Any Not a rule question but still need umps help...

Hits Happen 20

Endless Retirement tour
Trying to get some info from some umps on a charity tournament we are looking to have next year.

We are planning a 16 team round robin format tournament next year to benifit Cystic Fibrosis. We have it drawn up with four fields 16 teams and in the end works out to 9 games on each field so roughly 10- 11 hours of ball on 4 fields.

• What is a typical fee for umping tournaments is it set fee or game based?
  • How many home plate umps would one schedule for something like this?
  • Calling 9 games with little breaks in between and a 30 minute break for seeding makes for a really long day is that to much to ask?
I've talked to a few of the umps I am social with at the fields but they get pretty tight lipped about money and or voulteering for events like this.

We want to make this a good tournament and our main desire is to have fun, and raise awarness and money to help those with CF.

So any help would be greaty appreciated.

DeputyUICHousto

Addicted to Softballfans
It depends...

Are you wanting one umpire per field? If so, then the per game fee is higher. Talk to your local league director and see how much they pay league umpires.

If you're going to use a two umpire system then the best thing to do would be to have 3 umpires per field. That way, each umpire would have a game off after calling one game on the plate and then moving to the bases for a second game. If you do that then they should be able to umpire pretty much non-stop.

Hits Happen 20

Endless Retirement tour
Are you wanting one umpire per field? If so, then the per game fee is higher. Talk to your local league director and see how much they pay league umpires.

If you're going to use a two umpire system then the best thing to do would be to have 3 umpires per field. That way, each umpire would have a game off after calling one game on the plate and then moving to the bases for a second game. If you do that then they should be able to umpire pretty much non-stop.

It is usually one ump per game round these parts and it is usually $25- $30 per game.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
It is usually one ump per game round these parts and it is usually $25- $30 per game.

I'll second Deputy's statement about 2 on, 1 off. It REALLY helps to keep the umpires fresh and tip-top. Anything more than 2 games in a row, and the umpires will be grinding through it. It gets kind of rough.

If you absolutely must go with one-umpire games, then I'd suggest having them call one on, one off.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Some guys thrive on working five, six, seven or more games in a row. Some brag about it like it's a badge of honor.

Not that it can't be done. I've worked seven straight before in a pinch, when another umpire didn't show up. I don't care who you are, there is no way that you are going to be as effective an umpire in, say, games five through eight as you were in games one through four. Fatigue is inevitable. And it's worse in 80 or 90 degree weather (not to mention a health risk). Plus, how many of you work a job that requires you to go over eight hours straight with a lunch/dinner break?

At some point you're going to hit the wall. At that point, you are doing the teams a disservice by offering substandard umpiring. If your main goal as an umpire is to rake in as much money as you can, then I suppose you would jump at the chance to work this many games straight. But if you really care about doing a good job, the right way, you're going to have to admit that you'll need a break every two or three games to cool off, keep hydrated, get some food and stay mentally and physically sharp.

You might find four guys willing to go nine straight. Just be prepared deal with more complaints from the teams the longer you go, because the effectiveness of the umpires will drop off as the games pile up.

I'd recommend starting out with at least two umpires assigned to each field that can alternate every few games. Then maybe think about bringing in a different crew for the second half. Either that or have a guy come in and work three or four straight, then bring in a fresh bunch to finish the day.

Last edited:
the 3 per field is great,i have done that and it really helps.since this is a charity tourney they might do it cheaper for you unless they are there just for the money.

yem549

Bullpen Catcher
Another option is winning teams supply umps for next game on that diamond til you get close to the end, then get real umps for say quarterfinals on

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
Another option is winning teams supply umps for next game on that diamond til you get close to the end, then get real umps for say quarterfinals on

I played a tourney on base last year where the losing team had to supply umps for the next game. Umping wasn't fun then.

buckster

Addicted to Softballfans
I too like the 2 on, 1 off system. It keeps umpires fresh and allows for a good flow that is easy to follow. If you're running 1 umpire per field then I would recommend switching every other game. Main thing is to just give the umpires you do get enough rest to re-focus. Worst thing ever in a tournament siutation is to get an exhausted umpire who is working the 'ship between two teams who worked hard to get to that point.