NSA nsa-fpsr

koz

Addicted to Softballfans
nsa-fpsr (force play slide rule).
Please help. Can't find the rule in the book for this.
Situation:
R1 on first, ground ball to SS, flips to second, but R1 takes out second basemen with a slide, but it's way to the outfield side of second base.
What, if any, are the restrictions on the sliding runner?

Thanks in advance.

Gulf Coast Blue

Addicted to Softballfans
nsa-fpsr (force play slide rule).
Please help. Can't find the rule in the book for this.
Situation:
R1 on first, ground ball to SS, flips to second, but R1 takes out second basemen with a slide, but it's way to the outfield side of second base.
What, if any, are the restrictions on the sliding runner?

Thanks in advance.

If it is anything like the Baseball NFHS FPSR, the slide must be straight to the bag and it can also be called if the runner over-slides and contacts the fielder.

Bretman is better schooled on the NFHS Baseball interpretation....so I will defer to him if I am a bit off.

Joel

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
GC Blue pretty much has it.

There is no "force play slide rule" in the NSA rule book, or any other softball rule book I'm aware of. High school baseball has a version of this rule and NCAA baseball has a slightly different version. Is this maybe something that your league has added on it's own?

What the baseball FPSR says is that in any force play situation, if the runner elects to slide (he's not required to slide, by the way) then the slide must be directly at the base or away from the fielder. If the runner slides at the fielder who is off the bag, then it is interference and the runner is out. If less than two outs, then the batter-runner is also out.

This is basically the same rule for interference you have in softball, only the "force play slide rule" more narrowly defines what constitutes a legal slide and restricts how the runner can execute his slide or where he can contact the fielder.