NSA going to 44 cor balls???

bbaum17

Starting Player
Rumor on the street is that starting in 2018, NSA is switching over to 44cor balls and will have 1 approved stamped ball. Can anyone confirm or deny either one of these rumors? While I am all for 44cor balls again, I find it hard to believe that they'll regulate the balls to just one manufacturer.

bbaum17

Starting Player
I completely agree, that's why I find that part of it so hard to believe. I know there has been a lot of complaints here in KY to NSA about the 52's and the stupid bounces you get from them. Hopefully it'll be enough to get them to switch back to the 44's.

bbaum17

Starting Player
I see a lot of guys sit back on a hard grounder thinking the ball will stay down and on the 3rd or 4th bounce it'll grip and pop up. Can't tell you how many guys i've seen almost take a ball to the face from these hops.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
I see a lot of guys sit back on a hard grounder thinking the ball will stay down and on the 3rd or 4th bounce it'll grip and pop up. Can't tell you how many guys i've seen almost take a ball to the face from these hops.

We hit 52's almost exclusively. I have seen plenty of these hops and they are wicked. You see them a lot on the harder fields. Eventually you can tell which balls are going to do it and on what hop they'll do it on just from seeing them enough and you can field them accordingly.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Let me say this and you decide if the rumor is true, According to the license agreement NSA would have to notify all manufacturers of this change well in advance so we can sell through existing inventory and not start making balls for 2018. We build over 6 months in advance to be sure to maintain inventory. I have not heard anything about this.

As much as I love the NSA game, it's been replaced locally by USSSA/GSL. The biggest reason for this is the .52s.

Better game, cash payouts, and better roster policing and they still lost nearly all market share in Illinois.

But it's a great rumor.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
As much as I love the NSA game, it's been replaced locally by USSSA/GSL. The biggest reason for this is the .52s.

Better game, cash payouts, and better roster policing and they still lost nearly all market share in Illinois.

But it's a great rumor.
Because the game is about the composite Queens. That gsl ball can't be legal btw.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
All the leagues and tournies I play in around here use .52 balls. I much prefer them to other balls. You will occasionally see a weird hop on the IF, but its not bad. Any cor/compression ball will do the same thing if the IF is choppy.

I played in one of the few leagues that still uses .44s the other night. It was in the mid 50s and they felt like golf balls. It wasn't even fun.

We used ZN classic Ms for USSSA here last year and everyone agreed they were too much ball.

Frankly I hope NSA keeps the .52s

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
The gsl classic m is hotter than any zn I've ever hit. I haven't hit one in awhile, but this gsl ball is stupid. It's far hotter than the wsl 44/400 we used last year. Even in the dead of Summer.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I've yet to see a GSL classic M, but I'd assume they're the same as USSSA Gold Dot Extreme classic Ms. Those are rock hard, harder than ZNs. I'd go ahead and call them the best classic M made right now.

ZNs are plenty of ball, but Gold Dot Extremes are on another level. We used to hit the NSA Extremes here occasionally in tournies and they'd go 400' routinely.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans

You want roster policing, come play NSA in Missouri. Play within the confines of their points system and they still bump you if they don't like you. Thanks to our director I'm a gold player even though I didn't play a single inning of NSA last year.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
The gsl classic m is hotter than any zn I've ever hit. I haven't hit one in awhile, but this gsl ball is stupid. It's far hotter than the wsl 44/400 we used last year. Even in the dead of Summer.
Does this ball have a Utrip classic M stamp?

bbaum17

Starting Player
You want roster policing, come play NSA in Missouri. Play within the confines of their points system and they still bump you if they don't like you. Thanks to our director I'm a gold player even though I didn't play a single inning of NSA last year.

Must have given his favorite bat a bad review lol.

Directors are pretty relaxed here in Kentucky as far as policing NSA. They are pretty close with all the guys that play sanction ball so they are each familiar with what level everyone can compete at. If you are close on points, they will work with you to bring some guys down so you can stay competitive.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Around here, NSA is what you play if you want to grab some guys and throw a team together for the weekend. The tournaments are low key and there's basically zero roster policing.

bbaum17

Starting Player
Around here, NSA is what you play if you want to grab some guys and throw a team together for the weekend. The tournaments are low key and there's basically zero roster policing.

NSA feels like the left overs from softball country are playing tourneys

Pretty much the only thing we have here in KY since NSA is based 5 minutes outside of Lexington. In order to play Utrip or ASA you have to drive to Cincinnati or head down to Tennessee.