Nww Freak 30 comes in 24 oz... thoughts?

Cappy

Manager
I sold my 24. But I was able to hit homeruns with it.

The 24 if swung full out leads to a less fluid swing which is a major factor to distance... I have the same issue with my 26... key is to take a little off... if you do 24 it can work for you.
. Too heavy is no good either

Not sure who they are marketing too... but 24 will put it over the fence... my 2 cents...

jhitman

I sold my 24. But I was able to hit homeruns with it.

The 24 if swung full out leads to a less fluid swing which is a major factor to distance... I have the same issue with my 26... key is to take a little off... if you do 24 it can work for you.
. Too heavy is no good either

Not sure who they are marketing too... but 24 will put it over the fence... my 2 cents...

We had a local player here that was swinging a 25 ounce Monsta bat and was hitting the ball in the 400' range with the 52 cor 300 comp softballs. Every time I see that I think of that old physics equation...... large Force = Mass times Acceleration and then Power = [work/time] = ((the force × distance traveled)/over time).

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
Make an ASA 24 or 25 oz Miken and I will buy it. I can swing 26 but need bat speed and control to help place the ball. Bring it on...

smarkley3

Certified Trap Hoe
We had a local player here that was swinging a 25 ounce Monsta bat and was hitting the ball in the 400' range with the 52 cor 300 comp softballs. Every time I see that I think of that old physics equation...... large Force = Mass times Acceleration and then Power = [work/time] = ((the force × distance traveled)/over time).

Physics dont apply to my swing, if fact its kind of incredible I can hit the ball at all, LOL

jhitman

Physics dont apply to my swing, if fact its kind of incredible I can hit the ball at all, LOL

LOL......I try to work hard on mechanics, physics whatever I can do to get better. When you get older and are not 6' 3" and 240 you need to do everything you can to get an edge.

Donger73

Addicted to Softballfans
LOL......I try to work hard on mechanics, physics whatever I can do to get better. When you get older and are not 6' 3" and 240 you need to do everything you can to get an edge.

I'm older and that size, but until I'm old enough to swing an Ultra....I want that edge too lol

jhitman

Why is that? Is it a safety issue with the city parks? Or do the players just prefer singlewall bats?

I think it's more for safety. Our LD and county decided about 8-9 years ago to use the 52 cor 300 comp softballs for safety, but did allow us to use USSSA or ASA bats whichever you prefer. But no senior bats. Quite honestly with the mush softballs that we use the senior bats probably won't make much of a difference.

Country469

so you told him that if he stepped up 2 oz he would hit it even further?

newsflash guys, you aren't swinging the 25 much harder than the 27. Especially if you have dog**** swings.

Country469

also, whats the dudes name and conference team who hits it 400 with that combo? We'll see if he's actually legit

Country469

Bat Weight, Swing Speed, and Batted Ball Velocity
Anyone who has swung a bat knows that it is easier to swing a lighter bat than it is to swing a heavier bat. More importantly, it is possible to swing a lighter bat faster than a heavier bat. Exactly how the bat swing speed is related to bat weight for a given player is a little harder to determine. Terry Bahill[2,7,8] and his colleague have extensively studied the relationship between bat swing speeds and bat weights for a wide variety of players. Bahill developed the Bat ChooserTM machine to measure bat swing speed, and uses the results to determine the Ideal Bat WeightTM for an individual player. This device has been successfully used by numerous players who have greatly increased their batting averages after correctly choosing an appropriate weight bat, as well as by several college teams who have gone on to win championships after finding their correct bat weights. His data shows definitively that players cannot swing heavy bats as quickly as they can lighter bats, and the details vary somewhat from player to player and vary more considerably depending on the technical playing ability of the individual. For example, using results from his published work[7,8] measurements of the bat speed a function of bat weight for a Major League power hitter as may be fit by the straight line equation
v2b= - 0.42 m2 + 75 (power hitter)

where speed is in mph and weight is in ounces. In contrast, measurements for a 10 year old Little League player were better fit by a hyperbola
(m2 + 28)(v2b+12.8) = 2728. (little leaguer)

Let's assume that the mass of the baseball is a constant m1=5.125oz, the coefficient of restitution is e=0.55, and that the initial velocity of the baseball is representative of a typical pitch speed, (v1b=-90mph for the Major League player and v1b=-40mph for the Little League player). Then we can substitute either of the equations for bat speed into the equation for batted ball speed and make some plots like those shown by Bahill in his papers[2,7] and book[8]. The blue dots with error bars represent measurements of bat swing speed for various bat weights. The blue curve in each plot shows how the bat swing speed decreases with increasing bat weight according to the equations above. The red curve in each plot shows how the resulting batted ball velocity depends on both the bat weight and the bat swing speed. Notice that the curves are very different for the Major League power hitter and the Little League. The professional has much more control over his bat swing speed, and can produce much greater final ball speed.

Both plots show that the batted ball velocity initially increases as the bat weight increases until the bat swing speed drops below a certain level after which the batted velocity begins to decrease again. This results in an "optimum" bat weight for each player, indicated by the black arrows in the plots. This optimum bat weight is the bat weight which will result in the fasted batted ball velocity for each player. The optimum bat weight for the professional power hitter is about 41oz, and about 16oz for the Little Leaguer.
Perhaps a pertinent question is why a major league power hitter would choose to use a lighter bat (say 32oz) when an optimal 41oz bat would produce a higher batted ball velocity? Two possibilities come to mind. First, the fact that you can swing a lighter bat faster means that you can wait just a little bit longer before committing to a swing. For a professional, the ability to wait even 1/10th of a second longer to watch a pitched ball can result in a considerable improvement in the chance of making contact. Secondly, most hitters can control a lighter bat more effectively than they can a heavier bat. Bat control affects the location of the bat as it crosses the plate, and more control over bat location is definitely a good thing when the pitched ball crosses the plate considerable variation in height or distance from the batter. Notice further, from the plot for the major league power hitter, that for bat weights in the range of 35oz to 45oz there is very minor change in the batted ball velocity. Using a 33oz bat instead of a 41oz bat will only very slightly reduce the batted ball velocity, but it will have a significant affect on the bat swing speed and the resulting swing time. Based on such a trade-off between ball speed and bat control, Bahill has defined the Ideal Bat WeightTM as the weight at which the batted ball speed drops 1% below the speed of the optimum batted ball speed bat weight. As shown in the plot, the Ideal Bat Weight for the power hitter is about 32-33oz. This is right in the weight range used by most professional players.

The results for the Little League player are quite different. The optimum bat weight, for maximum batted ball speed, is about 16oz, and the Ideal Bat Weight is about 12-13oz. As was shown in the table at the top of this page, most available 30-inch wood and aluminum Little League bats weigh between 20 and 26oz, which is well above both the optimum and ideal weights for this player. From the plot we can see that if this player used a 23oz bat he would have a much lower bat swing speed and a significantly lower batted ball velocity. Most young players are forced to use bats which are heavier than the ideal bat weight because light enough bats are not available. Only this year (2003) have composite bats become available that begin to approach 16oz for a 30-inch bat.

https://www.acs.psu.edu/drussell/bats/batw8.html

jhitman

My latest comment was only regarding that they did not allow senior bats in our local leagues because our LD is concerned with safety. With the 52's that we use for league play I don't think the senior bats really give you much if any advantage. If you play with the higher compression balls that a whole different animal.