Obstruction on first base

ElderMartin

I play in USSSA.

There is a secondary runner's base on first.

Let's say the runner is running and is properly running to the colored secondary base. The first baseman receives the ball fumbles it, falls down in the path scrambling for the ball. He somehow gets to his knees, leaning, and then lunges hard into the runner running to the safety bag. It's too late to avoid a collision, and it knocks the runner up in the air landing beyond the bag. Runner was presumably tagged.

Player is called out, but seems to be a very dangerous situation. Btw, this player has to have surgery to fix nasty arm injury.

Is there any rules that states the runner must be given a free lane to run or there is obstruction? People are at full speed fully expecting to be running through the base.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Did the fielder have possession of the ball when the batter-runner was forced to change their speed or direction? If so it can not be obstruction, a player with the ball can not obstruct. If the fielder did not have the ball it is obstruction and the proper award would be 1B. There may also be a case for a warning or ejection for unsportsmanlike conduct, but I'd have to see it to make that call.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
In that case, it would be in the judgement of the umpire whether or not the runner was forced to slow down or change course. That would be something that I would have to be there to see. It would also raise the question if the runner did not slow down or change direction, did "the runner deliberately and forcefully run into the defensive player." Which would cause an immediate dead ball, runner out and ejected, all other runners returned to the base they occupied at the time of the collision.

ureout

The Veteran
I play in USSSA.

There is a secondary runner's base on first.

Let's say the runner is running and is properly running to the colored secondary base. The first baseman receives the ball fumbles it, falls down in the path scrambling for the ball. He somehow gets to his knees, leaning, and then lunges hard into the runner running to the safety bag. It's too late to avoid a collision, and it knocks the runner up in the air landing beyond the bag. Runner was presumably tagged.

Player is called out, but seems to be a very dangerous situation. Btw, this player has to have surgery to fix nasty arm injury.

Is there any rules that states the runner must be given a free lane to run or there is obstruction? People are at full speed fully expecting to be running through the base.

i would not have interference on the runner as it was described above... the defense had an opportunity to make a play but booted the ball and then went into the runners path... . the runner was doing what he was supposed to do.. going to the safety bag