USSSA Obstruction

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
Co-ed. Runner on 1st. 2nd baseman fields a ground ball, throws it to me for the force at 2nd, and girl runner throws her hands in the air to try and distract me without peeling off, I attempt to throw but didn't so wouldn't hit the runner. I appeal for obstruction and the umpire says "no obstruction". Girl says "I'm allowed to break up a double play". She did this twice. On the second incident I was about to throw the ball to 1st and bean the chick but didn't, I don't want to be known as the douche who beaned a girl. I appeal again and umpire said "she ducked". I laugh in the umpires face and I told him "That was a flinch". So what is the call/rule?

TLDR
Girl throws hand up in my face trying to break up double play umpire says "play on" twice

Last edited:

MaverickAH

First of all, it wouldn't be "Obstruction", it would have been "Interference". Only the defense can commit obstruction. The offense can commit interference.

You don't, "appeal for interference". The umpire should either call it or not. Now you can have a debate with him about not making the call but it is not an appeal play.

Interference is a subjective call that's in the umpire's judgement especially when there is no actual physical contact. Rule only kicks in once the call is made.

Yes, I know that there are rules to the game but sometimes as an umpire, you have to temper your calls according to the level of play & the overall goal of the league. Upper or moderate level coed of a competitive nature? Yes, the call should be made in an instance where the put out runner makes a motion to distract. A lower level league full of novices that's designed to be fun for the participants? I probably don't make that call. I would've had a talk with that runner though to prevent another occurrence. I definitely would have made the call the 2nd time around.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
I can never remember who does what when it comes to obstruction/interferance. Is there a provision in the rule where the runner must allow the defense to make a play? Is the runner allowed to break up a double play?

MaverickAH

If runner is hit with thrown ball while interfering the call should be made regardless of level of play.. js

I was specifically referring to the play in question where no one was hit.

A runner that has already been put out is not necessarily guilty of anything if hit by a thrown ball. They can't just magically disappear & as long as they're not doing anything inappropriate, they're good. By your statement a defensive player could get a cheap out simply by throwing the ball at & hitting the runner! This is not kickball!

A runner that has been put out should just continue in a straight line & not make contact with the defense. It's the defense's responsibility to work around them. Veering off left or right is what's unexpected & more likely to result in an interference call than just continuing straight.

If there is a close play at a base & the runner wants to legitimately slide into the base? They're good!

And FTR, there is no such thing as a mandatory slide rule...….

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes as you said this particular play is subjective and a judgment and you would not make a interference call on it, but here and I'm sure in alot of leagues/tourneys if the runner is forces out by far and defense us trying to turn a dp and throws the ball that hits said runner with hands in the air and yelling SOME umps will/do make the call.. i know runner can't disappear but instead of waving hands and yelling they should probably try to figure out which way to peel off base path instead of interfering.. imo

MaverickAH

I just love how you take part of what I wrote, add something else to it & then present it as if it's what I wrote in the first place..... :rolleyes:

Hiltz

Built for comfort
...girl runner throws her hands in the air to try and distract me without peeling off, I attempt to throw but didn't so wouldn't hit the runner.

Do you not step off the bag to the side before you throw? What if the runner had just continued straight to the bag without putting her hands up; would you have hit her?

i know runner can't disappear but instead of waving hands and yelling they should probably try to figure out which way to peel off base path instead of interfering.. imo

NEVER peel off to either side. The middle infielder turning the double should be stepping off to either side, if you veer the same way you could be losing some teeth AND getting an interference call.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Yes I do and Yes I do, i watch where the 2b or ss is taking the throw and as i said (if im out by a mile) i peel away from the throw.. i dont not jump and screem with arms waving in the air like a jackass

Last edited:

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
So veering unintentionally (to avoid) interference and getting hit with the ball does call for interference but someone waving and yelling staying in the way of fielders throw and getting hit does not draw interference.. hmm ok

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Throw it in her face, maybe she'll learn.
That la kinda what i was saying, 1st response to that was (it depends on level of play), all I'm saying is the level of play doesn't matter, if it warrants a call then call it, i also said around here and I'm sure I'm many other places if the ball is thrown and it huts the jackass waving hand and yelling and not trying to avoid being hit interference is called that's all no more no less

Last edited:

tonys1

That la kinda what i was saying, ist response to that was (it depend on level of play), all I'm saying is the level of play doesn't matter, if it warrants a call then call it, i also said around here and I'm sure I'm many other places if the ball is thrown and it huts the jackass waving hand and yelling and not trying to avoid being hit interference is called that's all no more no less

At some point, a little courtesy and common sense has to be present. I am assuming however Clement is not just parked on the base and trying to throw straight off the bag. Runner should slide or run on the opposite side of the fielder throwing. Ump / runner's team mates / Clement can't talk some sense into the runner, then maybe a ball to the face is the best solution.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
Do you not step off the bag to the side before you throw? What if the runner had just continued straight to the bag without putting her hands up; would you have hit her?

I play SS, I'm running towards 2nd for the force, it's kind of hard to side step when my momentum is carrying me towards 1st, which is possibly why the rule was written in part to avoid collisions and hit runners. And no, I would not have hit the girl just like post #1 said. Co-ed is more fun than anything for me. Men's it's totally different story, I'd go full Rougned Odor on the runner and throw it waist high at them so they're forced to peel off or get hit.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
And I'll toss you in a hearbeat if I think you're intentionally throwing it at the runner.

For the OP, it should have been interference when she put her hands up, that was the act of interference and the runner closest to home should have been called out. If it would have happened a second time I would probably have tossed the runner for unsportsmanlike conduct. Runners should get out of the way if feasible, but if it's close keep going straight to the base and you should be fine. It is the fielders responsibility to avoid the runner as long as the runner is where they are supposed to be.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Incorrect. If the umpire feels that the actions of the runner impeded the defense from the opportunity to make an out than interference should be called. No throw needs to be made or attempted.