Other Odd situation - what would your call be?

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
This was in a MLB game the other night, (Braves/Nationals, Nationals batting, and they ultimately won the game), but the rules are the same as far as I can tell on this situation. I think the umpires got the end result wrong even though technically they got all the calls that transpired during the play right.

R1 on 1B. Batter hits fly ball to deep left center. 8 makes a play on the ball at the wall. The ball goes into the glove of 8, as he and the glove impact the wall. Ball comes out of the glove and is caught by 7 on the deflection. Umpire(s) indicate out on the catch by 7. R1 has advanced past 2B and re-touches 2B to retreat to first on the out signal. BR has rounded first base, is about 4-5 steps towards second base and slowly start to return to foul territory/dugout after he has been called out. R1 reaches first before the appeal throw while BR is still 3-4 steps towards 2B and then BR retreats to foul territory.

Umpires then confer, rule the ball hit the wall during the initial play by 8, making it a hit by the BR, place R1 on first, call the BR out for passing R1 on the base paths.

Do you agree with the final decision? I don't. Yes, technically the BR was past R1, but only because the umpires made the wrong initial call which then caused the passing the preceding runner call.

Video Link of play:
https://www.mlb.com/video/must-c-soto-out-on-wild-play/c-2357935383?tid=11493214

lb16

the natural
Once out was called by umps, if they went to instant replay to correct catch/no-catch batter should have been awarded 1st runner on 1st should have been awarded 2nd. You are penalizing the offence and awarding defense an out they didn't earn.

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
Once out was called by umps, if they went to instant replay to correct catch/no-catch batter should have been awarded 1st runner on 1st should have been awarded 2nd. You are penalizing the offence and awarding defense an out they didn't earn.

That's my thought on it as well, except R1 was already between 2nd and 3rd when the initial out call was made, and I would think he should get 3rd.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
From witnesses at the game, U3 immediately ruled no catch, but they kept the out by ruling the BR passed the runner returning from 2B. Personally, I disagree with the passing call.