Off Balance Swing

Streetlight2

Greetings all!

Video added to post 8

I'm having a bit of a problem. Every time I finish my swing, I'm falling to the left (I'm a righty) and feel like I'm not driving through the ball. Even when I square a ball up, it doesn't go as far or hard as I thought it would. Does this sound like a problem of not opening up my hips? I feel like my back leg collaspes and I'm incredibly off balance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Sounds like you have no weight transfer and you may inadvertently be stepping toward the 3B dugout with your front foot. A video would be helpful.

There are any number of things you're probably doing wrong, but seeing a video would be the only way to go about diagnosing and correcting them.

4xtra

Player/Coach
Greetings all!

I'm having a bit of a problem. Every time I finish my swing, I'm falling to the left (I'm a righty) and feel like I'm not driving through the ball. Even when I square a ball up, it doesn't go as far or hard as I thought it would. Does this sound like a problem of not opening up my hips? I feel like my back leg collaspes and I'm incredibly off balance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I agree with TWMCCOY.
Many times if you fall off balance like that, you are stepping toward 3rd base rather than toward the pitcher.
And you could be under utilizing the rear leg for hip thrust and power
Record yourself swinging, post it on here and we can go from there...

WillW3

Starting Player
Practice over exaggerating your weight transfer, so that your back leg actually comes off the ground at impact. Be sure that the lead arm is extended fully or near it at impact also. I almost had to practice diving into the ball to break the same habit. I worked on hitting the middle of the ball on a level plane also.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Practice over exaggerating your weight transfer, so that your back leg actually comes off the ground at impact. Be sure that the lead arm is extended fully or near it at impact also. I almost had to practice diving into the ball to break the same habit. I worked on hitting the middle of the ball on a level plane also.

Yeah, I'd almost rather overstride a bit than understride. What this guy describes sounds like stepping open and not striding nearly enough.

LngBallLvr

Addicted to Softballfans
I think that set up could alter your swing plane and mess up your swing because you may be swinging to miss the bucket. That said, it would be much better to have a setup that you could change heights. I like your innovation though.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
It looks like your using your legs to power yourself up and down, rather than towards the ball...this makes you take a very short stride

Your hands and arms also look super tense...relax and get yourself into a rythym with your stance until impact.

Like Will said, use your weight transfer to shift your power towards the ball

yellowmein

BP on a Tee

Try to keep your eyes on his foot work.
His left/front heel in particular.
I would say your front foot stays on the tippy toes and if you make a minor adjustment to making some heel/ground contact you will have a good energy transfer.

Keep at it and you will see improvements without a doubt