OG Snake Combat question

Jimmy34

Board Prick
Westexas sent me an OG Snake Combat for my first season of 50+ and I love it...my question is that it says 1.20 and wasn't actually put out for "senior" softball from what I know and when I asked my Freedom director if I could use it they said yes...the 1.20BPF and no senior stamp makes it OK I guess...

What's the chances this thing passes compression???

BruceinGa

always online
Does Freedom check compression? When I played it a couple of years ago they didn't check bat compression.

HITTS

The grey snake is approved in all senior assoc. Leagues are the ones which pick and choose approved bats.

Senior bat stamps are a recent thing. The1.20 bats have been the standard for senior softball. ASA don't allowed the 1.20 bats. One of the best bats made.

westtexas

"Godfather"
Not a chance in hades that bat would pass a compression test on an ASA or USSSA tester with their standards. Dont know what freedom goes by though..

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
NO way this one is passing
10945038_10204458696880813_523946104187305016_n.jpg

ansay

Addicted to Softballfans
combat

I have a blue combat was told there not legal for senior ball because no 1.20 on it

floo56

Addicted to Softballfans
Never heard or experienced a tester at a Senior event! Interesting, more info. required....Aloha, Fabe

ju25

Addicted to Softballfans
Senior softball used the old testing method, sweetspot(not whole barrel) out of wrapper (no advanced break-in) and a 47/375 ball. 1.21 came into effect when they ran out of 47/375 balls and started using 44/375 balls. OG Snake was made for senior softball 1.20 bpf but no associaton stamps, the blue/ gray model had no 1.20 on it so it was illegal. OG Snake is my gamer and I own many senior bats,Combat OG (Red) Centenarian( Both White & black) Ambush, Wanted, Twilight, Worth 454, Demarini Geezer, One(Blue) , Miken Ultra II (red). I have never heard of senior softball testing bats, IMO if they did most would fail after break-in. Years ago Kettering did some testing and the Ultra came in at 1.7, Synergy at 1.5 and Titanium at 1.3 after break-in.

Senior softball used the old testing method, sweetspot(not whole barrel) out of wrapper (no advanced break-in) and a 47/375 ball. 1.21 came into effect when they ran out of 47/375 balls and started using 44/375 balls. OG Snake was made for senior softball 1.20 bpf but no associaton stamps, the blue/ gray model had no 1.20 on it so it was illegal. OG Snake is my gamer and I own many senior bats,Combat OG (Red) Centenarian( Both White & black) Ambush, Wanted, Twilight, Worth 454, Demarini Geezer, One(Blue) , Miken Ultra II (red). I have never heard of senior softball testing bats, IMO if they did most would fail after break-in. Years ago Kettering did some testing and the Ultra came in at 1.7, Synergy at 1.5 and Titanium at 1.3 after break-in.

don't you mean 47-525......the blue og combat was canadian model and it did not have any 1.20 on it like the gray's.... it was out there first,had a dummy complain about my og snake that had the 1.20 on but didn't say anything about the canadian blue one....the only time i seen a tester was when corky had his truck...he would test for ya but it wasn't a mandatory thing...most senior bats would start at just good enough for the ASA standard(1550) but would get hotter real quick.....most senior bats usually come in about 1200 after some break in....

Jimmy34

Board Prick
Does Freedom check compression? When I played it a couple of years ago they didn't check bat compression.

I have never heard of compression testing for senior bats. What tester? What is the numbers?

Never heard or experienced a tester at a Senior event! Interesting, more info. required....Aloha, Fabe

I wanted to say the same thing as you guys but thought I was the only one who hasn't seen this.

Sorry guys, if you read my original post I'm talking about using it in a Freedom tourney because it's actually allowed because of the 1.20BPF on it and I'm gonna have it checked this morning because they test bats here if you hit someone and I'm gonna have it checked before I use it to make sure it's OK...

The senior tourneys here in FL (Florida half century) actually do take your bat and have it tested if you hit someone and they have to leave the game...

On a side note if you ask me, the seniors are shaving the **** outta bats down here...it might be as bad as regular ball here...seniors here are effing cheaters...don't get it...

I stand corrected, the new test ball is 47/525 since 2007.

no the new test ball is the 44-375 like you had stated.....the 47-525 was the old test ball.......

now that a lot of the assoc use the 52-300 ball wonder if there will be another change for the test ball....

ju25

Addicted to Softballfans
Which test do they use? Senior softball only tests the COP and the bat out of wrapper (no swings). I doubt any senior bat can pass USSSA compression test (220psi & whole barrel)) after 200 swings. I've witnessed many USSSA bats that have failed this test after 500+ swings. This was supposedly the reason for making bats that unravel before they can exceed these limits. Curious to see what the results will be. Yes it is ridiculous that seniors are shaving their bats, don't think it's as bad as the kids, but it is happening.

ju25

Addicted to Softballfans
This is from the senior site:RE: SSUSA Bat Performance Standard

Terry Hennessy of Senior Softball-USA has asked me to document a change in the SSUSA bat performance standard. This original SSUSA standard was the ASTM Standard F1890-05, with 47/375 softballs. Because these softballs were not readily available, the test softball characteristics were changed in 2007 to 47/525. The increase in BPF that this change brought about was, however, not incorporated into the BPF limit, which remained at 1.20. As a consequence, softball bats that were initially compliant could become non-compliant.

To avoid this possibility, SSUSA has decided to increase their BPF limit to 1.21. Specifically, the new SSUSA standard requires that the softballs used in the tests have compressions in the 475 - 525 lb range and CORs in the .460 - .470 range. The 47/525 balls are readily available and have been used for the past seven years in performance tests for SSUSA, USSSA, NSA, and most other softball organizations. Also, the higher compression softballs are more suitable for bat testing because their compression measurements are much more stable (repeated compression measurements give similar results) and consistent (compression measurements at different points on the balls give similar results). This BPF limit change does not permit more-powerful bats to become compliant (as long as 47/375, or weaker, softballs are used in the ballgames). It has simply adjusted the limit to account for the increase in test ball compression.

Using the 47/525 softballs, the current 1.21 SSUSA Standard differs from the 1.20 USSSA Standard in the following ways.

1. The bats are tested only at the COP for SSUSA, and not at other points along the bat barrel. The maximum possible bat performance might therefore be missed.

2. The BPF 1s evaluated to only two decimal places for SSUSA. This means that BPFs as high as 1.214 (ABPFs as high as 1.264) are allowed. For USSSA, the maximum allowed BPF is 1.200.

3. Only new bats are tested for SSUSA. Possible performance improvements with usage will therefore not be detected.

smoke

50AAA USA National Champs
Sorry guys, if you read my original post I'm talking about using it in a Freedom tourney because it's actually allowed because of the 1.20BPF on it and I'm gonna have it checked this morning because they test bats here if you hit someone and I'm gonna have it checked before I use it to make sure it's OK...

The senior tourneys here in FL (Florida half century) actually do take your bat and have it tested if you hit someone and they have to leave the game...

On a side note if you ask me, the seniors are shaving the **** outta bats down here...it might be as bad as regular ball here...seniors here are effing cheaters...don't get it...

Jimmy, we went to the TOC last year and one of the umps was talking about shaved bats and said I'd be surprised at the amount in Florida senior ball, he even asked if anyone needed some work done, as he knew someone close by
Senior bats are hot enough without work. SMOKE

fives55

Addicted to Softballfans
I've said before that I don't understand super hot bats and 44/375 stotes. But have played 10 games now in senior(55) and I get it. It's pretty impressive to see 65 and 70 yr old guys hitting it 350. They have to, because I have also seen a ton of these same guys hit it 300 to the fence and get thrown out at 1st or 2nd. As long as the pitcher has a screen, I think the rest of the guys know to stand back far enough to get out of the way if they can't glove it. I saw an 80 yr old dive for a ball a wk ago! Where else are you going to see some thing like that? Other 80 yr old's fall and break their hip.

What did I get myself into? Still play ASA and now have to start working on my senior collection of bats. Started out using original freak and u trip recoil. Found a cheap combat senior wanted that is hotter than those with just 30 swings on it. Ultra 2, Dudley, Reebok, oh the humanity!

Jimmy34

Board Prick
Well that ended that theory...on a USSSA tester my RI Z2000 was 1 tick over the 220 and the Snake OG Combat DaBomb, a sickening 140...my L2 was 230 and my OG Dual Stamp Z200 balance was a hair under 200 (my ASA gamer)...

westtexas

"Godfather"
Well that ended that theory...on a USSSA tester my RI Z2000 was 1 tick over the 220 and the Snake OG Combat DaBomb, a sickening 140...my L2 was 230 and my OG Dual Stamp Z200 balance was a hair under 200 (my ASA gamer)...

I told you that bat was hot. I hit one over the A in Angels stadium at the winter worlds in Phoenix.

Which test do they use? Senior softball only tests the COP and the bat out of wrapper (no swings). I doubt any senior bat can pass USSSA compression test (220psi & whole barrel)) after 200 swings. I've witnessed many USSSA bats that have failed this test after 500+ swings. This was supposedly the reason for making bats that unravel before they can exceed these limits. Curious to see what the results will be. Yes it is ridiculous that seniors are shaving their bats, don't think it's as bad as the kids, but it is happening.

This is from the senior site:RE: SSUSA Bat Performance Standard

Terry Hennessy of Senior Softball-USA has asked me to document a change in the SSUSA bat performance standard. This original SSUSA standard was the ASTM Standard F1890-05, with 47/375 softballs. Because these softballs were not readily available, the test softball characteristics were changed in 2007 to 47/525. The increase in BPF that this change brought about was, however, not incorporated into the BPF limit, which remained at 1.20. As a consequence, softball bats that were initially compliant could become non-compliant.

To avoid this possibility, SSUSA has decided to increase their BPF limit to 1.21. Specifically, the new SSUSA standard requires that the softballs used in the tests have compressions in the 475 - 525 lb range and CORs in the .460 - .470 range. The 47/525 balls are readily available and have been used for the past seven years in performance tests for SSUSA, USSSA, NSA, and most other softball organizations. Also, the higher compression softballs are more suitable for bat testing because their compression measurements are much more stable (repeated compression measurements give similar results) and consistent (compression measurements at different points on the balls give similar results). This BPF limit change does not permit more-powerful bats to become compliant (as long as 47/375, or weaker, softballs are used in the ballgames). It has simply adjusted the limit to account for the increase in test ball compression.

Using the 47/525 softballs, the current 1.21 SSUSA Standard differs from the 1.20 USSSA Standard in the following ways.

1. The bats are tested only at the COP for SSUSA, and not at other points along the bat barrel. The maximum possible bat performance might therefore be missed.

2. The BPF 1s evaluated to only two decimal places for SSUSA. This means that BPFs as high as 1.214 (ABPFs as high as 1.264) are allowed. For USSSA, the maximum allowed BPF is 1.200.

3. Only new bats are tested for SSUSA. Possible performance improvements with usage will therefore not be detected.

that ball is a fastpitch ball with those specs....if terry said that then he is not right...the og ball for testing was the 47-525....it was then changed to 44-375 and then a couple of years later they allowed the bpf to go to 1.21 to compensate for the lower spec ball.....senior ball is the only assoc i know of that only does COP for the test.....all the others test the whole barrel and after break like you said......