OG Thread: Post what aluminum bat you used back in the day

HitDingers

Cryogenic-Worth-Carl-Rose-C405-SUPERCELL-VT-12.jpg
Cryogenic-Worth-Carl-Rose-C405-SUPERCELL-VT-12-_1.jpg
s-l640.jpg

Had to do some digging online to find these dinosaurs lol.

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
In 1998 the first bat I ever hit a homerun with in my 1st full year of playing softball was a purple Worth. I may be wrong, but I think it was a Wendell Rickard Supercell 2. It belonged to the coach and it was basically the team bat. I'm pretty sure the first bat I ever bought for myself was a green EST. I owned most versions of the EST line at one point or another, plus a few 3DX's. Pretty sure I had a Demarini B52 at one point in time too.

Currently, I still have 2 blue EST Max bats. Can't remember the model numbers but one has the 2000 stamp, and one has the 2004 stamp. I also have a 3DX with the 2000 stamp and "no return" mark on the taper.....plus a Hammer

Matth

This one crushed the ball back in 2001.

Attachments

• F3EBF71F-9497-4FE6-BCCD-E38FE2BEDACE.png
    F3EBF71F-9497-4FE6-BCCD-E38FE2BEDACE.png
    471.4 KB · Views: 48

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well

I remember some other guys on the team having that bat and it being pretty good. I probably swung it a few times while I was stationed in Korea. For some reason, I was loyal to Worth back in those days though. The OG Freak was the first non Worth bat I ever owned.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
My first ever softball bat was a Demarini Ultimate Weapon. Got it for $89.99 and was in disbelief that I spent so much on a bat. Dented/cracked it within a year, got a store credit for the value, and put it towards a TPS XXL end load. It was a 26oz and had a 10" barrel (heavier ones had longer barrels) and my teammates called it the "Thunder Toothpick". Then composites got popular and ruined everything.

I remember there being an orange Tri-Shell with a 10" barrel that I drooled over. Not much for online shopping in Canada at the time and the local stores wanted like $400 for them, needless to say I never owned one.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
B&o tps powerdome was the first bat I ever owned.

The orange Trishell was very nice.

JFBallPlayer

2010 easton connextion(White handle, blue barrel) composite handle with aluminum barrel 27oz. was a fun bat for a year or 2 then I switched to a Miken Freak 98 till the city changed from ASA to USSSA bats.

Matth

My first ever softball bat was a Demarini Ultimate Weapon. Got it for $89.99 and was in disbelief that I spent so much on a bat. Dented/cracked it within a year, got a store credit for the value, and put it towards a TPS XXL end load. It was a 26oz and had a 10" barrel (heavier ones had longer barrels) and my teammates called it the "Thunder Toothpick". Then composites got popular and ruined everything.

I remember there being an orange Tri-Shell with a 10" barrel that I drooled over. Not much for online shopping in Canada at the time and the local stores wanted like $400 for them, needless to say I never owned one.
We bought the green one as a team and we all used it for a season or two until it lost its pop. We bought the orange one after that. It was a bomber as well. I used quite a few other bats during that time, but the tri-shells are the only ones I specifically remember.

defos

In 1998 the first bat I ever hit a homerun with in my 1st full year of playing softball was a purple Worth. I may be wrong, but I think it was a Wendell Rickard Supercell 2. It belonged to the coach and it was basically the team bat.

I think that one was a Supercell without the 2, but it seems to have the thinner walls like the 2. I have one - probably my favorite - but I didn't use it much in our ASA league because it had buzz when it hit the ground after I hit the ball. I thought it might get questioned, and didn't know at the time what was inside a Supercell that could be loose. I drilled a tiny hole through the handle and a little bigger one in the end of the knob trying to find the source of the buzz. I later found there's nothing inside a Supercell but the chunk of epoxy that is the endload. I covered the hole in the handle with tape and shot some construction glue in the knob which cured the buzz. I probably wouldn't have ever had a problem, but it was now an altered bat and I didn't want to take a chance. I've had a bunch of Supercells and Supercell 2s, mostly 30 oz. Perfect for my swing. I still have about 8 of them, including a couple that are like new.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Mid/late 90's ddw ulitmate distance, ultimate weapon did the job for me as well as worth powercells and Easton redline ccore

blakcherry329

Late 80s I was swinging an orange Adirondack 38oz. It was thin like a fungo, almost. It felt like a lead pipe but the ball would fly off the bat. I also swung the Easton Black Magic, 35oz and 38oz. Then the TPS line (Blue and Powerdomes). Then, my all-time favorite aluminum single wall: Silver Carl Rose 29oz. I have a 28oz version, right now, just for pickup Clincher games.

HitDingers

The barrel on that Supercell VT Carl Rose I swung was shaped like a triangle with I retire it, those bats are from the late 90s/early 2000s. The Supercell EST had a small sweet spot but when you hit it there it would jump. I miss those days when you had only a hand full of guys in the league that could hit it out, I was the only one on my team that could hit it out regular so I got to use the 2 HR limit every game.

2bs-into-1bs

I hit like a little girl.
38oz Easton Black Magic and a 38oz Combat something or another, can't remember. I can barely get those around these days, but man those blue dots flew off of them back then.

D-ROCK13

s-l300.jpg
Dudley Thunder single wall, 34oz is the only aluminum I have left, silver carl rose, and big 38oz black magics, and most of the est/pst/3dxs were all fun in their time

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
started playing in 01. we had a demo demolition. when i came home from college my first bat was a gold est. I then added a techfire rage. the freak 100 was out by then and along with teh syn2 was taking the asa world by storm. I got my hands on a PST Max and used it until they were banned then got a B&G PST and a PST Xtra and used them until i eventually switched to the white and orange stealth.

Rooster210

P-Pumpah #1
other than a Hammer when I first started, the ST1Z took the cake for me til we cracked it and I used that in 2008

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
All these bats we used for years and now you're lucky to get one year out of a bat.

I'm in year 4 of using my 2015 Connell Legit. I had to epoxy the knob back on it last year, and other than bag/ground rash it's fine. Also....I don't hit very hard, so there's that.

Mr. G

(213) L.A. Confidential
When I first started playing in the mid 90's, the Demarini Double Wall Distance then Easton Redline CCore were where it was at for me.

-G

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm in year 4 of using my 2015 Connell Legit. I had to epoxy the knob back on it last year, and other than bag/ground rash it's fine. Also....I don't hit very hard, so there's that.
I guarantee you wouldn't get that out of a newer comp if you play where they test, no matter how softly you hit. Even toto soft. Lol

Have you ever had it tested?

blakcherry329

When I first started playing in the mid 90's, the Demarini Double Wall Distance then Easton Redline CCore were where it was at for me.

-G
I never liked the Easton Redline bats. I didn't feel the trampoline effect when I used one. So I guess I just didn't like the feedback, cuz guys on my teams used to hit the crap outta the ball with them.

hitsone

One of our first sampling of an aluminum bat was a 32oz B52. One of our experiments involved a water filled bat Tidal Wave. Pitch high and inside on those

Chris_R

I Thought I Reacted Well
I guarantee you wouldn't get that out of a newer comp if you play where they test, no matter how softly you hit. Even toto soft. Lol

Have you ever had it tested?

Never. I quit playing tournament ball 4 or so years ago, and the local leagues around here don't care what you swing for the most part. The only real reason I still have it is for AMMO Bowls where we usually hit good 44/375's. I actually saw a lightly used one listed for sale on a FB group for $325 the other day. That raised my eyebrow a little bit.

Come to think about it, I don't believe I've ever played a tournament or league that tested bats unless you hit a pitcher. Not even NSA Super Worlds back in the late 2K's