Old white balls

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Played a random tourny this weekend in a small town. They got a couple hundred old balls donated from another town that had evidently been sitting in a shed for at least a decade, probably longer. Blue Stars and Gold Stars. The Gold Stars were crap, but the Blue Stars jumped. I think they were .47 cor. The Gold Stars few about as well as a classic M on a hot day.

Anyone else been playing long enough to have used these balls? I remember seeing them around when I was a kid, but never played with them until now.

DSCF2261.JPG

stork

Rocky Mountain Oyster aka DirtDog
Yep. Played coed out there Friday and Saturday nights. Guys had to hit opposite handed.
A team from up here went down there. Asked if I could go but wasn't willing to travel that far to hit oppo. Ok, I wasn't willing to travel that far.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
A team from up here went down there. Asked if I could go but wasn't willing to travel that far to hit oppo. Ok, I wasn't willing to travel that far.

Fair enough. Even for me the place was a damn hour drive. Tourny was meh. You wouldn't have found it worthwhile.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
47/525 Dudley thunder red heat wt-12rf asa is what we used way back in the day around here..

They are rocks , when I started playing the demarini ultimate weapon, worth powercell etc is were the bats to have killed with those balls ..

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
47/525 Dudley thunder red heat wt-12rf asa is what we used way back in the day around here..

They are rocks , when I started playing the demarini ultimate weapon, worth powercell etc is were the bats to have killed with those balls ..

Yeah, when I started playing ('99), Thunder red heats were around. Blue Dots were also still the norm too. Most softball here was singlewall bats only at the time, so we broke a lot of bats.

Those balls are probably as good as stadiums, if not better. The Stars are worse. They break down quickly and are poorly made.

stork

Old white balls are really not that exciting. Quite the opposite.

stork

And I never really paid that much attention to the balls we used back in the 90's. They all seemed to perform the pretty similar and I wasn't aware of the cor's and such. Hell, I still am not quite grasping it all but I know what the numbers mean. Don't bother another explanation, I just don't really care too much.

defos

Sky Hawks in the late '80s were the first decent balls I remember, then the Blue Dots. Before Sky Hawks a ball might only be round for 1 hit, others might last a whole game. You just never knew. Even the first Sky Hawks were inconsistent. I'm not sure cor and compression were even a thing back then before those.

ScootDog

Rather be surfing
I played in that tourney Saturday. ****ing fog in the morning and those white balls made for some fun for the outfield. They were rocks and I'm surprised my freak 12 lasted the day.

stork

I played in that tourney Saturday. ****ing fog in the morning and those white balls made for some fun for the outfield. They were rocks and I'm surprised my freak 12 lasted the day.
Had I known you were going to be there, I still wouldn't have come. Ha. Do you hit that hard oppo? Or do you go both ways? Now I wish I would have gone. :D
Got our first snow btw. Broken trees everywhere. But it is getting closer...

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Had I known you were going to be there, I still wouldn't have come. Ha. Do you hit that hard oppo? Or do you go both ways? Now I wish I would have gone. :D

He probably played mens. Mens they were allowed to hit normal. I played coed and guys had to hit opposite handed. I actually enjoyed it. Something different at least.

The fields weren't overly large and I saw all sorts of long bombs throughout the day.

Bobby Buggs

SBF Site Sponsor
Kind of ironic but Dudley was making the white heats only 10 minutes north of me. Back then I used to buy them at the outlet store for $1 each .50 c0r 525s

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Yeah, when I started playing ('99), Thunder red heats were around. Blue Dots were also still the norm too. Most softball here was singlewall bats only at the time, so we broke a lot of bats.

Those balls are probably as good as stadiums, if not better. The Stars are worse. They break down quickly and are poorly made.
I started playing in early 80's I recall using blue dots for first couple years then the thunder heats were implemented and that was all we used around here until the 43/375 was introduced, i do not recall even hearing of the stars...

Singlewall bats were the only bats at the time until of course the ddw was introduced..

ScootDog

Rather be surfing
Played men's, and I'm ready for A Basin to open! I'm a righty but I bat leftybut can still hit righty pretty well.

dttruax

Addicted to Softballfans
When I started playing in the early to mid 90's (man, that makes me feel old...and all we played was modified pitch), we never paid attention to cor/compression. Heck, I don't even know if they were listed on the balls. We would just go to the local Richard's and buy the Dudley's that came one per box. Might have been the red heat or blue heat. Of course we were all swinging the Tennessee Thumpers, etc with the rubber grips. I think some guys were still swinging wood bats.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
When I started playing in the early to mid 90's (man, that makes me feel old...and all we played was modified pitch), we never paid attention to cor/compression. Heck, I don't even know if they were listed on the balls. We would just go to the local Richard's and buy the Dudley's that came one per box. Might have been the red heat or blue heat. Of course we were all swinging the Tennessee Thumpers, etc with the rubber grips. I think some guys were still swinging wood bats.

Yeah, I don't think compression was listed on balls until 2000ish. The great majority of the white balls I still have are .47 or .50 cor and of indeterminate compression.

stork

Isnt there more snow than a ribbon? I'm feinding to ride.
Not yet, but hopefully a little more weather coming through the weekend and hopefully temps stay down. ABay and LL will get a WROD down but up to mama nature to provide the rest. Always a mystery. Had one year they opened the whole front side on opening day up here, but generally not.