Opinions on this play from COED this week?

CornWood

COED rec league. Not going to say one way or another how it was ruled, or how it was handled. Just any initial thoughts or opinions?

Redsfan

My opinion is the little guy needs to eat more and lift some weights. If that was a girl that got knocked down, that catcher is a d@$k.

Aziatik

Dude shoulda ran back to 3rd. He was out by a mile. The play looked clean to me, the only thing working against the runner was physics.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
DO over - lightning in background suspends play. Aside from that, nothing to see here. Not sure what "coed" had to do with it unless the 2 are of opposite anatomies.....and even then not much to comment on......runner is out!

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
everything is on the runner here. guy had the ball waiting to tag and out by a ton. didn't look like malicious intent on the tag to me. got an out and go sit down.

I agree. Catcher didn't do anything wrong. In that situation as a runner you just give yourself up and move on. No need to create contact and then act like a little girl afterward.

I don't generally agree with blocking the base line, but in this case the catcher had the ball with ample time to do so. The runner was dead to rights.

CornWood

I agree. Catcher didn't do anything wrong. In that situation as a runner you just give yourself up and move on. No need to create contact and then act like a little girl afterward.

I don't generally agree with blocking the base line, but in this case the catcher had the ball with ample time to do so. The runner was dead to rights.
You can hear the crowds reaction on how forceful the tag actually was. It's hard to see in the video I guess.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
You can hear the crowds reaction on how forceful the tag actually was. It's hard to see in the video I guess.

It wasn't a forceful tag at all. The catcher just held his glove up and the runner ran his face right into it.

billvp

Addicted to Softballfans
Runner is not as fast as he thinks he is. Pitcher is sort of a **** for not letting the girl catcher play, but nothing overly bad about the tag.

D-ROCK13

If the runner is scared of contact, then he/she shouldn't run on a close play. Catcher did his job, doesn't matter what sex the runner is, also the runner probably should've at least tried to slide

tonys1

Runner was dead on the play - nothing to do but slow down, get tagged and pat the catcher on the back. Probably not the catcher's intent, but if his hands did come forward at the end it was a defense mechanism as he saw the runner just kept running at him.

hitsone

I agree with the majority here. Runner should have realized he was out as soon as the player with the ball stood solid in his path. Not necessary to get into a hard contact situation

If you don't want to get forcefully tagged don't play the game. I was taught to tag with authority so no one can questions whether you tagged them or not. I'm not letting you just run into my glove, I'm tagging you. The runner should've never even considered going and then should've just given himself up.

oppotaco13

Looks like he extended his arms a bit when he tagged him........But, but the dumbass should have never been running anyway. You find this kind of **** over and over in the lowest levels of ball.

Yeah, but that could've been because he saw the runner not giving himself up. I'd expect the runner to either slow up or go back if I had time to check twitter before he got to me.

r8dr_rider

I had a similar play in men’s league.

I was playing catcher. SS threw ball in I missed it and runner advanced to home. I got the ball ran back and tagged (punched) him in the chest. Out! Other team complained that 3B ran down the line and caused interference. BS. Game over we win.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
i tag pretty forcefully. we had a guy in a run down a few weeks ago (small speedy guy) and I finally had him and my tag basically pushed him to the ground (he was also trying to avoid it so i had to quickly basically shove him) and he got all pissed about it. get over it nozzle.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
they run into like 4 or 5 outs a game. most of the time its not even close. down by 6, nobody out, better try and leg out this triple.

Country469

I tried to explain to some kid that you need to learn to assume the next guy is gonna get a hit in softball unlike baseball strategy but he got lost

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
i was early 20's hadn't played with a good team before. basically had to assume if you didn't make it home you were abandoned on base. got picked up on a legit team for a tourney, as a 3rd base coach sent a guy running from 1st home and he just stopped at 3rd. looked at me and was like "0 outs i'll be fine" and it clicked.

Redsfan

There are so many players now that didn't play baseball as kids. A lot of them are clueless on the fundamentals. I see them cost their teams several runs per game offensively and defensively by just not knowing what to do.