Overlap vs traditional grip

r8dr_rider

Happy New Year SBF

wanted some updated feedback on this topic. I recently changed to a full overlap grip. Feel has more whip but less control. During BP I’m getting the ball out a lot farther but noticed more pop ups as well. I’m working on separation to eliminate the hits off the handle.

what say you?

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
With the overlap you will need to do one of two things, get a lighter bat for more control or keep practicing until you have it down with your current bats. A lighter bat is the easiest fix but of course the lighter you go there are more diminished returns. Personally I use an endloaded 27 with a pinky drop and a full overlap.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I used the full overlap grip for over a decade, and just recently went back to regular grip or 2 finger overlap. I still drop the pinky on the bottom hand.

The overlap grip does produce more pop, but the consistency is never very good, especially when you're tired. I found that I had serious timing issues with the overlap grip, and I was often way out in front of the ball. I also tended to catch the ball too far out in front, which led to tons and tons of sidespin liners and grounders. It would literally be 1 or 2 400' bombs and 8 grounders or popups out of 10 swings. The bat comes though the zone in such a sloppy manner, and you can't really control spin very well.

I'm not saying don't use the overlap, but personally I would only use it in HR situations. Keep the regular grip for when you want to go for base hits or anything involving placement.

If you use the overlap grip full time, your batting average will probably go down 200 points. The loss of bat control becomes noticeable and irritating. You just pop up or roll over way too many balls. IMO the tradeoff just isn't worth it. The conventional grip works fine, and I don't lose that much power by using it. The conventional grip produces far more consistent results, with better timing and finding the sweetspot on the bat way more often.

The overlap grip is fun to mess with, and will probably produce the furthest batted balls of your life. At times the power feels effortless. However, IMO it's more trouble than it's worth.

rmp0012002

Addicted to Softballfans
I tried it for one season in the 2000’s and it works for power but lost bat control. I limited me in placing the ball where I wanted it. A standard grip and dropping the pinky below the knob has always worked well for me.

ShortYellowBus

I watched the Helmer video in which he demonstrated his grip. He goes full overlap, and I decided to do that. The grip is hard to master, due to the decrease in friction, so I decided to use grip N rip’s to increase my confidence. Swinging hard means I might lose the bat, so the grip N rip helps me not do that.

An important addition to my skill set was using the feet to set up the placement of the ball put into play. I move my back foot first and my front foot coil/stride is generally the same. It’s not subtle but I can get to all the spots in the outfield with general ease.

I know moving around in the box is unconventional, but we’re not hitting 99mph heaters. It’s underhand toss.

Generally I go for power to right field and middle. I use my feet to ensure that I get the consistency I’m looking for.

I swing 30oz bats. I didn’t have to go lighter.

I hope that helps.

clementeunknown

Addicted to Softballfans
Honestly the tee is how I was able to consistently place the ball to any field. Watch the Ryan Harvey video where he explains how to properly use the tee it makes a lot of sense. You're swing never changes, it's all about pitch selection.

dunkky

i am doing pinky drop and two finger overlap instead of full overlap. i want little bit of grip from my top hand. I don't think it makes any sense if you can jack the ball up 330 to 350 with conventional. it's with 290-300 power who may needs a little more distance. JMO.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
i am doing pinky drop and two finger overlap instead of full overlap. i want little bit of grip from my top hand. I don't think it makes any sense if you can jack the ball up 330 to 350 with conventional. it's with 290-300 power who may needs a little more distance. JMO.

Agree. If you already have easy HR power with a conventional grip, the overlap grip isn't going to add much for you. The guys who are stuck at 290' will probably start sneaking some balls out with an overlap grip.

2 finger overlap is a nice middle ground. You maintain some bat control, while gaining the extra snap and distance.

Harry

Addicted to Softballfans
Happy New Year SBF

wanted some updated feedback on this topic. I recently changed to a full overlap grip. Feel has more whip but less control. During BP I’m getting the ball out a lot farther but noticed more pop ups as well. I’m working on separation to eliminate the hits off the handle.

what say you?
When I converted to the overlap, I literally took 2000 swings off a tee before going live in a game. Practice will overcome your control issues.
I was a singles and doubles hitter and using precision to place the ball was big part of my game. With practice, perfect practice, one can hit with precision with the overlap, just like with a traditional grip.;)

UncleMosk

2 finger drop bottom hand, pinky on top hand overlaps first knuckle of bottom hand. Started this about 3 years ago after trying to go with a full over lap. Found issues with control since my swing is one that some say is a long swing. Not short and compact.

D-ROCK13

Small hands make the overlap grip all but useless for me, drop pinky and traditional grip produces much more consistent results. Full overlap will give me a little more power but a lot less confidence and control

jhitman

I use the overlap grip now for the last 17 years and have never looked back. The distance is far better for me and the small loss of some bat control doesn't bother me too much. When trying for base hits I don't change my swing like I see a lot of others do. I just adjust my stance in the box and just try to swing hard and adjust to what part of the ball I want to hit.....usually middle or slightly on top when trying to hit line drives or hard ground balls.

jhitman

Small hands make the overlap grip all but useless for me, drop pinky and traditional grip produces much more consistent results. Full overlap will give me a little more power but a lot less confidence and control

I don't have big hands either. I use an overlap grip and I interlock my left forefinger in between my middle and right forefinger. I saw this grip from Todd Graham back in the day on his swing mechanics web-site. I switch sometimes from the interlocking grip to straight overlap but I have a little less control because of my smaller hands.

jhitman

I used 2 finger overlap in FL this past weekend. I felt good with it and hit decent.
Are you switching back to the overlap grip or are you sticking to the standard grip? Honestly, when fooling around in BP last Fall, I tried the regular grip and just dropped my pinky finger off the bat and the bat felt so short. I don't think at this point I can ever go back to any type of standard grip.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
Are you switching back to the overlap grip or are you sticking to the standard grip? Honestly, when fooling around in BP last Fall, I tried the regular grip and just dropped my pinky finger off the bat and the bat felt so short. I don't think at this point I can ever go back to any type of standard grip.

I'm flip flopping. Sometimes I'll use standard, and other times 2 finger overlap. I haven't been using full overlap at all lately.

You're right that the bat feels shorter when you use the standard grip. There were times last year when I also felt like I was losing pop with it as well. I'd smoke balls that I thought were HRs, only to have them die on the warning track.

I think I'm going to use the 2 finger overlap this year, but perhaps standard grip when trying for placement or base hits.

Full overlap just feels too sloppy. I feel like I drag the bat lazily through the zone using it.

jhitman

I'm flip flopping. Sometimes I'll use standard, and other times 2 finger overlap. I haven't been using full overlap at all lately.

You're right that the bat feels shorter when you use the standard grip. There were times last year when I also felt like I was losing pop with it as well. I'd smoke balls that I thought were HRs, only to have them die on the warning track.

I think I'm going to use the 2 finger overlap this year, but perhaps standard grip when trying for placement or base hits.

Full overlap just feels too sloppy. I feel like I drag the bat lazily through the zone using it.

I hear you on the dragging of the bat. I used to do that too and felt like I was losing power. I do something now that I saw in a video or two and am crushing the ball now. In crazy that a few small changes can make such a huge difference.