Parent interaction/suggestion

22justin82

Addicted to Softballfans
What's everyone's thought on parents interjections?

Let's say 2 kids in the field that need to be switched up to perform better. Is it ok to make the suggestion or do you just sit back and let it play out?

tonys1

IMO, unless you're the one sacrificing your time to coach, travel, don't be that parent everyone hates. Coach might have a plan, give someone more playing time against a weaker team because the other kid sat out, etc.

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
Unfortunately these situations happen all the time at what ever level leagues or travel ball.. if your kid has been involved in the sport for some time it shouldn't be a surprise.
My grandson is moving up to majors little leagues nxt year.. this year he played 1b 99.9% of the time after playing ss,2b for the last few years he mentioned too me that he would like to play either of those positions from time to time at least BUT the coach and his two assistants have kids that just so happen to play those postions sooo guess who gets to play them :rolleyes: and yes they were no better than him at those postions i just told him keep making the plays that are yours to make

Last edited:

bestbatstats

What's everyone's thought on parents interjections?

Let's say 2 kids in the field that need to be switched up to perform better. Is it ok to make the suggestion or do you just sit back and let it play out?
It just depends on your relationship with the coach. If you have one you might be able to suggest it, but usually a parent should not be giving their ideas to the coach. Between the practices and games the coach has seen each player 10x more than parents and they know who can do what the best. 95% of parents suggestions have been way off in my experience coaching. For example, a parent gets excited that a new player is really athletic so they think that player should play shortstop. The parent doesn't realize that the really athletic girl is afraid of the ball and pulls her glove off the ground over and over in practice.