Passive aggressive okay?

xjarcher

On the mound
I'm LD for a bush league. We have a team that will bait the opposition by calling players names etc. and then tell them that they are bad sports when they finally respond. In a game as an umpire how do you manage such behavior?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Pull the coach/captain aside between innings and tell him that his team will knock off the snipping, or the offender will get sent to the parking lot, along with the coach for failing to stop it.

But as LD, you have every right to tell the coach/captain that the other teams are fed up. I’d even be willing to bet that some are talking about leaving. Why is this solely on the umpires to handle?

MaverickAH

Pull the coach/captain aside between innings and tell him that his team will knock off the snipping, or the offender will get sent to the parking lot, along with the coach for failing to stop it.

But as LD, you have every right to tell the coach/captain that the other teams are fed up. I’d even be willing to bet that some are talking about leaving. Why is this solely on the umpires to handle?

I agree with everything you've said!

There have been instances in the past where I basically told a manager/coach:

"I'm here to manage the game. You're here to manager your players. If you can't do that, I don't need you here so when your player goes, you go."

Over the years I've developed a very low threshold for crosstalk among teams. It's probably the one area that I can be hyper sensitive about & prefer to be proactive as opposed to reactive.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm LD for a bush league. We have a team that will bait the opposition by calling players names etc. and then tell them that they are bad sports when they finally respond. In a game as an umpire how do you manage such behavior?
If it's one game or one team probably nothing. If it's a habit I'll warn them before the game and then start tossing people for unsportsmanlike conduct. In the sanctioned leagues I used to work it's a two game automatic suspension for being ejected. If you're not respecting the other team or going out of your way to make sure that others are having a horrible time, you don't need to be here.

xjarcher

On the mound
We don't have paid umpires. The batting team supplies field and plate umps. I wanted to hear what "the umpires would do" in this situation. We have a new team that is pretty obnoxious and a team that has done this for two generations!
As LD I'm going to have all coaches rank their opponents on a 1-5 scale (1 bad -5 good) and the teams with the lowest scores will be the low seeds in our tournament. I may even have the lower scores play each other in the first round.