Pitching Gear and Safety

Hunt2live92

Starting Player
Lots of good stuff here. I may start pitching on my one pitch team within the next few weeks but only because there is a chain link gate to hide behind. I don't have the intestinal fortitude to do it on an open field even if I was covered in a hockey mask, shin guards, cup, wrist guards, etc. More power to yall for doing it.

alteredzx

Bazinga
I am picking up a pair of these. They are motoX knee/shin guards. I like how they a little higher on the thigh. I rode with these when I would street race and ride the dirt. They dont go as low on the shin as I like but I believe they will work. They offer great knee protection. They are Answer Alpha Racing knee guards. This is the information from thier site

Engineered to feature a full floating; self-centering knee that stays centered over cap even on long motos! The perforated PE foam with Airprene padded straps provide a plush layet of comfort between the plastic shield and your knee

Polypropylene thigh shin and nylon knee cup leave no exposed knee area to optimize impact performance

3 set and forget adjustable straps with quick-lock fasteners adjust for wide range sizes

Totally washable with removable comfort padding is perforated for breathability

Straps are padded at the back of the leg for comfort and position retention

2012AlphaKneeGuards400x416.png

Superstar555

Addicted to Softballfans
This thread has TONS of good info! While I don't pitch I would definitely lean towards a Lacrosse helmet. I saw one in action when my bro was wearing his and got hit by a ball that one hopped our left fielder after it hit him. He was unconcious for a few seconds but it definitely saved his life! All these other helmets just don't seem to have the same protection as a Lacrosse helmet. People forget that its kinda first reaction to turn your face away from something flying at it. lol. May want some side protection!!

He also wears shin gaurds (I think soccer gaurds) after having compartment syndrome.

I wear a FaceOff in the infield and somethimes wish it had higher protection and covered my temples more but the visibility is awesome!!

I have the Cascade Pro and I love it. Lacrosse helmet all the way.

lacrossemonkey_2211_5241794

1st Baseman

Addicted to Softballfans
Shinguards

I am picking up a pair of these. They are motoX knee/shin guards. I like how they a little higher on the thigh. I rode with these when I would street race and ride the dirt. They dont go as low on the shin as I like but I believe they will work. They offer great knee protection. They are Answer Alpha Racing knee guards. This is the information from thier site

Engineered to feature a full floating; self-centering knee that stays centered over cap even on long motos! The perforated PE foam with Airprene padded straps provide a plush layet of comfort between the plastic shield and your knee

Polypropylene thigh shin and nylon knee cup leave no exposed knee area to optimize impact performance

3 set and forget adjustable straps with quick-lock fasteners adjust for wide range sizes

Totally washable with removable comfort padding is perforated for breathability

Straps are padded at the back of the leg for comfort and position retention

2012AlphaKneeGuards400x416.png

Always wondered why players will protect their shins and disregard the knees. Got it, the knees are closer and easier to defend, however, the knees have numerous moving parts that can be easily damaged by a hard hit softball...

petebanta

Addicted to Softballfans
I wear this every time out now (& cup)...

42_1.jpg

It's smaller on your chest than this looks...

WAY more comfotable than EVO (and costs less, too). Order your's here for $30...

http://www.zoombang.com/zoombang_shop_product.php?i=42

The elastomeric polymer in the shirt is pretty tech. Reduces force by 80% (which takes sternum strikes out of the danger zone). Check out Zoombang videos like this on YouTube - The stuff works! NFL players wear shirt/shorts with this stuff on it under their pads now. Reduced force = Reduced injuries.

It does get a bit hot under other shirts in summer, so I cut the sleeves off & made some vent holes in the back, too.

ALSO, MAKE SURE you don't put it in the dryer! It will reduce the effectiveness of the polymer. Needs to be hung to air dry. I own several of these, and think they are worth the $. Not noticeable under shirt or to your play at all. Stretch shirt fits like a glove. Unoticeable.

Get one.

Last edited by a moderator:

firemanbutch

~Brag Post~ ;)
I just ordered the D-Gel broomball shin/knee guards. Hoping they are as comfortable as they look. Looking at chest protectors also. Last weekend in a tournament, not only did I get hit but I saw 2 other pitchers get blown up. One got hit directly in the knee. It sounded like a gunshot when the ball hit his knee. I had a ball hit at my chest to the side of my throwing hand and I could only get my throwing hand up to block it. That didn't feel good. Luckily it got the meaty part of my hand so nothing was broken. It was by far the hardest hit ball I've ever had hit at me. I had zero time to react to it. I was lucky my hand just happened to be up and only had to move it a couple inches or the ball would've hit me square in the chest.

TheBigKahuna

The Veteran
I've been wanting to pick up a lacrosse helmet myself, but have yet to find one that fits.

I will also recommend BMX style shinpads. The ones I have cover from knee to ankle, are thin enough to be easily worn under pants, and comfortable enough to run in without hinderence, unlike catcher shin guards.

Mine are old, used for downhill mountain biking, made by SixSixOne.

08RACEKNEESHIN.jpg

Last edited:

petebanta

Addicted to Softballfans
I was lucky my hand just happened to be up and only had to move it a couple inches or the ball would've hit me square in the chest.

Get a Heart Guard/chest protector. Here's why...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commotio_cordis

Far more players of baseball, hockey & lacrosee die from this than head injuries (though head inuries can still be very serious/damaging, even if not fatal).

It only takes a well-placed/timed strike of ONLY 30MPH (determined from studies on Pigs, which are the best analog for humans, believe it or not). It is about WHEN it hits your heart (during the beat cycle) than about how hard. More risk for kids vs adults (heart is closer to sternum), but it kills adults, too.

I often wonder why people care more about masks/helmets than this (or shin guards), when it is cheaper & easier to address this hazard... :confused:

stickin2j

Good clean family fun
Update: Played a league game Sunday and wore my Worth helmet, cup and shin-guards. High for the day was 108, and since we played at 3:00, I am positive it was at least 105. The helmet did not get too hot, since I took it off between innings, it does have a little bit of ventilation and there was a light breeze. However, the inside of my shin guards were soaking wet by the end of the game. I can't imagine wearing anything much larger/heavier/more insulated than the Mercurial Lites out here.

crushthatball

それに愚痴を吸う
I play in a church league locally and one of the pitchers in our league lost an eye last night. They took him to the local hospital and then flew him to Boston to try and save his eye. Our league is run by a board of directors (collection of coaches, senior members) and I've been pushing for the mandatory use of pitching face protection for the last several months after reading about the pitcher in AL that lost his eye. After reading the article I kept pushing but of course I got the same resistance..I've got a glove, I can move back, etc. The pitcher who lost an eye has been pitching for 10+ years. I was so afraid something like this would happen before I could convice coaches, board for some time of protection.

tapatio711

Photographer
I play in a church league locally and one of the pitchers in our league lost an eye last night. They took him to the local hospital and then flew him to Boston to try and save his eye. Our league is run by a board of directors (collection of coaches, senior members) and I've been pushing for the mandatory use of pitching face protection for the last several months after reading about the pitcher in AL that lost his eye. After reading the article I kept pushing but of course I got the same resistance..I've got a glove, I can move back, etc. The pitcher who lost an eye has been pitching for 10+ years. I was so afraid something like this would happen before I could convice coaches, board for some time of protection.

this sucks ^^^^, to bad it takes a tragedy to get leagues or pitchers to protect themselves.

Ive been using a mask/helmet since I started pitching ( 2009 )
I only started pitching, cause our pitcher sucked so bad. I knew I had to protect myself, lifetime outfielder. Im getting a chest protector (evoshield shirt ) for fathers day.

kaerey

Addicted to Softballfans
The one night I don't have the helmet with me.....

helmet in the car, I'm sitting lacing up the cleats before warming up. Wife busts out her new Nokona Bloodline and is throwing a ball into her glove to start to break it in... she misses, ball smacks me in the head. I said a bad word. End of Story.

TL,DR version: Keeping it on the first page.

Bases_Juiced

Angry Softball Guy
Great thread. I wear a hockey helmet with steel cage. I cut out a few of the bars at my eye level and it improved my vision then fold. Tried on a few catchers mask and just didn't like the vision they provided.

hrcentury21

REALTOR
Good thread' I wear Adidas field hockey shin guards 20 dollars eBay. 20 seconds both on , n face off mask tourneys... I'll post picks later...

kaerey

Addicted to Softballfans
Good morning, here's your "Look there's a Worth SBPH on the Bay" bump.

300732652431 (Warning: Ships from Hong Kong with shipping at about $33 USD)

kaerey

Addicted to Softballfans
Good morning, here's your "Look there's a Worth SBPH on the Bay" bump.

300732652431 (Warning: Ships from Hong Kong with shipping at about $33 USD)

Here's your "HOLY **** That SBPH sold for $140" bump of the day.

Tongs

Extra Hitter
I bought a Combat Faceoff recently, and used it for my first game the other night. Took a ribbing from my team mates, until the 3rd baseman caught a bounce off the ground then chest into his face. Not another word was said after that.

Blaxima-2

Addicted to Softballfans
Broke my nose 2 weeks ago tomorrow after a bad hop at short. My Rip It came in Sat, I'll wear it at third from now on I think