Pitching Gear

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
So it wouldn't make a difference if you get hit in the front of the mask, where it's the strongest, or on the side? Ok, gotcha.
I doubt you've got it since you still seem to think the cage was bent into his face, and not just pushed into his face as the helmet moved around on his head.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
These are obviously not purely scientific, or apples to apple comparisons, but here's what 25 seconds on youtube found.

That's one of the best helmets on the market getting dented by a shot. Notice the player keeps playing like he's fine.

This one really highlights, IMO, how much less force a lacrosse ball delivers. It also shows how easily these helmets can be knocked off even with a chin strap on. Dude takes a full lacrosse shot right to the unprotected face and he's just chilling in the penalty box after. If that's a softball he's in the ER, at least the Classic Ms we use around here.

Just for kicks and giggles...

You can see how the force of the impact is dissipated through his face and chin because of the chin strap. This is even on a high shot, not one to the jaw area. Without the chin strap on, I think the helmet pops off the pitcher's head hitting his face on the way. For anyone that still doesn't understand my point about lax helmets, this is it. Without that chin strap to stop the backward motion that helmet is straight smashing his face and flying off as it continues on backward.

dunkky

this is the exact reason why i quit pitching, cuz i am chicken **** and my reaction time isn't what it used be. plus too much gear for damn softball game. not for me. i am happy playing 2nd or 1st. sometimes OF. yeah.. rec level don't require a lot skills so, i fit right in there. lol

bigwignj

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't use the chin strap. It's not needed if the the helmet fits correctly. Pitching is not the same as running around playing lacrosse. My helmet doesn't move one bit while I'm pitching. In fact, I've never seen a pitcher have a chin strap on their helmet

I always wear my chin strap but then again I’m probably way more active then you are when it comes to fielding middle. Theres no way i could play without mine strapped up.

blakcherry329

I always wear my chin strap but then again I’m probably way more active then you are when it comes to fielding middle. Theres no way i could play without mine strapped up.
That's cool and you probably do move around more than I do. Like I said before, it's a personal choice and I'm not trying to convince anyone to not wear the chinstrap. My helmet fits snugly and doesn't move when I cover bases, back up bases, etc.

blakcherry329

These are obviously not purely scientific, or apples to apple comparisons, but here's what 25 seconds on youtube found.

That's one of the best helmets on the market getting dented by a shot. Notice the player keeps playing like he's fine.

This one really highlights, IMO, how much less force a lacrosse ball delivers. It also shows how easily these helmets can be knocked off even with a chin strap on. Dude takes a full lacrosse shot right to the unprotected face and he's just chilling in the penalty box after. If that's a softball he's in the ER, at least the Classic Ms we use around here.

Just for kicks and giggles...

You can see how the force of the impact is dissipated through his face and chin because of the chin strap. This is even on a high shot, not one to the jaw area. Without the chin strap on, I think the helmet pops off the pitcher's head hitting his face on the way. For anyone that still doesn't understand my point about lax helmets, this is it. Without that chin strap to stop the backward motion that helmet is straight smashing his face and flying off as it continues on backward.
Your assessment is way off. No way that kids helmet is popping off of his head from a ball to the face mask. There's a lot of room between his face and the bars of the mask. Plus as the mask gets pushed back, the bottom of the mask, the plastic that protects the jaw, would get pushed into his upper chest/clavicle area.
We'll just agree to disagree on Chin strap-gate

Hiltz

Built for comfort

He's chilling in the penalty box after because he's a professional lacrosse player and he's tougher than a $2 steak. Hockey players take pucks to the mouth, lose teeth, get stitched on the bench, then come out for their next shift. That doesn't mean that hockey pucks hurt less than softballs.

Without the chin strap on, I think the helmet pops off the pitcher's head hitting his face on the way. For anyone that still doesn't understand my point about lax helmets, this is it. Without that chin strap to stop the backward motion that helmet is straight smashing his face and flying off as it continues on backward.

My helmet fits snugly and doesn't move when I cover bases, back up bases, etc.

The chinstrap is an integral component of a lacrosse helmet. The strap and chin cup act as a suspension system for the helmet, they're not just there to hold the shell in place like on a hockey helmet. Your helmet may stay in place when you're moving around, but the first time a ball hits it, you're eating the cage.

blakcherry329

He's chilling in the penalty box after because he's a professional lacrosse player and he's tougher than a $2 steak. Hockey players take pucks to the mouth, lose teeth, get stitched on the bench, then come out for their next shift. That doesn't mean that hockey pucks hurt less than softballs.

The chinstrap is an integral component of a lacrosse helmet. The strap and chin cup act as a suspension system for the helmet, they're not just there to hold the shell in place like on a hockey helmet. Your helmet may stay in place when you're moving around, but the first time a ball hits it, you're eating the cage.
And I disagree. The physics of it lends me to believe that the mask will be pushed down. Look at the video. How would the mask ever make contact with his face from contact with the cage/mask?

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member

His toughness isn't a factor imo. The more elastic nature of the lax ball causes it to deform and spread the impact out across a greater area. A classic m it even a 44 is driving into your face and breaking many bones and causing extensive trauma along the way. I've seen a lot of players get hit over the years, and I've never seen a player take anything near that and not have to go to the er. They're cut, swollen, and some of the times they lose consciousness.

That lax **** looks like a punch, and a classic m is a brass knuckles punch.

Last edited:

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
And I disagree. The physics of it lends me to believe that the mask will be pushed down. Look at the video. How would the mask ever make contact with his face from contact with the cage/mask?
You have a lax helmet. Just push the cage with your hand and see what happens. The kid had the helmet tilted and his head down, and the force of the chin strap still sent ripples through his skin down his neck. Without that strap that force is going into his forehead and that helmet is popping off when there is nothing to counter act that force. That cage is catching face as it flies off and it's not going to go down into his chest.

Have you never been wearing a cap and hit the bill on something? It flies off . Your forehead isn't vertical, and even if it was there isn't enough friction on it to keep that from popping off.

blakcherry329

You have a lax helmet. Just push the cage with your hand and see what happens. The kid had the helmet tilted and his head down, and the force of the chin strap still sent ripples through his skin down his neck. Without that strap that force is going into his forehead and that helmet is popping off when there is nothing to counter act that force. That cage is catching face as it flies off and it's not going to go down into his chest.

Have you never been wearing a cap and hit the bill on something? It flies off . Your forehead isn't vertical, and even if it was there isn't enough friction on it to keep that from popping off.
What are you talking about??? Head angle? seriously??? If his head was tilted, where is the bottom of the helmet going??? Into his chest. You just proved my point for me. I'm done. smh
Wear your chin strap, or not, IDC. I am not wearing one. Geez

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I haven't worn my chin strap yet, but I'm probably going to start. Hell the instruction manual educates you on why you should. Without the strap mine doesn't move much either, but then again, my huge head barely fits in the damn thing to begin with. I might even force myself to just go with the Worth mask.

Terrordome666

Addicted to Softballfans
So this week I am pitching and took a line shot off my forearm. Broke the Ulnar bone, in cast for 5-6 weeks.

Sucks, I want to be mad at the guy for hitting middle, but I know I cant be. I was a little lax on my readiness.

Keep your gloves up fellas, it only takes one middle shot to mess you up.

Last edited:

blakcherry329

Ground ball in my modified game on Sunday. Hit a rock or something on the crappy fields we play on. I put my hands up and it hit my thumb and bent it back. ripped the skin in the web between the index finger and thumb. Didn't really hurt too much. In fact, I pitched to the next batter until I noticed I was dripping blood. lol 5 stitches. I must commend Hackensack University Medical Center ER. I was in and out in about an hour and a half. Watched the Duke/UCF game. MmsCamera_2019-03-24-17-52-09.jpg Stitches.jpg

Redsfan

I believe they freeze hockey pucks too before the game so they slide on the ice better. At least that's what a friend of mine told me. Makes them even harder.

klu

on the mound
Check out on facebook "Klu's Kustom Helmets" if your looking for a pitching helmet

Attachments

• Chrome- Gold.jpg
    Chrome- Gold.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 12

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I believe they freeze hockey pucks too before the game so they slide on the ice better. At least that's what a friend of mine told me. Makes them even harder.

Your friend is right, rinks have a dedicated freezer they store pucks in. It makes them slide better and also bounce less. And hurt more.

tonys1

Why aren't the hockey style catcher helmets not so popular with pitchers? Too heavy? I've taken some hard foul tips off the grill a couple of times last year and didn't feel a thing.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i use a hockey style catcher's mask. fits big heads, light weight, good visibility, full coverage, not overly hot, and have seen the shots they can take

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why aren't the hockey style catcher helmets not so popular with pitchers? Too heavy? I've taken some hard foul tips off the grill a couple of times last year and didn't feel a thing.
The reasons I've heard are too heavy and too hot. Let's face it, this demographic doesn't want to wear any protection. They've been dragged to lax helmets kicking and screaming. Each step of the way it's taken serious injuries or people dying to get them to take baby steps. First to fast pitch masks made for girl's speeds and bad hops, and now to helmets designed for a completely different sport.

It's a real wonder the game even exists at all with as slow as the associations and players are too see the writing on the wall. Was it twenty years ago the Titaniums were introduced and people started being killed on the field? Does anyone really believe that the fatalities per capita have gone down in that time?

Country469

I caught in college, and I cant use the damn thing to pitch. Its a vision thing going up and down and moving so much. yes the catchers mask is safer no doubt. But its not made to be moved around in like the LX mask. Catchers are still taught to ditch the mask first chance they get. I modify the bars in my LAX mask as well for better vision. The ones at my feet or straight up will always be hard, but the chin strap helps in place of a catchers mask on those too. Good used LAX is way cheaper too.

Last edited:

Country469

It's a real wonder the game even exists at all with as slow as the associations and players are too see the writing on the wall. Was it twenty years ago the Titaniums were introduced and people started being killed on the field? Does anyone really believe that the fatalities per capita have gone down in that time?

its gonna be hitting derby where you pitch to your own team real soon.