Pitching Helmets

WiLD53

the warriors league i just joined requires a mask for pitchers... however, i probably won't need to worry about that until next season... the team that picked me up already has 2 pitchers so i'm stuck playing 3rd... maybe i should use this time to get used to wearing one... especially since my team in already in last place...

this league has a draft every season which sounds like a lot of fun... :cool:

blakcherry329

So 2 guys hit in the face yesterday by bad bounces on a hard field using Hot Dots.

Guy with a Rip It mask playing MI ended up with a cut across the bridge of the nose. Ended his day due to excessive blood, but initial reports are no other damage. Lucky he was wearing a mask!!! Saw too many guys not wearing one and a ton of guys hit with bad bounces, but luckily not in the face.

Other guy pitching wearing a lacrosse helmet. Ball stayed down until it got there then came up hitting the top of the helmet, deflecting into foul territory in front of 3B. No damage other than a scuff mark. A Rip It or similar type of mask would not have protected the area that was struck. Who knows what kind of injury it might have caused without a helmet.

One other pitcher hit in the helmet with a thrown ball from 3B. He went down, but after a couple of minutes was able to get up an continue. Helmet definitely saved him in that odd scenario. Not sure what type of helmet he was wearing though.

Moral of the story......wear some sort of protection. IMO, wear what feels most comfortable to YOU.

I started with a Game Face mask in 2009 - hated it but stuck with it until I got comfortable. Switched to a Rip It after a couple of years and liked it better and feels weird without it. Now have a lacrosse helmet with the bars removed. Don't love it, and am concerned about how it's gonna be when it gets hot/humid, but after yesterday will probably stick with it. Initial plan was to use when colder, and go back to Rip It when hotter.
I don't really find my Helmet to be too hot to handle, so to speak. You're only wearing half an inning. Anything on your head will make you hotter in 90 deg weather, but it's not unbearable by any means. But I like playing in the heat, so I might be the wrong person to comment on this. lol

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
So 2 guys hit in the face yesterday by bad bounces on a hard field using Hot Dots.

Guy with a Rip It mask playing MI ended up with a cut across the bridge of the nose. Ended his day due to excessive blood, but initial reports are no other damage. Lucky he was wearing a mask!!! Saw too many guys not wearing one and a ton of guys hit with bad bounces, but luckily not in the face.

Other guy pitching wearing a lacrosse helmet. Ball stayed down until it got there then came up hitting the top of the helmet, deflecting into foul territory in front of 3B. No damage other than a scuff mark. A Rip It or similar type of mask would not have protected the area that was struck. Who knows what kind of injury it might have caused without a helmet.

One other pitcher hit in the helmet with a thrown ball from 3B. He went down, but after a couple of minutes was able to get up an continue. Helmet definitely saved him in that odd scenario. Not sure what type of helmet he was wearing though.

Moral of the story......wear some sort of protection. IMO, wear what feels most comfortable to YOU.

I started with a Game Face mask in 2009 - hated it but stuck with it until I got comfortable. Switched to a Rip It after a couple of years and liked it better and feels weird without it. Now have a lacrosse helmet with the bars removed. Don't love it, and am concerned about how it's gonna be when it gets hot/humid, but after yesterday will probably stick with it. Initial plan was to use when colder, and go back to Rip It when hotter.
I wore a Nike helmet liner under mine in South Georgia to soak up the sweat. It really wasnt bad. IfI'd ta it off and hang it over the knob of a back up bat and then it's be pretty cool when I put it back on to go back out. I batted in a regular cap.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I do the same now, and its not even in the 60's yet. I sweat a lot when pitching, so we'll see how it goes. Buying a few more of the skull caps to have extras for the hot days. Always have the Rip It with me as a backup just in case.

etnstudios

Addicted to Softballfans
i hate the heat and pitched for a few years in south texas in an easton catchers mask. i was never really that uncomfortable. it was a hockey style mask and had more than enough ventilation. i was also one of the earlier adopters on the tournament circuit and the only one that wore anything in league. i heard more than my fair share of ribbing. it's all fun and games until someone gets hit. plus, i'm too pretty to go without

Normy

Has anyone on here experienced taking one to the head while wearing the Worth mask? That's the one I wear. Haven't heard any horror stories but haven't really heard any success stories either.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
Has anyone on here experienced taking one to the head while wearing the Worth mask? That's the one I wear. Haven't heard any horror stories but haven't really heard any success stories either.
Who's going to try it out?
giphy.gif

z00ted 85

Addicted to Softballfans

Nothing direct off a bat. I've been hit twice by batted balls that took a crazy hop. a scuff mark just above the right eyebrow and then the second one hit the mask part with no visible evidence of mask being hit.

Helmet stayed on my head just shifted a little like my catchers masks used to when i'd get nailed by a foul ball.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans

A few weeks ago in a very cold tourney here a P took a liner off his (I'm 90% sure it was the Worth). Word was it broke it, but the player didn't sustain much if any harm. IMO with the padding that thing has in the front, it's probably pretty safe so long as you don't turn your head and take one off the ear.

Country469

A few weeks ago in a very cold tourney here a P took a liner off his (I'm 90% sure it was the Worth). Word was it broke it, but the player didn't sustain much if any harm. IMO with the padding that thing has in the front, it's probably pretty safe so long as you don't turn your head and take one off the ear.

those were designed for fielders not pitchers imo, made to work once and maybe save you from catastrophy but they dont claim to be life savers

Country469

My mistake there, I assumed since it broke it was the mask. If the pitching helmet broke on a liner, thats bad bad bad PR there and tells me everything I need to hear there.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Well yes and no. Brutally cold temps and ball was absolutely smashed. Helmet did what it was intended to do - protect the player. The issue that it broke is possibly a warranty issue between player and company. I am not familiar with their warranty or guarantee. $85 for a broken helmet seems like a cheap price to pay compared to $80k in medical bills......or a much less expensive funeral.

Since most pitchers don't wear the chin strap with the lacrosse helmet, my guess is the Worth probably protected better in that scenario.

Country469

Well yes and no. Brutally cold temps and ball was absolutely smashed. Helmet did what it was intended to do - protect the player.

Since most pitchers don't wear the chin strap with the lacrosse helmet, my guess is the Worth probably protected better in that scenario.

This is why we need an actual standard for this and to have them tested and rated IMO. Will it increase cost, yes. Is another $30 worth it, still by far yes. Assuming you are implying the breakage and cold was due to more brittle plastic, I see that point but if that is the case it probably needs a warning label not to use below x temps or whatever. The real culprit here is obviously a ball that gets 100000 times harder in the cold, but USSSA will tell you in a legal jargon that ball is safe and their bat/ball combos have all been tested and give a pitcher ample time to react. EL OH ****ING EL

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
I personally don't wear mine. I've seen a couple people wear theirs, but more not wear it than who do wear it.​

Country469

I don't wear mine either. I played catcher LL to college. I still take the mask off on pop ups. Or say I give up a shot to RC gap. I take the mask off and go back up 3rd. I need to be able to become a regular fielder once the ball is past the rubber. The chin strap just doesn't make sense for me, even tho its safer.

kvander

Addicted to Softballfans
Maybe look into getting some chin padding for a catcher's mask that you can attach, so you still have some protection, but can remove easily.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
My head is way too large. I have the largest one I could find (Schutt Stallion) and it still scrapes my face up trying to put it on. Once on, it stays on until I return to the dugout. I primarily wear it for the bad hop scenario more than a direct line drive (I assume I'll catch or deflect those) so I feel like even without the strap it provides the protection I'm looking for.

blakcherry329

Chin strap is overkill, imo. If it fits, correctly, it shouldn't move, even when you're running around. I don't take mine off for popups or any other reason. lol. I don't really worry about getting hit in the throat, either. a ground ball won't hit me there, because I'll be looking down for the ball, so the mask will cover my neck. Liners won't really be at the right angle to hit under the cage, so not worried there, either.

Like ilyk2win said, I wear it for bad hops, for the most part. I think I can still get a glove on any line drive hit at me. However, bad hops can't be defended.

blakcherry329

I used to think like that. After seeing the best pitchers in the world get blown up, it changed me. 99.9% of the time you are right, and it'll be fine, but I owe it to my family to protect myself as best as possible and negate the risks when easily able to.
I understand your point. And each pitcher has to do what they need to do to feel safe.
However, I'm not taking any unnecessary risks out there.I wear a helmet and shin guards. There's zero chance of me getting hit in the throat while pitching. I never turn my head, on any shot up the middle, ever.