ASA pitching rule

longfoot

Overachiever
Wondering what the rule is regarding moving off the mound after the pitch?
Heres the situation. Our back up pitcher is in. He tends to dance around a bit after the pitch, moving left, right , and back. Well the ump tells him hes not allowed to move to the sides. Hes been pitching like this for 3 months now and this is the first time we've heard about it. Whats the ruling here?
Thanks.

DockEllis

Addicted to Softballfans
the ump must be one of them "tards" cuz he don't know what hes talkin about. We've only had 8 to start some games before and I pitched and played second base at the same time in a rec league.

longfoot

Overachiever
Yeah i thought the ump was wrong. Our pitcher does that stuff to try and throw off the hitter. I have no clue if it actually works, but he thinks it does.
Thanks for the info.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
If the umpire believes that the pitcher is deliberately acting in a manner that is distracting to the batter, he may warn the pitcher not to do this.

But that's a big if.

longfoot

Overachiever
Its not like hes jumping up or down or anything. He'll pitch then take a couple steps to the right. Then the next pitch he goes left. But no warnings or anything, just called them illegal pitches. Then told him he can't do that.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
Its not like hes jumping up or down or anything. He'll pitch then take a couple steps to the right. Then the next pitch he goes left. But no warnings or anything, just called them illegal pitches. Then told him he can't do that.

i would guess the pitcher is just trying to get either into fielding position based on where the ball is pitched, ie back and towards the 2nd baseman on an outside pitch to a RHB. OR he just to get the heck out of the way of the ball, ie moving towards 1B on an inside pitch. maybe the ump has never heard of 'chuck and duck'

on the other hand, id love to have this umpire bc he seems like the kind of guy that would put a stop to the catcher or other fielders yelling 'there it is' or 'nice pitch' every pitch mid pitch. why this isnt the classic example of verbal obstruction is beyond me.

LORDV8R

Addicted to Softballfans
i would guess the pitcher is just trying to get either into fielding position based on where the ball is pitched, ie back and towards the 2nd baseman on an outside pitch to a RHB. OR he just to get the heck out of the way of the ball, ie moving towards 1B on an inside pitch. maybe the ump has never heard of 'chuck and duck'

on the other hand, id love to have this umpire bc he seems like the kind of guy that would put a stop to the catcher or other fielders yelling 'there it is' or 'nice pitch' every pitch mid pitch. why this isnt the classic example of verbal obstruction is beyond me.

So I guess "Hey batter, batter, batter.....Swing" is a no go for you?

WhiteBrow24

The Dude Abides
So I guess "Hey batter, batter, batter.....Swing" is a no go for you?

we play this team in league and the parents come...its rather funny, and they get super into it saying the swing batter hey batter and they have a little compressed air horn everytime they score.....we beat them by 20 in 4 innings. and they didnt stop the hootin