Pitching to higher level players

blakcherry329

It's slowpitch, there are no advantages to be had by the pitcher. lol
Your team has to score with them to put some pressure on them. Try not to walk too many, unless it's strategic. Play good def, no extra at bats.

This is basically the same advice for any slowpitch game, imo.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
if your fastball is 11-12mph and you have an effecive change at 7-8 mph you can really throw them off. especially if you're throwing through the same window.

That's like a 27%-42% difference between fastball and change-up, pretty sure if anybody could pull that off they'd already be in the Show.

In another video I saw, Purcell said to learn a knuckle ball and throw it exclusively. He did say it was better for USSSA than ASA because it usually moves more on flatter pitches.

Then go full-Purcell and throw everything too flat and scream at any umpire that calls your pitches flat.

Country469

If I got the same arc and speed rules as andy does every weekend I'd be a lot more effective too

His knuckle ball is called for excessive speed in nearly every other non conference event going in in utrip across america every weekend, but in the conference you get that pitch

huzzdog

retired
If I got the same arc and speed rules as andy does every weekend I'd be a lot more effective too

His knuckle ball is called for excessive speed in nearly every other non conference event going in in utrip across america every weekend, but in the conference you get that pitch
i beg to differ.. he gets away with flatter and faster than most.. but i can tell you... you can throw a lot flatter in a local yokel than in conference. you have to put it on a tee there

Sloth91

That's like a 27%-42% difference between fastball and change-up, pretty sure if anybody could pull that off they'd already be in the Show.

Then go full-Purcell and throw everything too flat and scream at any umpire that calls your pitches flat.

i was like, 100% serious, obviously

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
I figure you have two options here. Go out and try your hardest and pitch the game of your life.... or forfeit. It depends what you feel like doing. If you want to go put your pitching skills to the test, go mix it up with a good team and see what happens. That said, the rest of your team better bring their A game on defense. Bring the helmet and shin guards. You may well need them.

Good luck.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
so, what level are you playing and what upper level are you talking about here?

Recently played a team that was slumming in the lower division. Is there anything I can do pitching wise to get even a slight advantage? We will be playing them again at some point, and I expect to get shelled again, but I want to get....slightly less shelled.

Judging from the first sentence of the first post, I'd guess he's playing in a league against a sandbagging team.

Normy

Every pitcher on here has gotten shelled more times than we care to admit. Yours truly at the top of the list. We have a few teams like that in our division. It sucks. Just chalk it up as a learning experience and make the most of it. Mix it up, be safe and try to talk someone else into pitching.

blakcherry329

If the wind is blowing out, you can get great movement on any speed pitch.
Every pitcher on here has gotten shelled more times than we care to admit. Yours truly at the top of the list. We have a few teams like that in our division. It sucks. Just chalk it up as a learning experience and make the most of it. Mix it up, be safe and try to talk someone else into pitching.
Lol. Yep. It's slow pitch. Your team needs to hit, and you need to throw strikes. That's it.

AH23

Addicted to Softballfans
Semantics, spoken like a true *******

Not semantics, fact. Find a rule set that awards 'points' for runners crossing/being awarded home plate. I've been doing it wrong my entire life I guess.

I wonder who led the majors in Points Batted In this year?

Which pitcher had the lowest Earned Point Average? Words have meanings.

I wonder if the Raiders will score any runs on Sunday????

hitless45

Addicted to Softballfans
I beg to differ. No better pitch than the knuckleball, in slow pitch. ;)
I find myself throwing knuckles exclusively when I can't find the zone with other pitches (very often) , it does mess with inexperienced player alot, ink try to get corners and different heights to the experienced

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mix heights, pitch to your defense, field your position.

Mix the depth of where it lands too.
I stole one of your pitches. I don't even think you really think about it, so I can teach it back to you if you'd like.