pitching U-Trip vs. ASA/USA?

Wyobus54

I have been pitching ASA/USA rules for 20+ years, I have a USSSA tournament later in the year. What are the biggest differences between the two? And what are the misconceptions that I may have to work on before I go to the tournament? Thanks in advance, Just wanting to prepare myself so I can be decent at USSSA pitching.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
Flatter and faster despite both associations having a ceiling of 10'
Strike zone will seem smaller/tighter
Pump faking/juking is only effective if you can throws strikes whilst doing so (can be harder than you think)
Changing speeds and delivery is more important
Knuckle ball is still your best friend
Can pitch between the legs or behind the back so long as still underhand
Wear a helmet and shin guards!!!
Classic M's are very heat sensitive (harder in cold (below 75) and mushier in the heat (above 85) and hurt when making direct contact with the body
Classic Plus are similar to ASA balls
You get a "box" to pitch from....the mound plus 6' behind it.
Umpires don't signal "illegal pitch" - and it's referred to as an unfairly delivered pitch only stated after completion of the pitch
Contrary to popular belief, it is not 3'-10' - it is 3' arc from your release point and not higher than 10' from the ground
Oh, and.....Wear a helmet and shin guards!!!

Wyobus54

Flatter and faster despite both associations having a ceiling of 10'
Strike zone will seem smaller/tighter
Pump faking/juking is only effective if you can throws strikes whilst doing so (can be harder than you think)
Changing speeds and delivery is more important
Knuckle ball is still your best friend
Can pitch between the legs or behind the back so long as still underhand
Classic M's are very heat sensitive (harder in cold (below 75) and mushier in the heat (above 85) and hurt when making direct contact with the body
Classic Plus are similar to ASA balls
You get a "box" to pitch from....the mound plus 6' behind it.
Umpires don't signal "illegal pitch" - and it's referred to as an unfairly delivered pitch only stated after completion of the pitch
Contrary to popular belief, it is not 3'-10' - it is 3' arc from your release point and not higher than 10' from the ground
Oh, and.....Wear a helmet and shin guards!!!

I wear a helmet already. I'll look into shin guards. But thank you for the information. Hopefully I do ok and make it through the tournament lol.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
The most noticeable difference is that you don't get the high strike nearly as often in USSSA as you do in USA. Otherwise you really don't have to change anything. Any legal pitch in USA is a legal pitch in USSSA. What level you're playing at will determine quite a bit too. If the teams you're pitching to are strictly USSSA and don't play any USA, you might be able to get them by tickling the ceiling. Oh, and no stealing.

Wyobus54

The most noticeable difference is that you don't get the high strike nearly as often in USSSA as you do in USA. Otherwise you really don't have to change anything. Any legal pitch in USA is a legal pitch in USSSA. What level you're playing at will determine quite a bit too. If the teams you're pitching to are strictly USSSA and don't play any USA, you might be able to get them by tickling the ceiling. Oh, and no stealing.

just played a ASA tournament but they allowed USSSA pitching. It was interesting to say the least. I did talk to a guy that said "if a pitcher fakes a pitch more than 3 times, you end up hitting middle" due to trying to keep your timing. I don't know how others take that, I don't shoot middle. But the height ceiling was very close to ASA

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
just played a ASA tournament but they allowed USSSA pitching. It was interesting to say the least. I did talk to a guy that said "if a pitcher fakes a pitch more than 3 times, you end up hitting middle" due to trying to keep your timing. I don't know how others take that, I don't shoot middle. But the height ceiling was very close to ASA

USA and USSSA have the exact same ceiling. 10' is 10'
The problem comes from idiot players and bad umpires interpretation of it....or perhaps I should say misinterpretation.