ASA Player position

Prrebel

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey guys,

I have a question with regards to a players position on the field. Not necessarily where he is playing, but what position he is considered to be playing. let me elaborate...
I play in a league where an outfielder is not allowed to throw a runner out at first base. It began as a gentleman's rule that older guys would get 1st base if they got a ball into the outfield. In ASA players positions are listed as pitcher, catcher, 1st base, 2nd base, shortstop, 3rd base, left field, left centre field, right centre field and right field.

Here is my question.... if a team moves an outfielder in and plays him as a 5th infielder, is his position still listed on the score sheets as being in one of the outfield positions?

Thanks

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Hey guys,

I have a question with regards to a players position on the field. Not necessarily where he is playing, but what position he is considered to be playing. let me elaborate...
I play in a league where an outfielder is not allowed to throw a runner out at first base. It began as a gentleman's rule that older guys would get 1st base if they got a ball into the outfield.

Okay, so you are in a pretend softball league. :)

In ASA players positions are listed as pitcher, catcher, 1st base, 2nd base, shortstop, 3rd base, left field, left centre field, right centre field and right field.

Here is my question.... if a team moves an outfielder in and plays him as a 5th infielder, is his position still listed on the score sheets as being in one of the outfield positions?

Thanks

With the exception of the pitcher and catcher, defensive positioning is irrelevant, but I would assume it would be F7. Of course, this means absolutely nothing to anyone other than a scorekeeper.

Prrebel

Addicted to Softballfans
Be nice now :)
Our league has been going for 40 years with guys 35 - 80+, ranging in skill level from 1 to 10. Great fun league.

Just one our by-laws that we will have to tidy up I guess.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
Nobody is going to be able to help you with this one. League rule shenanigans. ASA only cares that the pitcher is in contact with the rubber and that the catcher is behind the plate (and ready, for what that's worth). The other fielders can stand wherever they want as long as they aren't deliberately trying to distract the batter.

TL;DR - League rule shenanigans.

MarlSrSoftball

Into Semi-Retirement Still activebut not League
A lot of leagues, and we did it when we had only one division, had a rule that outfielders couldn't come any closer than 150'. It worked pretty well the years that we did it. (Now that I have reached that age I wish we still had that rule. LOL)

RustyShakleford

I understand the idea of a gentlemens agreement to not throw out old guys from the outfield. That's how you guys want to do it in your league, that's fine. I think the idea of trying to say that a guy playing in the infield is really an outfielder based on his position number so your gentlemens agreement would apply to this 5th infielder when he is clearly playing in the infield is bush league though.

Prrebel

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks guys
Thanks NDS... to me at position 10 would be an outfield position technically.

Rusty, I thought it was bush league as well, as it underlies the gentleman's rule (and again you may consider it 'league shenanigans, that's fine) of giving the older, less skilled players a chance to reach base and contribute. If you are gonna play 1 infielder in there, why not bring them all in and a make a mockery of the game.

RustyShakleford

I'm saying if they bring in a 5th infielder and he throws out the runner to 1st, he is out despite any agreement. He's being thrown out by an infielder not an outfielder.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
I'm saying if they bring in a 5th infielder and he throws out the runner to 1st, he is out despite any agreement. He's being thrown out by an infielder not an outfielder.

I agree, but if the league is more casual to the point of making a rule saying you can't throw a guy out at first on a possible base hit to the outfield, it seems like playing a 5 man IN THAT LEAGUE is a way to skirt the rules. It seems like the intent of the rule is to possibly give less skilled players more of a chance to get on base. Allowing a team to play a MI on the edge of the grass seems to be a way to get around the intent of the rule. If a team is playing a 5 man infield in that league, maybe they should look for a more competitive league.

RustyShakleford

There is an agreement to not throw slow old guys out from the outfield. Throwing them out from the infield is not part of this agreement. A 5th infielder is that, an infielder.

BigSam

Addicted to Softballfans
This seems racist against... non-old guys. Or whatever. What about fat guys? Or girls? Or people with a peg leg? :)