PLEASE READ!!! how do you know what batch your og freak is?

sampson

I just checked my friends 2nd batch 26 oz. and it has a metal plug.

my understanding on the 26ozers is that they **should** have rubber plugs (often they fall out leaving just an empty hole)...but im no expert on the 26ozers, so i could be mistaken. im going off what others have said on the 26ozrs instead of my own personal experience.

Dentmend

Extra Hitter
I've read this whole post and I have been looking for a Freak. From what I am understanding the first batch is what a guy would want correct? Are the other batches that inferior? I've never owned a Miken but have heard nothing but good about them. What would be the next best thing to the original Freak in your opinions?

mrl112

Smarter than you're
I've only hit 2nd batches and Limiteds (reissue of the OG,) but from what I've read:

1st bath are somewhat endloaded, and the hottest of all of them.
2nd, 3rd, and LE (Limited Edition) are balanced, and the performance is about equal on all 3. The difference in the 2nd/3rd and the LE seems to be durability. The OGs are more durable (although there are tons of LEs with tons of hits on them.

The difference in price between the 1st and 2nd/3rds can be pretty big, and you can get LEs in the $130-$150 range.

sampson

I've read this whole post and I have been looking for a Freak. From what I am understanding the first batch is what a guy would want correct? Are the other batches that inferior? I've never owned a Miken but have heard nothing but good about them. What would be the next best thing to the original Freak in your opinions?

this is how i see it:

1st batches: hotter than hell. they are a little endloaded (the smooth endcap makes them that way). and they are also pretty damn durable from my experience. if you are a 295' hitter and are looking for that little bit extra, the first batch might get you over the "hump"

2nd/3rd batch and limited: i lump these all together because imo there is no difference. they are all nasty when they are broken in. all are balanced. ive personally never hit a 2nd/3rd/limited that was as flat out nasty as as my 1st batches were, but im not saying they are bad either. for the price differential between the 1st and 2nd/3rd/limiteds, id personally go with the 2nd/3rd/limiteds. imo if you are good with the endload of the 1st batches, then they are better....but thats up to you if you feel the slight performance gain is worth the extra coin.

i have seen some of the limiteds that werent very durable (broke in 500ish hits), but most of them i have seen were nasty as hell and took a lot of hits. again, for the price difference of the limiteds to the ogs and the fact that the limiteds are returnable (pretty much no og freak regardless of batch is returnable without a little "magic") makes them all the more appealing and well worth it and an excellent value. id personally go with the limited cause i dont need the "extra little bit" the 1st batch gives you and the price is awesome.

take my opinion for whats it worth. you are gonna read a lot of people on here who say the llimiteds suck and to go with the og, but i respectfully disagree with them based on my own personal experience. go with what you can afford and are comfortable with...thats ultimately what its all about.

and if you are looking for the "next big thing", i personally have been using my 27oz supermax mv-1s and havent looked back and could give two ****s about an og freak ;) :cool:

Last edited:

Mr.Z

Shooting Middle Since 97'
this is how i see it:

1st batches:they are a little endloaded (the smooth endcap makes them that way)

What about the ones that had smooth endcaps with endloads of1.5oz and greater??? Are they the first first batch...
Z

sampson

What about the ones that had smooth endcaps with endloads of1.5oz and greater??? Are they the first first batch...
Z

i know you know how much variation miken has in their weighting, so i just chalk it up to variances in their manufacturing. i dont weigh my bats, so i use "endload" in regards to 1st batches loosely...

psycho15

does anyone know where i can get a reciept for a 2006 miken psycho 26 oz Bal.. thank you sorry for post on yours i am new to this site and dont know how to post my owe. Thank you

Arthur Benavides

sampson

does anyone know where i can get a reciept for a 2006 miken psycho 26 oz Bal.. thank you sorry for post on yours i am new to this site and dont know how to post my owe. Thank you

Arthur Benavides

its against board rules to ask for receipts...the bat manufacturers dont like that too much

olie2832

Addicted to Softballfans
i was just wondering if the freak + follow the same general guidelines? sorry if the question was asked already. thanks

sampson

i was just wondering if the freak + follow the same general guidelines? sorry if the question was asked already. thanks

no. this guide applies ONLY to the freak (and the freak limited somewhat). the freak+, freak98, freak+ players model or anything else are not covered...

jperr77

Addicted to Softballfans
3rd batch Endcap

Sorry if this has been covered, but I just bought a 3rd batch freak and it came with a smooth endcap. From the initial post, it seems as though it should have had a Miken logo. Did they make any 3rd batch with a smooth endcap?

hinzy

}}i{{
Sorry if this has been covered, but I just bought a 3rd batch freak and it came with a smooth endcap. From the initial post, it seems as though it should have had a Miken logo. Did they make any 3rd batch with a smooth endcap?

I highly doubt it... more than likely it was replaced

WhiteBrow24

The Dude Abides
Or they painted an ultra to look like an of freak as it would be less obvious and people would just say "they sure don't make em like they used to"

MANNYLINE#14

Addicted to Softballfans
Got a 2nd batch 4057181, hot as acid, Maybe 8-900 on it. Never altered and is legit, had it tested at a tournament and it failed. Rattles like a mofo and it sounds hollowed out which makes me think it's about to go soon. Going off my OG hall Mayhems, when they rattled and began to get that hollow sound, they soon broke with 50 more swings.......anyone else has a freak that feels like that and is still going or is that the death sound......

SVTKILR

Banned User
Does this include the Freak Plus ????

Does this guide include the Freak Plus also? jusy curious I have a guy that wants to trade me a Freak Plus the serial number are 4194031 he said it has a flat sticker on the knob? all info would be appreciated thanks fellas and happy Holidays.......svtkilr

Sons-of-Anarchy

Addicted to Softballfans
freak 2nd

Got a 2nd batch 4057181, hot as acid, Maybe 8-900 on it. Never altered and is legit, had it tested at a tournament and it failed. Rattles like a mofo and it sounds hollowed out which makes me think it's about to go soon. Going off my OG hall Mayhems, when they rattled and began to get that hollow sound, they soon broke with 50 more swings.......anyone else has a freak that feels like that and is still going or is that the death sound......

Sell it now...it's gonna pop

altaylor33

I'm new on here and according to the info you have posted, I have a first batch freak 98. Can you tell me how much this bat is worth? Model is MSF. S/N is in the 328's. Melted in W on the endcap with no Miken Logo on end cap. Thank you.

sampson

I'm new on here and according to the info you have posted, I have a first batch freak 98. Can you tell me how much this bat is worth? Model is MSF. S/N is in the 328's. Melted in W on the endcap with no Miken Logo on end cap. Thank you.

there is no such thing as a first batch freak 98. the thread only applies to the og freak, not the freak 98.

dubblrest1985

Starting Player
Here is something a little different...Second batch.

20140829_112006_zpsbv5r6sfu.jpg