Price check ...a custom Pro Preferred 208

tbarb

DSC00968.JPG DSC00970.JPG DSC00974.JPG Probably another newbie mistake - ordering a glove I had not seen, tried on, and going by pictures and opinions; but then that's what I had to make a decision. The glove is a black pro preferred custom 208 that was bought this past season and is almost broken in and played in 2 games. A problem I am sure is I had my name placed on it.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd say around $200 tops in that condition. The name embroidery really depreciates and glove (the exceptions are HoF or popular players and the glove needs to have been made or owned by them). The only embroidery I would consider adding is a name or nickname that gives the glove character or it's own identity (but even those occasions are rare).

I'll always recommend for someone to go locally and try a pattern on before going custom (otherwise it's always going to be a gamble). However, there are some patterns not readily available (208 being one of them) so you have no choice but to take the plunge.

What about the pattern did you not like?

MaverickAH

I'm also curious as to why you don't like the pattern.

While it's true that 208's are hard to find in a store, 207's & 206's are not. Same pattern, just 1/4" smaller respectively.

tbarb

Yeh, I thought there would be some 'depreciation' on the name. I thought for a while before clicking the mouse on the order to place the pattern or model number instead of my name on it , but was in retrospect too hopeful it was just going to work. I hadn't played in 30 years and now play 4 games a week and more over the summer the past 4 years.

Even for a fairly big city (Denver), we don't have a great retail store for softball/baseball. There are only a couple general sporting goods (chain) stores that will stock the better $250 + gloves, and the selection at that end is anemic. So I ended up choosing the Rawlings 208 after a couple months of posting on this site and looking around on the web mostly for pictures of select gloves I heard about, and talking to Rawlings (not very consistent answers). Unfortunately, I never saw a 206 or 207 locally, but my narrow hands and long fingers lead me to choose the 200 pattern as I surmised fitting my hand, which I like pretty tight; was more important (to me) than the actual pocket as I could probably make that work. Well, still working on it. What I don't like since you both asked is, in fact, the pocket. Fielded balls bounce around a bit inside the glove and this 'feel' does not inspire confidence. I keep looking at it to try to see what I could do. The break in took far longer than any other glove I have tried since I started playing again - posted that here thinking someone would straighten me out on what I could do when it was not softening up with repeated hits and some Lexol. An HOH glove (very old) and the Vinci kip glove I started with usually took a couple weeks and 8k-10k strikes with my mallet to break in; but this one took 28k before I could play it. I asked Rawlings to make the thumb and pinky stiffer and they acknowledged that on the order confirmation through Chad, but I don't think anything there is the problem. I like the thumb and pinky. I don't really like the way it closes either, but I can live with it. So the confidence factor is not there and it's like I have to think consciously about it when the ball is hit to me at second base. I'd still be playing the Vinci except for it's going floppy. I probably helped that along with more conditioner than needed.

I also have an RGG 1275 that does not seem to get much mention on this site or anywhere for that matter, but has worked okay since the Vinci was given away for the reasons above, and while the pocket is similar to the 200 pattern, as far as I can tell, I may just stick with it. The improvement I was trying to gain with the 200 pattern was a slightly heavier feel that would not sting as much as I like to field the ball in the pocket and not the web. I liked the feel of the PP leather with the Vinci 6oz kip glove (TJ1952) glove, but again it went soft and floppy.

So some lament here with all my typing. I may keep the 200 pattern as a rain glove after pounding some more on it to try to expand/stretch the pocket area to see if that helps, or just take the loss next spring, and try to find a used SP125 with presumably a deeper pocket yet medium/smaller hand stall, or maybe find a used Pro 1000 in 12.5/13" that I can bail on if they don't work out without losing as much on the coin.

If you have an idea how to handle my pocket issue please let me know.

Thanks-

Last edited:

MaverickAH

Based on the problem you've described, your glove is not fully broken in yet. There's absolutely no reason for you to give up on your glove. It just needs more work!

What I would recommend for you is the Aso Method. Just do a search. There's plenty of videos on YouTube.

tbarb

Thanks for the encouragement. So I'll keep at it.

I have seen the "Aso method" vids, but choose not to use it as I want the thumb and pinky to stay very stiff and did not want to break down those areas since I thought my Vinci kip went floppy pretty fast. I have relied on the "shoe shine" and a homemade mallet (a softball I glued to a small toilet bowl plunger stick). It worked well on the other two gloves I broke in (the Vinci kip and the RGG), which both took under 10,000 reps and I was playing with them. I basically beat a large pocket area, middle fingers and web while wearing it, and did the same on a thin rug over a cement floor. Also stretched it inside out and beat on it from the back but not the thumb or pinky.

MaverickAH

I get not wanting to do the full Aso thing. I've developed an alternate method that really works well:
  1. Get 2 or 3 thin bar towels. You can usually find them in 3 packs at the dollar store.
  2. Dip them in water & lightly wring them out.
  3. Place them in a bowl & put them in the microwave for 1 minute. Have tongs handy.
  4. Remove from the microwave & use the tongs to place 1 towel inside of the glove & 1 towel in the pocket. The 3rd towel may be necessary on bigger gloves or it can be used along the top of the fingers.
  5. Position the towels as desired & let them stay for about 5-10 mins.
  6. Work the glove in & then lightly condition. Store with a ball in the pocket.
  7. Repeat the process in a couple of days if needed.
What this does is introduce a moist heat into the leather. It is a cross between steaming & dunking. It really works well & takes about 2-3 weeks off of the break-in process. It also allows you to target the specific areas of a glove that you want to work on.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
Pocket bobble usually means it isn't broken enough for you (like what others have said). Unless you strictly want a straight heel, I'd also suggest the shoeshine rolling and roll mallet the crap out of the heel. Defining your break points how you like it is key (also already mentioned).

tbarb

QUOTE:[...place 1 towel inside of the glove & 1 towel in the pocket.
It also allows you to target the specific areas of a glove that you want to work on.[/QUOTE]

This sounds very interesting. Thanks, I'll do this.

To swinging Bunt: Yes, "pocket wobble", an excellent description.

MaverickAH

The method to Maverick's madness works, I've tried it recently and I'll do it again!

Not madness, just careful thought! I've put a lot of thought over the last 20 years into what's the correct way to break in a glove. A lot of it goes against conventional wisdom, especially when it comes to breaking in a glove for softball. Suffice to say, I don't believe in creating succinct break points.

The wet towels in the microwave idea was developed about 3 years ago during the "steaming craze". A lot of glove makers were putting out advisories against steaming & a lot of people were apprehensive about the Aso method. I had a glove that was giving me problems breaking in & this is what came to me. It seemed like a happy medium in between the two without being extreme as either. It worked......... That glove was my Frankenstein. It's never been gamed by me. For the most part it's been the glove that I sometimes carry with me when I umpire to serve as a warmup glove, an extra glove when someone needs it & a glove to use when helping to instruct kids. It's not one of my gamers but it is perfection, if I do say so myself!

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
I will try Maverick glove on the mizuno if I decide to keep it or return it since I have 30 days to think it over.

It does work, and like Maverick said, it just introduces moist heat to the leather. I've never been a fan of heat or water, the only heat I've ever applied to a glove was throwing a Vinci JCV-22 fastpitch mitt into the clothes dryer with a load of already dry towels for 10/15 minutes. But that glove was just ridiculous! It needed 93 octane gas and a match, the palm pads in Vinci catchers mitts are monsters!!

My method has always been to pound the break points and pocket with a 5lb. dumbbell and it's always worked well for me. Occasionally I'll let the glove sit in the sun and warm up, hit the break points I want and then just throw with Anna, she throws harder than probably 75% of the guys on this forum so that works really well:D. Seriously!!

I just recently tried Maverick's method the the Vinci that was gifted to Anna, it needs to be done 4 or 5 more times! Besides the catchers mitt I was referring to above, this Vinci RCV-VM is absolutely the stiffest fielders glove that's ever been in my house! My Horween 12TC when new was not on the same planet with this Vinci when it comes to stiffness!

Party mafia, try it, I think you'll be happy with the results.

tbarb

So I tried this and found I needed about 2 min in the microwave for the towels to get hot enough to need a tongs, and it did soften the leather. The whole point of select area break in is the thing as you say. I did this for 3 cycles of hot towels consecutively in the pocket area of the glove and beat at it profusely 500+ times each time a new hot towel was applied until it cooled off. Seemed like it made a small difference, but the glove was still moist to some degree; so I applied some Lexol conditioner after wiping all moisture off of it and wrapped in up for a few days and will inspect again. Too early to guess, but I think another 3 to 4 cycles of this may make the difference. Again thanks for your idea...

MaverickAH

Let me see if I can't offer you a little bit of help:

The "thenar space" is the area between your thumb & index finger. That would also be the area at the bottom of the web on a glove normally referred to as the "crotch". This area, on a well made glove, can be one of the most difficult areas to break in. Why? Because it's the place that has the most layers of leather overlapping each other. It's an area where it doesn't pay to be gentle. Shoe shine the heel? Shoe shine the crotch too!!! Because of the multiple layers of leather, you have to hit it from all sides. The pocket...... Inside of the hand stall (to get to the back of the pocket)......... And sometimes even the back of the glove when it's reinforced and/or you have a finger pad. It's usually the area that gets the most conditioner & attention when I break in a glove & I'm notorious for not overly breaking in my gloves. I'm more in the Ozzie camp when it comes to breaking in a glove.

tbarb

Yep ...I used this glove this morning at an indoor sandlot style game after it sat for 3 days wrapped up with a ball after doing your method with the hot towels. I must say it was much better ...maybe 90% better. Almost there. I'm going to let is sit to next week - Tuesday - as I also placed a bit of Lexol on it and my experience has been the conditioner keeps working over a longer period and it can be overdone. Maybe it will be ok next week or I'll do one more hot towel treatment only and beat it into submission. The 'wobble' was mostly lower from the 'crotch' area around the center palm area. Maybe it had something to do with the palm pad. But its much more pliable now too. This glove literally took almost 34-35k hits with my softball on a stick. The only glove that was ever like this. All other gloves have been 8k-10k.

Anywhoo - thanks for taking your time to spell your idea out ...Genius!!

Bow Commander

I tried Maverick's method the other day. Did two towels for 2 minutes in the microwave, let them sit on the pocket and stall for about 2 minutes then went to working it in. This glove was very stiff and is now really close to where I like it. I'll probably do another 1-2 cycles of this method. Thanks for posting it.

Attachments

• image1 (004).jpeg
    image1 (004).jpeg
    646.9 KB · Views: 12