Primo Supermax or DC-41 ?

tbarb

So I want to buy a bat that is a notch heavier than I am swinging now. I am currently hitting a USSSA Primo 27" OZ. Maxload.
I am considering a 28 OZ Primo Maxload or a 27 OZ DC-41 to swing more weight . I have tried a few bats of others, but the thing that destroys logical comparisons is any bat labeled 27 or 28 OZ can be 1/2 oz off in either direction. And many that should by label weight and EL feel similar do not.

Since I can't just walk into a store and swing bats for lack of inventory to make a good decision, I am left wondering if I should get a DC-41 with the 1/2 OZ heavier EL in the same 27 OZ overall bat weight , which gets me a heavier swing weight; or stay with the same maxload EL and move up one OZ to a 28 OZ. bat. I've been unable to swing these bats together to be able to tell. What I would like know from folks who have hit a lot of bats and are familiar with Miken is which method might be best. Going from a 1/2 OZ EL to a full OZ EL, or going from a 27 OZ bat with 1/2 OZ EL to a 28OZ bat with the same EL?

There may be a benefit having a couple of bats with the same EL, but I did like the full EL of the DC-41 I swung and distance was clearly gained and I think speed though the infield too. I am debating now about getting 28 OZ Primo Maxload to keep with my 27 OZ Primo Maxload, or get a 27 OZ DC-41. I am unsure which way (bumping up the EL or the overall bat weight is the way to go. Someone suggested going from a 1/2oz to full OZ EL was like 2 OZ of overall bat weight. No so sure but again without bats to swing I have to guess.

Thanks for any light you could shed on this! What do most players do when they go to a heavier bat.

I thought I had seen a Supermax Primo with a full OZ EL, but I only see 12" barrels with that when I look now that I am ready to buy ; and I know that is too heavy and I want the larger Sweet spot.

Last edited:

D-ROCK13

Miken = Worth. Miken 14"= Worth 13.5", Miken12"=Worth12.5", Worth XL= Miken maxload, Worth XXL = Miken Supermax.

So a dc41 would be the same as a 14" primo supermax, but i think they only made supermaxes in the short barrel. A worth long barrel super max would be the same a dc41 as well

Going from max to supermax or xxl shouldn't be that big of a difference imho

Last edited:

tbarb

Ah ... this is interesting: Miken = Worth. Miken 14"= Worth 13.5", Miken12"=Worth13.5", Worth XL= Miken maxload, Worth XXL = Miken Supermax. I knew they merged but did not know the comparitives. Thanks.

Oh wait: The equation Miken 14"=Worth 13.5" and Miken 12" = Worth 13.5" has a definitive failure since Miken 14" does not equal Miken 12". Is there a reason you wrote this, or are you just stating the Worth closest and they happen to make 13.5"?

I'll take a look at Worth XL and XXL's. My major question was would most folks wanting to move up to a heavier bat go with a higher EL (XL to XXL), or a overall heavier bat (27oz to 28oz) ?

Mr. G

(213) L.A. Confidential
Go with a 27oz DC or a 2020 27oz Primo Supermax (same bat as the DC; 14' barrel full oz endload).

Both of these bats make it almost impossible to miss the ball and, for what it's worth, I swing the same oz bats in all dimensions (12", 14" 1/2 oz, full oz etc....) because it takes the confusion out of it for me.

Plus, if you're already swinging a XL/Maxload going up won't hurt you (in my opinion).

-G

tbarb

Yeh, your idea of swinging the same overall weight in all bats; but varying the EL, or in your case bat length makes this easier. Thanks for tip. And I only want to go a bit heavier so I don't completely overshoot my ability and mess up my swing.

I was initially fixed on a 2019 before the new bat standard just for anything else that might help . But maybe I am majoring in the minors with that thought.

Last edited:

jkwoody22

League ball huer
Miken 12” = worth 12.5” is what he meant, I swing 27 max load/XL load and it’s perfect for me, a 13.5 krecher and worth legit 12.5, I tried a dc41 in 27 supermax and just wasn’t consistent with that endload, but swung a worth 28oz XL for a couple of games and had better results, for me it’s not the weight, but the endload, the miken/worth max load/XL is perfect for my swing regardless of barrel length

Last edited:

D-ROCK13

Typo, that was supposed to read miken 12" = worth 12.5", miken and worth merged a few years back and they are the same, they simply market them as being different

As far as the endload vs going up in weight variable, thats going to be a matter of personal opinion i think. I can swing a 26oz bal long barrel one game and switch to a 29oz endload short barrel the next and stay consistent. But i see guys every week, who have to swing one weight and load combo only, and cannot be consistent otherwise

Last edited:

tbarb

Yeh, as I looked at Worth bats that seemed to be the deal.

And yep, that's at the core of my concern. Some background: I tried a few bats 7 years ago after I started to play again after 40 years and a 27oz Balanced bat seemed to be way to go. It felt smoother and easier as it should have I guess. I never gave it another thought. I was having trouble striking the ball well anyways back then. I had tried a 27oz Freak Maxload and it felt like it was jerking my arms out at the apex of my swing. I remember thinking the EL was felt even more in the 26oz than the 27oz.

A couple years later I swung a friends Maxload in a game and it seemed fine, so fine that I was sure I was getting more distance and I think I could tell I was striking the ball harder. I was also a much better player by then though. Good hits were not felt very much by bat feedback - if that is a word. So I went overboard and bought a clearance DC-41 which quickly taught me the difference between a Maxload/XL and Supermax/XXL. Really could not get that Supermax swing started our very well. Very slow to get going. So I carried a 27 oz Freak Black Maxload and a 28oz Freak Black Balanced for two years after that and both worked well. The Maxload, even though an over all oz less; felt heavier to swing between the two. Other team members loved the 27 Maxload too. But they did not know why. I kept using it more often as well spurred on by a rare home run I suppose, though the line drives /grounders seemed to rip through the infield faster too.

For now I carry a 26oz Primo Maxload and a 27oz Primo Maxload having become a believer in an EL. Both work well though I do not think I swing the 26oz any faster than the 27oz - and the 27oz performs better. It may be a timing thing as my swing stayed the same. I made me wonder as I am getting stronger playing in several senior leagues now if I should try a 27oz and 28oz Primo Maxload for my next bats. The 26oz Primo was not leaving my bag anyway. I know I'm probably close to what I should probably should be swinging , but there is this tendency to still screw around and seek better. So I used a friends 3 year old 28oz DC-41 at a practice and I could not believe that my swing did not seem much different, but the ball flight was faster and farther. Several hit the warning track and many close which is not my usual thing. I had some trouble going cross field , but otherwise a great experience. I think I could iron that out. So here I am - not satisfied again.

You are probably right , in that we are the bigger variable. I suspect the 28oz DC-41 was in reality swung a bit slower, but not much; but ball contact was much stronger with the bat leverage supplying continued speed after contact.

Anyway that's my story and I am sticking to it. So I will get a 27oz Supermax for my net bat. I noticed a big difference between the balanced and Maxload bats , but not as much difference between the 26oz and 27oz Maxload bats I've had so far. So the EL has been the bigger thing. Then I'll see what I end up going to most over this season.

Thanks...

Last edited: