Pro M challenge......

D-ROCK13

It's always fun to play in fall league after dark, with gold dot extreme classic ms, and watch guys hit 400ft bombs up into the tree tops. Not fun when they smoke one up the middle at me at 100mph +

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's always fun to play in fall league after dark, with gold dot extreme classic ms, and watch guys hit 400ft bombs up into the tree tops. Not fun when they smoke one up the middle at me at 100mph +
Exactly, and every team I've faced so far has at least one bat that I'd put money on as failing. Pitching to that is not fun for leagues.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
If anyone at utrip really cared about what their "safety" measures we're doing all they'd have to do is watch YouTube and check out the used bat market on fb.

There's multiple YouTube channels telling you which bays fail the fastest and get the hottest, and most even say things like great for lower level leagues that don't test. Because we definitely want the hottest equipment in the least skilled leagues.

Then compare the bats that are failing to their used bat prices. The ones going for more than retail are the few that are very hot while passing, but the next group holding their value are the ones that fail fastest an don't busy while failing. 2 year old eastons that are known to crack at the connection piece are going for more than they did new from a rep. It's crazy, and very obvious that this was never about safety or balancing out the game.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
If anyone at utrip really cared about what their "safety" measures we're doing all they'd have to do is watch YouTube and check out the used bat market on fb.

There's multiple YouTube channels telling you which bays fail the fastest and get the hottest, and most even say things like great for lower level leagues that don't test. Because we definitely want the hottest equipment in the least skilled leagues.

Then compare the bats that are failing to their used bat prices. The ones going for more than retail are the few that are very hot while passing, but the next group holding their value are the ones that fail fastest an don't busy while failing. 2 year old eastons that are known to crack at the connection piece are going for more than they did new from a rep. It's crazy, and very obvious that this was never about safety or balancing out the game.

If USSSA really did care about safety they'd make ONLY 240 bats legal and use C+ balls.

ilyk2win

Addicted to Softballfans
IMO the USSSA C+ ball was awful when I've used it. Now it's been years so perhaps they have a better product now, but it was noticeably worse than AS/USA's version of the 52 ball.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO the USSSA C+ ball was awful when I've used it. Now it's been years so perhaps they have a better product now, but it was noticeably worse than AS/USA's version of the 52 ball.
This is a good point. There may even be more difference between the top and bottom versions of the 52 than these different pro m batches. I think if they'd just make the switch people two years from now wouldn't even care. They should've done it when nsa did though.

I'm fine with some compromise of that's the best we'll get. I just want the classic ms gone. I hit some stemmed steele's 47/375 back in 2004 that i wouldn't feel are too much ball with 240s. Or a 48/325 if it's at the high end of that cut off. The 52 is the easiest though, and those nx3s are already really good balls.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur

I've hit every brand/version of ASA .52 300s and USSSA C+s. I didn't see much (if any) difference. Obviously the higher end balls (composite cover) perform better than cheap synthetics, but a .52 is a .52 regardless of what stamp's on it.

One thing I will say is that even a lousy C+ will outperform a Pro M in the middle of the summer when it's really hot out.

TWmccoy

3DX Connoisseur
This is a good point. There may even be more difference between the top and bottom versions of the 52 than these different pro m batches. I think if they'd just make the switch people two years from now wouldn't even care. They should've done it when nsa did though.

I'm fine with some compromise of that's the best we'll get. I just want the classic ms gone. I hit some stemmed steele's 47/375 back in 2004 that i wouldn't feel are too much ball with 240s. Or a 48/325 if it's at the high end of that cut off. The 52 is the easiest though, and those nx3s are already really good balls.

A .48. 325 ball would be interesting to mess around with. I feel like it would fly decent, but never get too hard.

D-ROCK13

Played at 815 & 915 at 55F last night, no wind and lots of dew/moisture, gold dot classic ms and zn pro ms. Honestly couldn't tell much difference in balls under those conditions. Sounded like every swing was with shaved bats and everyone was going yard or hitting really hard liners. Ridiculous how much both balls change with temp

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Played at 815 & 915 at 55F last night, no wind and lots of dew/moisture, gold dot classic ms and zn pro ms. Honestly couldn't tell much difference in balls under those conditions. Sounded like every swing was with shaved bats and everyone was going yard or hitting really hard liners. Ridiculous how much both balls change with temp
It's very obvious that the decision makers in utrip aren't pitching in leagues with no testing where the average temp is around 60. Below 60 it's hard to tell a difference unless you get hit by one, and then the difference isn't as obvious until a week later when there's basically no change where you were hit by the m.

My league's lighting situation is so bad it'd be tough to tell anyway. Is the classic m hotter than the pro m, or can I just not see the ball because one whole pole's lights are out.

D-ROCK13

Just like everything else, it's all about money in long run....

We have turfed infields, but, half of the parks lights are always out. Makes no sense, especially considering the amount they charge for league, combined with the amount of teams, and nights played here.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just like everything else, it's all about money in long run....

We have turfed infields, but, half of the parks lights are always out. Makes no sense, especially considering the amount they charge for league, combined with the amount of teams, and nights played here.
The majority here are privately owned and run for profit. It's my first experience with that, and so far it's been rough. The park mgr is great, but isn't in charge of the money so i feel bad for her.