Pro Preferred Leather Thickness/ Weight

SBfanz42

Anybody notice a difference between the PP leathers in terms of their thickness/ weight? I’ve got a rich tan and a camel PP but I was playing with my friend’s bruciato the other day (same model/ size as my 2) and it seemed much thicker and heavier. He said he didn’t oil it or anything. We weighed all 3 gloves to see and the bruciato was in fact the heaviest (by far), followed by rich tan, and then slightly lighter was the camel. Just curious if anyone here has had a similar experience.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Leather thickness and stiffness and density vary across a hide and between hides. Other than that, all leather has some oil added during the tanning process, but some has a lot more than others. If the Bruciato had more oil added, teh glove could weight 3-4 ounces more than the exact same glove made out of a Japanese tanned leather. Kip leather is supposedly lighter than steerhide too. IMO thickness is not the biggest cause of weight differences.

defos

I've had several PROS601s of various colors pass through my hands in the past few years. Most were from the early years of PP. I currently have 2 black and gray ones, and my gamer PROS27-TFPP which is the same pattern - 12.75" Fastback Trap-Eze. All are/were relatively light, except for my PROS27. It's considerably heavier, but it's a different and thicker leather. It's an oil treated leather of some sort in what I guess is Primo Burgundy in color. I had a black PROS601 with gold labels that was possibly the lightest. I tried on a camel 1st base mitt in a PIAS last year that was as light as my camel GGE 1st base mitt. The two tone PP 1st base mitt I had a couple of years ago was thicker and heavier. I sold it because I wouldn't have played 1st enough to ever break it in. The camel one at PIAS would have broken in quickly.

SBfanz42

Just to add to the fun here, we just weighed my buddies primo sherry, same specs as the Bruciato except with a modified single post, and it is a full oz lighter.