PROS303B vs A2K 1799

HPower

Addicted to Softballfans
I know this has been asked a million times but I am wondering what the thoughts are on the comparison of the "current"
2016 Rawlings Pro Preferred PROS303B vs the 2016 Wilson A2K 1799 for softball outfield?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I think they are so similar in pattern and overall quality that you can go with your gut and you'll be very happy. I do think the hand stall on the 1799 is a bit bigger. In either case, personally, I would opt for either a HOH or A2000 custom over the PP or A2K (and save some money in either case). Hoh, I'd wait for the tan Horween option and A2000 I'd go with orange tan. Also, I see you own a Nokona AMG650. The new Nokona L1300 that has replaced it is very similar to the two gloves you mentioned in both pattern and quality.

HPower

Addicted to Softballfans
Rous,

Ya, the price of admission does go up a noticeable chunk from HOH/2000 to PP/AK2.
Last year I had a Pro Heart Of The Hide PRO303CRW…
http://www.unitedcycle.com/product/rawlings-12.75-pro-heart-of-the-hide-pro303crw-22624.htm
Very nice glove but I did not even break it in before selling.
As well, I have had a Retail 1781 that I did use but did not play enough infield to justify keeping her.

With me manly gaming my kangaroo, I do appreciate a slightly lighter glove, probably the main reason I am looking at the PP an AK2.

Up here in Canada, I have been able to try on the PP303 but the AK2 1799 is like a unicorn, so I really have no direct comparo other than with the A2000.
The A2000 "seems" to have a bit deeper pocket, but does have a hand stall that borders on the too big side for my hand (med-large batting glove).

bigjbowski16

Addicted to Softballfans
I have HOH pro 303 and a2k 1799 so not exactly the comparison you want. 1799 when the hand stall is tightened is not an issue. 1799 will be deeper and wider. The 1799 weighs 26.3 oz and the HOH pro303 weighs 23.2 oz. a2k is just thicker leather and padding all around. Hope this helps

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
If you don't mind a PROS303-6BR instead, some of the National Sports around here had them on clearance. I wanna say Pickering may have had one.

Last edited:

jb_onethree

Addicted to Softballfans
The leather isn't "thicker" on an A2K.....wow. It's a diff grade. That's all. HOH and Wilson use steer hide, the A2K is just a higher grade. Pro preferred uses kip which is the hide from a younger cow for a finer grain.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
An A2K 1799 and a A2000 1799 should be the same pattern. Same goes for the PRO303 and the PROS303. No reason to think one or the other will be lighter (I always hear that kip is lighter, but I don't buy it). Wilsons have more internal parts, so my experience is that they tend to be a bit heavier than an equal sized Rawlings, but leather can vary quite a bit, glove to glove.

The sandstone Nokona L-1300 should be in the 24-25oz range. I had a 13.5" AMG700 made out of the sandstone and it was 24.5oz.

HPower

Addicted to Softballfans
If you don't mind a PROS303-6BR instead, some of the National Sports around here had them on clearance. I wanna say Pickering may have had one.

Ya,
I saw one at my Newmarket National but did not care for it's condition as it has probably been handled by everybody and their dog over the last year while sitting there.

And, as you know I am a bit of a sucker for a black glove.

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
An A2K 1799 and a A2000 1799 should be the same pattern. Same goes for the PRO303 and the PROS303. No reason to think one or the other will be lighter (I always hear that kip is lighter, but I don't buy it). Wilsons have more internal parts, so my experience is that they tend to be a bit heavier than an equal sized Rawlings, but leather can vary quite a bit, glove to glove.

The sandstone Nokona L-1300 should be in the 24-25oz range. I had a 13.5" AMG700 made out of the sandstone and it was 24.5oz.

I agree with you on the Rawlings, every HOH and PP 303 that i've owned has been almost identical sizing. With the A2000 vs A2K though, I have one exception and i'm not sure why. I used to own last year's A2K KP92, the black and grey with red stitching, felt it was way too narrow for softball. Now I own a PI A2000 KP92, all black, and it is significantly bigger and much more suited for softball.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I agree with you on the Rawlings, every HOH and PP 303 that i've owned has been almost identical sizing. With the A2000 vs A2K though, I have one exception and i'm not sure why. I used to own last year's A2K KP92, the black and grey with red stitching, felt it was way too narrow for softball. Now I own a PI A2000 KP92, all black, and it is significantly bigger and much more suited for softball.

Wild. I don't doubt you at all, but I can't believe the stamping dyes are different for the two models (although anything is possible). However, a guy at Nokona told me that gloves can vary noticeably just depending on how much leather is gathered in each seam (1/32" difference over all the seams in a glove can add up to 1/4").

We gotta have some 1799 A2K and A2000 owners who can chime in here.. Jen?

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
I hear ya, it's the strangest thing. I'll try and get a better pic of the A2000 tonight but theres lots of pics in my photobucket of both.

A2000 KP92:

A2K KP92:

HPower

Addicted to Softballfans
While at National Sports I was able to compare the new Blonde A2000 with last year's PROS303-6BR and the 1799 looked to have a noticeably deeper pocket.
It did feel a bit heavier than the PP, but not enough to be a deal breaker.
I think their price was 300 for the A2000 and the PP303 was on sale for 325... I think.

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
While at National Sports I was able to compare the new Blonde A2000 with last year's PROS303-6BR and the 1799 looked to have a noticeably deeper pocket.
It did feel a bit heavier than the PP, but not enough to be a deal breaker.
I think their price was 300 for the A2000 and the PP303 was on sale for 325... I think.

Yeah, the blonde 1799's retail for 299 CAD. That 6BR was on clearance in Pickering for 250 CAD. Not an amazing deal, but OK.

fuzzai

Starting Player
And, as you know I am a bit of a sucker for a black glove.

Find the 2014 1799 in all black, blue welting and super skin on the back.
Last year i found one at a monkey store online shipped it to canada, was never used. I loved it, i just don't play outfield so i sold it, but it was nice and light for an outfield glove. The superskin really helps.

HPower

Addicted to Softballfans
How's that KP92 looking? I assume you want an OF glove...

I stopped at the Hwy7 National and they had no PPs, a couple HOH 303BHs, a few Blonde A2000 1799s, and a couple A2K KP92s.

I realize the KP92 is a 12.5" glove, but I agree with you and your 2 pics, that "these" would not do it for me as an outfield glove.
They seemed too narrow in the pocket compared to either the HOH 303 and A2000 1799.
But… the A2K leather and build is VERY nice!

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
I stopped at the Hwy7 National and they had no PPs, a couple HOH 303BHs, a few Blonde A2000 1799s, and a couple A2K KP92s.

I realize the KP92 is a 12.5" glove, but I agree with you and your 2 pics, that "these" would not do it for me as an outfield glove.
They seemed too narrow in the pocket compared to either the HOH 303 and A2000 1799.
But… the A2K leather and build is VERY nice!

If you're ever in the Hamilton/Burlington/Oakville area, lmk and ill bring the KP92 for you to see.

17HnH

Old Made New Glove Relacing Owner
My vote for outfield is the 1799 A2K. I've had both the A2K and A2000 version and while the A2000 is certainly plenty of glove, the A2K is a cut above. You can find them slightly used and even NWOT's for well under $200 (I sold my A2K 1799 in 9 of 10 condition) for $175. I wear M batting gloves and added a hole to tighten the hand stall and it was perfect for TIP. Weight varies on all gloves, but only by a bit. For outfield it shouldn't be an issue when comparing HOH/PP/A2000/A2K. I now game a HOH for infield. However, when I come across a PP for a reasonable price in the 12.5-12.75" range in a colorway I like, I'll go that route. All that being said, any of the four leather grades are exceptional. I can't speak for the 303 pattern as my HOH is a 302, but plenty of these guys have offered it. Happy hunting.

HPower

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the input 17HnH,

Choosing between these 4 gloves, is probably a no loose situation.
That's what makes it so hard to decide!

I was able to check out a A2K KP92 in person and I do see why the A2K gloves get such high praise.
I really wish I could see the 1799 in A2K livery next to the others.

I have a line on a brand new PROS303BB for $250usd delivered which is a deal up here compared to retail of $399cnd plus our glorious 13% sales tax.
Ya, I know :wtf2: with the taxes. :eek: