protein

was at my doc today and was told my kidney function was abnormal(from blood work i had done)i had never had a prol before this.i told doc that i use protein and creatine for workouts(basically just when i'm playing ball,3-5 times a week)and doc said that was prolly my problem.doc says the kidneys are over worked to filter the protein out of your urine and causes them problems and i should stop using them.anyone hear of this.

tattt3

Coach
Well i will tell you this,as im not so much sure about the protien being the problem,if your not consuming enough water and if you have to ask your self "did i drink enough water today" you didnt when using creatine you MUST drink tons of water

Ben_Johnson41

The Gr8est Show on Dirt™
Well i will tell you this,as im not so much sure about the protien being the problem,if your not consuming enough water and if you have to ask your self "did i drink enough water today" you didnt when using creatine you MUST drink tons of water

There is truth in this. Even with the protein you need to make sure you consume at least the suggested amount of water with it. Creatine requires quite a bit of water intake.

89FoxBody

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd definitely lean more toward the creatine being the issue. There's a reason it says you must drink X amount of water each day while using this product. Otherwise your kidneys will get saturated with it and thus the reduced function. Read the labels of stuff you are taking.

ss_stud

Addicted to Softballfans
i got 2 kidney stones from using creatine...its def. the problem

creatine turns into creatinine which is one of the most common causes of kidney stones.....make sure ur using a good micronized creatine like creapure and def. drink enough water to stay hydrated and not stress the kidneys

Onefiver

Addicted to Softballfans
Creatine and protein can definitely be complicating factors for people with already compromised kidneys. They typically do not cause problems in and of themselves.

They only way to know for sure is to stop both and retest after a period of time.

Or you can ignore your doc and go with the diagnosis random people on the internet give you based solely on what you've written.

-TC-

Manager
Creatine and protein can definitely be complicating factors for people with already compromised kidneys. They typically do not cause problems in and of themselves.

They only way to know for sure is to stop both and retest after a period of time.

Or you can ignore your doc and go with the diagnosis random people on the internet give you based solely on what you've written.

This^^ Just to add though its not just the whey protein, its all sources of it. But it usually doesnt cause problems, but it can make it worse if kidneys are failing

thanks everyone,i usually mix a combo(use the powder of both) of the pro/crea in a half gallon jug,with water and sometimes some green tea.i do drink a lot of water type products along with green tea every day,maybe just not enough.i also might be using to much of my combo when i mix it in my jug,might be 2-3 servings per jug.guess i'm gonna have to watch how i mix it from now on...

jmartinez

i hate seeing this that's why I hate taking this junk but I still do. I only take protien and jack3d on workout days normally 3 days a week. I hope you find the cause. GL bro

vankleekkw

Addicted to Softballfans
thanks everyone,i usually mix a combo(use the powder of both) of the pro/crea in a half gallon jug,with water and sometimes some green tea.i do drink a lot of water type products along with green tea every day,maybe just not enough.i also might be using to much of my combo when i mix it in my jug,might be 2-3 servings per jug.guess i'm gonna have to watch how i mix it from now on...

Water type products are not water. If they contain alcohol, caffeine, or sugars, you must still drink your required amounts of pure water. You should actually drink an extra glass of water for every glass of the other stuff as alcohol and caffeine dehydrate you.

Water type products are not water. If they contain alcohol, caffeine, or sugars, you must still drink your required amounts of pure water. You should actually drink an extra glass of water for every glass of the other stuff as alcohol and caffeine dehydrate you.

i don't do sugar products for drinking,my green tea is sugarless and my water products no sugar,sodium types that i have found at walmart.they do flavor with aspertane (sp) for the flavors they have.don't drink that much alcohol(still have half of a 30 pack of beer bought in feb),and do a cup of coffee 3-5 times a week,depending time of year,cold weather more summer less. i went and had more blood work this morning and am waiting on the results,but may have to start more drinking of straight water as you say.

Jello_19

Coach
Try lemon in water? Or WalMart also has Stevia sweetened flavors too, but ultimately plain water or with lemon would be better

Try lemon in water? Or WalMart also has Stevia sweetened flavors too, but ultimately plain water or with lemon would be better

they also have flavored sparkling water(clear american),which i like better,no sodium,sugar etc....

also another question,do you all cycle using the protein or creatine.....

Andrew80

The Veteran
Try to buy creatine hydrochloride. gnc sells it and MRI has their ce2 high def which is hydrochloride. The hydrochloride does not convert to creatinine easily, AND it doesnt cause water bloat. I would also go with isolate protein.

Creatine is in all of our bodies naturally. When taking the creatine supplement you are enhancing the creatine levels in your body. There is no way that you can use up all of the creatine taken by a supplement and your body naturally excretes the rest out. This goes the same for protein, a normal person will only absorb up to 30 grams of protein per hour. So my guess is that you are over saturating your body with both of these and therefore overworking your kidneys. I am myself not a big fan of creatine. Personally i would recommend you drop the creatine and pick up some glutamine. This will put less stress on the kidneys and help you recover just the same.

Creatine is in all of our bodies naturally. When taking the creatine supplement you are enhancing the creatine levels in your body. There is no way that you can use up all of the creatine taken by a supplement and your body naturally excretes the rest out. This goes the same for protein, a normal person will only absorb up to 30 grams of protein per hour. So my guess is that you are over saturating your body with both of these and therefore overworking your kidneys. I am myself not a big fan of creatine. Personally i would recommend you drop the creatine and pick up some glutamine. This will put less stress on the kidneys and help you recover just the same.

i think that is what i'm doing,i had more blood work last friday and my kidneys are coming back to normal(took 3 weeks off from using b/c of a medical condition).i take and mix my protein,creatine and cytomax all in container and put 2-3 scoops,of the mix, in my half gallon jug when i mix it up.only use it when i i'm playing ball or bping.don't use it if i'm not playing.i use it for tourney's mostly b/c of not eating (just don't like to when doing tourney's,light if any).oh well.

slapshot76

Addicted to Softballfans
i think that is what i'm doing,i had more blood work last friday and my kidneys are coming back to normal(took 3 weeks off from using b/c of a medical condition).i take and mix my protein,creatine and cytomax all in container and put 2-3 scoops,of the mix, in my half gallon jug when i mix it up.only use it when i i'm playing ball or bping.don't use it if i'm not playing.i use it for tourney's mostly b/c of not eating (just don't like to when doing tourney's,light if any).oh well.

Why are you taking supplements when you play softball or are taking bp? This makes no sense to me.

dgambill85

Banned User
I was a corpsman for 6 years and had to deal with these problems with marines all the time. Water intake is huge. If you are on any supplements at ALL you should be ingesting almost a gallon or more of water a day. Just to be on the safe side. I've seen 23 year old males drop on a basketball court do to to much potassium from the vitamins that they were taking because they didn't flush their system with water. A lot of the supplements get pissed out because you don't use or can't use that much of them. Therefore they pass through the kidneys and can get deposited there because there is not enough fluid to push them through the system. Also number one way to lose weight is to greatly increase water intake. Flushes you digestive system catching the deposited food that is there and also fills your stomach causing you to feel full faster. The creatine is honestly just for looks. It draws the water out of other regions and places them into the muscles making them swell with water. Cannons391 has it right with Glutamine. Same recovery help but less of the dehydrating symptoms. Hopefully this helped. Also on the bottles it says consult with a doctor before taking the items. This should be done because they will be able to tell you what everything does and if it really works. A lot of the time you can make your own supplements and they work better. but again consult with your physician.

Why are you taking supplements when you play softball or are taking bp? This makes no sense to me.

why not,its my workout,just as if i was throwing weights up,mine is BP instead...

I was a corpsman for 6 years and had to deal with these problems with marines all the time. Water intake is huge. If you are on any supplements at ALL you should be ingesting almost a gallon or more of water a day. Just to be on the safe side. I've seen 23 year old males drop on a basketball court do to to much potassium from the vitamins that they were taking because they didn't flush their system with water. A lot of the supplements get pissed out because you don't use or can't use that much of them. Therefore they pass through the kidneys and can get deposited there because there is not enough fluid to push them through the system. Also number one way to lose weight is to greatly increase water intake. Flushes you digestive system catching the deposited food that is there and also fills your stomach causing you to feel full faster. The creatine is honestly just for looks. It draws the water out of other regions and places them into the muscles making them swell with water. Cannons391 has it right with Glutamine. Same recovery help but less of the dehydrating symptoms. Hopefully this helped. Also on the bottles it says consult with a doctor before taking the items. This should be done because they will be able to tell you what everything does and if it really works. A lot of the time you can make your own supplements and they work better. but again consult with your physician.

yeah it was my doc who mention the sups might be over working my kidneys.on the labels tho,they say just take plenty of fluids,and only say don't use if you happen to have/had some sort of kidney disease.they also have the disclaimer,like all sups do, about consulting a doc before using,but hey that is on everything now a days.well guess i'm gonna have to be more diligent on getting more water into me.....

dafox

Fox in Socks
Fyi

Recent studies do not support the use of glutamine for recovery, performance, or increases in lean body mass.

stjLF4

Addicted to Softballfans
was at my doc today and was told my kidney function was abnormal(from blood work i had done)i had never had a prol before this.i told doc that i use protein and creatine for workouts(basically just when i'm playing ball,3-5 times a week)and doc said that was prolly my problem.doc says the kidneys are over worked to filter the protein out of your urine and causes them problems and i should stop using them.anyone hear of this.

BB sorry to hear about the kidneys...like people have said, you probably need to get a lot more water into your system. The jug might seem like a lot, but with the creatine intake, you really need to up it. Try having a small glass of water once an hour. This should really help with the filtering process and help get out more urine/impurities.