Questions about 44pro

I think it just depends a little bit on how you plan to break in your glove. Are you just going to play catch or will you dunk it, pound, condition, etc.? The signature series will come very stiff, but mine loosened up to be gameable reasonably quick after pouring some hot water on the palm (aka ASO method) if I remember right. The classic series will be gameable pretty quickly, within a week if you work on it every day, maybe sooner. The classic series is a nice glove for the money but not really in the same class as the Signature or a HOH, a2000 etc. Not really made to last, like the others.

I think the only real reason to get a classic is to save some $$$s or if you want something that is gameable super quick. If you have a couple weeks to work on the Signature, I'd get that one.

BTW, gloveworks is also having a 20% off sale right now. Trying to decide if I want to give them a try as well.

GL with your build.

Thanks! I think I'm leaning towards the Signature. A teammate and good friend just ordered one and I got the itch to take advantage of the Halloween sale, but in reality my Mizuno is still in pretty good shape, so I'm not really in a rush, might wait until I hold my friend's in my hands to confirm 100% I want t go that route. Thank you again!

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
So glad I found this thread. I've been playing with the 44 custom builder, and am undecided which one to order (Classic vs Signature). I understand the Signature is a better quality glove, and price is not really an issue, only like $40 more. My only concern is break in time, as I currently only play once a week, twice as the most. How long would it take me to break in a Signature series? And, if I go with the Classic for the easier break in, how much am I really sacrificing in terms of quality? Thanks.
As a related note, Classic Series softball gloves has soft fabric inner finger liners.

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
BTW, Gloveworks' Pro Steerhide= 44 Classic; and Pro Kip = 44 Signature, right?

If you equate steerhide = steerhide, then a 44 Pro Classic would be closer to Taiwan-tanned steerhide Game Day leather from GW.
GW uses North American kip leather sourced from different tanneries than 44 Pro. It is closer to what you'd find on a Mizuno (Northern European Kip), but both are "kip" nonetheless.

QUESTION: Do you know why northern latitudes (North America, Northern Europe) have more desirable kip leather?

*disclaimer: I am the service provider for both companies and have experience with all models of both brands.

As a related note, Classic Series softball gloves has soft fabric inner finger liners.

Thank you. So, I keep hearing that a Signature Series is the equivalent of an A2000 or HOH, what about the Classic? I think I saw somebody comparing it to a Classic Pro Soft or Global Elite, do you guys think that's accurate?

If you equate steerhide = steerhide, then a 44 Pro Classic would be closer to Taiwan-tanned steerhide Game Day leather from GW.
GW uses North American kip leather sourced from different tanneries than 44 Pro. It is closer to what you'd find on a Mizuno (Northern European Kip), but both are "kip" nonetheless.

QUESTION: Do you know why northern latitudes (North America, Northern Europe) have more desirable kip leather?

*disclaimer: I am the service provider for both companies and have experience with all models of both brands.

Got it, so the Pro Steerhide from GW is like a midpoint between the less expensive Steerhide and the Kip. And no, do not know that one, would love to know!

Thank you for your input and expertise, after reading other threads, I think I am now leaning towards a GW Gameday Steer Hide. At that price point I think you can't beat it, however I'd still love to hear your opinion, what would you equate this to? Mizuno Classic Pro Soft or MVP Prime? I play only once a week, twice tops, so durability is not a major factor, but I do like my gloves to retain the shape (thumb and pinky flare, and pocket). Would love to hear your input.

mpk

Extra Hitter
A mizuno global elite is a nicer leather than the a 44 classic. Mizuno pro soft is closer although it's been 3-4 years since I've held one. I think the main difference might be the factor break in is more with the pro soft (of course, that's kinda it's thing).

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
The leather on the Game Day will be softer like a MVP Prime but the internals will be stiffer like a Classic Pro. Also, the liner will be made out of the shell leather, unlike almost any new Mizuno.

Thank you for your input and expertise, after reading other threads, I think I am now leaning towards a GW Gameday Steer Hide. At that price point I think you can't beat it, however I'd still love to hear your opinion, what would you equate this to? Mizuno Classic Pro Soft or MVP Prime? I play only once a week, twice tops, so durability is not a major factor, but I do like my gloves to retain the shape (thumb and pinky flare, and pocket). Would love to hear your input.
the

A mizuno global elite is a nicer leather than the a 44 classic. Mizuno pro soft is closer although it's been 3-4 years since I've held one. I think the main difference might be the factor break in is more with the pro soft (of course, that's kinda it's thing).

Thank you so much for your input!

The leather on the Game Day will be softer like a MVP Prime but the internals will be stiffer like a Classic Pro. Also, the liner will be made out of the shell leather, unlike almost any new Mizuno.

the

Awesome, thank you so much. One last question if you don't mind, does the leather color make a difference as to stiffness? I'm think of black and tan or wheat combo, in your experience, are any of those stiffer than the other? And if so, the stiffer leather should be on the palm, right? Similar question with the laces, are some colors better quality than others? I'm undecided between, black, red, or tan. Again, thank you so much.

Last edited:

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
Awesome, thank you so much. One last question if you don't mind, does the leather color make a difference as to stiffness? I'm think of black and tan or wheat combo, in your experience, are any of those stiffer than the other? And if so, the stiffer leather should be on the palm, right? Similar question with the laces, are some colors better quality than others? I'm undecided between, black, red, or tan. Again, thank you so much.
In my experience, the more natural or neutral the color, the better it holds up. As far as stiffness, color has an impact, but could be a variable as well. Gloveworks black and midnight tan will be stiff, and stiffer than wheat. Black or tan laces would be best.

In my experience, the more natural or neutral the color, the better it holds up. As far as stiffness, color has an impact, but could be a variable as well. Gloveworks black and midnight tan will be stiff, and stiffer than wheat. Black or tan laces would be best.

Thank you again, I'm thinking of a black back, wheat palm and web, and either red or black laces, will probably go with black given your recommendation.

drakesndrum

1st post!

I play in a work league, and just got my 44pro Signature Softball 12.5" H-web. Craftsmanship looks very nice, has a good feel, and is breaking in nicely. It's a bit stiffer than my Rawlings HoH Pro302 12.75". I play 3B and SS for what it's worth. The pocket is pretty deep and I don't see having any difficulties swallowing up ground balls. 44pro1.jpg 44pro2.jpg

Adam

davisrelacing

The Other Guy
1st post!

I play in a work league, and just got my 44pro Signature Softball 12.5" H-web. Craftsmanship looks very nice, has a good feel, and is breaking in nicely. It's a bit stiffer than my Rawlings HoH Pro302 12.75". I play 3B and SS for what it's worth. The pocket is pretty deep and I don't see having any difficulties swallowing up ground balls. View attachment 54149 View attachment 54150

Adam
Very pretty glove!

jkwoody22

League ball huer
Gorgeous color way, keep us updated as you break it in and how it works out for you, and welcome to the board

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
Get the Signature and I’d recommend the softball cut vs standard fielding cut. For the money you can’t go wrong if you’re playing and not just collecting.

vGyGG7.jpg

sleepin4matty

Management Material
friend of mine ordered a glove from 44 Pro. Below is the customizer "final mock" and then the actual glove....what would you guys do?
full

full

exccsracer

Scrooge McBase
I'd check the "order details" and see if there's anything they could've misunderstood. Then call customer service.

sleepin4matty

Management Material
I'd check the "order details" and see if there's anything they could've misunderstood. Then call customer service.
so he did that, they said that in order to add structure and strengthen that area where the lacing goes through they had to add the leather. He's now waiting to hear back (again) from quality control

Bow Commander

Ew, that is fugly. I’d send it back and demand a refund. The random leather is hideous and the welting was done by a child.

44 has a habit of posting very select gloves on their social media outlets, giving the appearance of a certain level of quality, but real world gloves they ship out aren’t nearly as well put together. My experience at least.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
so he did that, they said that in order to add structure and strengthen that area where the lacing goes through they had to add the leather.

I get that; I've seen mesh back HOH's where the mesh was fraying around the mid-finger lace holes. But goddamn 44, update your online builder to reflect what people are actually getting.

well at least they made sure everything lined up well

The staggering of the leather bothers me more than the fact that it's there. And that wavy-ass welting...

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
The staggering of the leather bothers me more than the fact that it's there. And that wavy-ass welting...
Leather?? That blueish/gray material on the shell back reminds me of the seat cover pattern on an old late 60's Impala my Dad had:D. If it had a Chevy Bowtie logo on the wrist, we just might be on to something!!

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Leather?? That blueish/gray material on the shell back reminds me of the seat cover pattern on an old late 60's Impala my Dad had:D. If it had a Chevy Bowtie logo on the wrist, we just might be on to something!!

I meant the reinforcing strips sewn on the back, they look like they were thrown on from across the room.

The "mesh" on the back looks like the upholstery on the booths in an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet. And not one of the good ones, one of the ****ty ones that tries to charge you extra because you left a half-eaten chicken wing on your plate.