Any Quick question on a play at second.

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
Call didn't make a difference really, so not too concerned about it but wondered about the call. I was coming into second on a ground ball to the 3B. Not being the most fleet of foot, it was going to be a close play at 2nd.

When I came into the bag, the SS (who was covering the bag for whatever reason, thought it should have been the 2B) was basically standing in front of the bag in relation to me, as in the wonderful text graphic I made below...

[]8 <--------

The squarish thing being the base, the 8 being him, and the line being the direction I was coming. In any event, he was physically in my line to the base. Because of this, I had to slow down to avoid contact. Would I have a legitimate beef with him being "in the baseline" since he was blocking my line to the bag? Wasn't sure if he had the right to stand wherever as long as he was touching the bag. The fact is if I would have slid I would have hurt him BAD, probably snapping his ankle trapping it between the bag and my big ass, and I didn't want to hurt someone playing freaking rec ball. Safest way was to just come in standing and go around him, but I ended up out because of it.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
In ASA, at least, you cannot block the bag without the ball. If you slowed down as a result of him being there, the umpire could (and should) call obstruction.

TwoStrokeTerror

You Know!
In ASA, at least, you cannot block the bag without the ball. If you slowed down as a result of him being there, the umpire could (and should) call obstruction.

I agree with this, sorry about first post thats useually what I hear when I post something looking for help.

BigBL87

29 oz, you say?
I agree with this, sorry about first post thats useually what I hear when I post something looking for help.

Haha, no problem. It's one of those things that it seemed like I should know, but it didn't get called so I figured maybe I was off on it.

Really wasn't a surprise, though. First inning out pitcher struck out looking on a pitch that was at least an 18 foot arc. On the way to the dugout, he asked if the ump was going to call an arc limit, to which the ump copped back with an attitude said he'd start calling his high. Our pitcher wasn't being a douche or anything, just wanted to know if he could go unlimited arc (guy's been pitching for 30+ years and LOVES unlimited). It was mostly downhill from there...

Lurker765

Addicted to Softballfans
Haha, no problem. It's one of those things that it seemed like I should know, but it didn't get called so I figured maybe I was off on it.

Really wasn't a surprise, though. First inning out pitcher struck out looking on a pitch that was at least an 18 foot arc. On the way to the dugout, he asked if the ump was going to call an arc limit, to which the ump copped back with an attitude said he'd start calling his high. Our pitcher wasn't being a douche or anything, just wanted to know if he could go unlimited arc (guy's been pitching for 30+ years and LOVES unlimited). It was mostly downhill from there...

in ASA a player cannot block a base without possession of the ball. They changed it from the old rules of being able to block it if the throw was on the way to now the fielder must have the ball before blocking the bag.

That said it is a rare ump that actually calls this. My pet peeve is a catcher standing on home plate if there is no play there (much less possession of the ball).

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
in ASA a player cannot block a base without possession of the ball. They changed it from the old rules of being able to block it if the throw was on the way
Not true

to now the fielder must have the ball before blocking the bag.

Not true

That said it is a rare ump that actually calls this. My pet peeve is a catcher standing on home plate if there is no play there (much less possession of the ball).

Slide

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
So are you saying the fielder can block the base path with a runner coming to the base without possession of the ball?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
So are you saying the fielder can block the base path with a runner coming to the base without possession of the ball?

That wasn't the statement. There is no rule forbidding a player from blocking the base or base line or base path. The rule IS that a defender cannot impede the runner.

The only reason I made the statement is because you do have players who complain about where a defender may be located. I have had players barely round 3B and stop and ***** that the catcher was standing on the 3B side of the plate. Stopping 60' away from a player is conscious decision, not obstruction.

Joker

That wasn't the statement. There is no rule forbidding a player from blocking the base or base line or base path. The rule IS that a defender cannot impede the runner.

The only reason I made the statement is because you do have players who complain about where a defender may be located. I have had players barely round 3B and stop and ***** that the catcher was standing on the 3B side of the plate. Stopping 60' away from a player is conscious decision, not obstruction.

so you're supposed to truck the girl who has no idea whats shes doing standing on the plate to get the call?

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?

I figured you were getting at something. :p

Lurker765

Addicted to Softballfans
in ASA a player cannot block a base without possession of the ball. They changed it from the old rules of being able to block it if the throw was on the way
Not true

True

You are wrong. Check the ASA rulebook, rules supplement rule #36.

I quote:

"36. OBSTRUCTION.
Obstruction is the act of a fielder:
A. Not in possession of the ball, or
B. Not in the act of fielding a batted ball,
which impedes the progress of a batter-runner or runner who is legally
running the bases.

If a defensive player is blocking the base or base path without the ball,
they are impeding the progress of the runner and this is obstruction.
In past years, coaches taught their players to block the base, catch
the ball and make the tag. Now defensive players must catch the ball,
block the base and then make the tag."

Like I said, most umpires do not follow this rule. You are also wrong about the 'slide' comment. A defensive player cannot block the path of the runner unless they have possession of the ball in ASA.

Lurker765

Addicted to Softballfans

Wrong. Read the ASA rulebook.

Definition of obstruction from the 2008 ASA rulebook:

"OBSTRUCTION: The act of a defensive team member:
A. Who hinders or impedes a batter from striking at or hitting a pitched ball.
B. A fielder, who impedes the progress of a runner or batter-runner who is legally
running the bases unless the fielder is:
1. in possession of the ball.
2. in the act of fielding a batted ball.
NOTE: Contact is not necessary to impede the progress of the batter-runner or
a runner."

Last edited:

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired

No, Irish is correct. A defensive player may be in the base path without the ball. However, if doing so then impedes the runner, THEN we have obstruction. But if the runner never slows down and never deviates, then they were never impeded.

If bases are loaded and the batter hits a ground ball to the pitcher, is it automatically obstruction when the catcher crosses between 3B and the plate to get in position to receive the throw? No.

pompetti

Softball Player

I don't think irishmafia needs to read the rulebook. Look at his previous statements and what you quoted.

Here's a situation, tell me what rules have been broken.

Batter hits the ball to the outfield, and runs to 1B and stops there. While he's running to 1B the second baseman sits on second base bag, the third baseman lies down on third and the catcher lies down on home plate. All 3 are "blocking the bag without the ball."

What's the call?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I don't think irishmafia needs to read the rulebook. Look at his previous statements and what you quoted.

Batter hits the ball to the outfield, and runs to 1B and stops there. While he's running to 1B the second baseman sits on second base bag, the third baseman lies down on third and the catcher lies down on home plate. All 3 are "blocking the bag without the ball."

What's the call?

Depends.

What color are their socks?

Lurker765

Addicted to Softballfans

What's the call?

What does this situation have to do with the question the original poster asked?

We will all agree that if the runner never gets close to a fielder then obstruction won't occur.

The question was what happens when a fielder is standing on the bag without the ball when the runner is trying to get through the bag.

Lurker765

Addicted to Softballfans
Ahh...I reread Irish's reply.

It appears he is correct in the sense that fielders may stand where they wish if there is no play or runner arriving at the bag. I read it in the context of the OP with a play at the base. I thought the words 'block a base' would imply that a runner is trying to access that base.

I have had many, many times where the catcher stands on the plate with no play and the runner comes running home and has to try and avoid the catcher. This leads to collisions or hard feelings and drives me crazy.

I do complain about where a defender stands if I am trying to run through the base. I don't complain where the third baseman is standing if I hit a single.

He is still completely incorrect about the 'slide' comment of a catcher standing on the plate without either the ball or even a throw coming. I have even seen runners called out for touching the catcher in these situations. Telling someone to slide in many of the pits around the plate is an injury waiting to happen and there is no excuse for it since the catcher should not even be around the plate if there is no chance of a play happening there.

Last edited:

buckster

Addicted to Softballfans
I have had many, many times where the catcher stands on the plate with no play and the runner comes running home and has to try and avoid the catcher.

As an umpire, when I see this I'll say in a firm voice, "Move, catch." If nothing happens, I'll go to "Outta the way, catch" with a little more volume. As the runner is bearing down I'll shout "Off the plate, catch!". Again, there is not free reign to plough someone under if they're standing on the plate but if the runner bumps the catcher on his/her way to the plate... maybe you'll move next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNbk84ABCXs No play, no reason for C to be on top of the plate there. Hence, no call.

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
As an umpire, when I see this I'll say in a firm voice, "Move, catch." If nothing happens, I'll go to "Outta the way, catch" with a little more volume. As the runner is bearing down I'll shout "Off the plate, catch!". Again, there is not free reign to plough someone under if they're standing on the plate but if the runner bumps the catcher on his/her way to the plate... maybe you'll move next time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNbk84ABCXs No play, no reason for C to be on top of the plate there. Hence, no call.

That, and the YouTube video is a baseball game where even if the catcher has the ball you can drop a shoulder on him Pete Rose style.