Quiet in here lately....

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Distance running sucks though!!! LOL.

Other cardio options:

Step-ups for time (with weighted vest if need more resistance)
Med Ball slams
Sled Push/Pull
KB Swings
Sprints

Distance running is good for a meditative type of workout though, and it's made my knees feel better than anything else. I wouldn't do a 10K program and not worry about the speed to lose weight though. I ran for months and lost nothing. If you're running slowly and taking walk breaks, it's not that great for weight loss. It did make me feel way better though. Don't increase your distance too fast if you don't run much, and I'd always recommend running outside over a treadmill if you can take the weather. It seems to go way faster.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well that's kind of what I was asking. If there was anything else that I can add that would be beneficial, aside from something requiring a barbell. I know you guys don't seem to think much of the dumbbells, but they've worked well for me in the past and it's gotta be better than my current regimen which consists of basically nothing.

No matter what you do, stretch and foam roll. They've helped my back more than anything. I only had a bulging disc, but still. I always stretch my hamstrings before I go to bed at night, and have had no pain since I started doing this.

TERMINATOR

Addicted to Softballfans
What's this?

http://exrx.net/WeightTraining/Weightlifting/RussianSquatProgramGenerator.html

This is the one I'm doing. There a some other slight variations of it out there. Search it online, there are really good articles about it.

I did this about 1 1/2 years ago and gained around 30 lbs. in 6 weeks. Hoping for similar results again.

I am doing other things besides the squatting. But squats are the priority, and care should be given about other leg, low back work.

Edit:

REALLY want to try this one sometime:

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-add-100-pounds-to-your-squat-smolov/

Last edited:

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
No matter what you do, stretch and foam roll. They've helped my back more than anything. I only had a bulging disc, but still. I always stretch my hamstrings before I go to bed at night, and have had no pain since I started doing this.

What if he's already loose?

Drumbum37

Addicted to Softballfans
Oh man, I haven't been in this section for ever! My excuses for not working out since forever ago include a new job working close to 40 hrs a week and 3 nights of grad school classes. I only have 1 night of class in the spring then I'm done so I'll have some more time. I need to get my rear in gear in general but I really need shoulder work. After having my right shoulder freeze up last fall it's pretty weak. Still have some discomfort with some movements and I know I'll be in trouble come next season if I don't do anything. I've got a good handle on the PT exercises I did plus I'm thinking Thrower's 10 will be a good thing to pick up. I also need/want to work on my cardio. Did a VO2 max test at work and it was awful like I had expected lol. Got to the "poor" category for my age :( I've done some TM work but I think doing the higher intensity weights will be more interesting to do.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Close to 40 hours and grad school 3 nights a week? That still leaves 4 days/nights to workout. :)

I totally feel you though about grad school. I can't wait to get done!!!! Just wish I was working 40 hour weeks.....

Hiltz

Built for comfort

TERMINATOR

Addicted to Softballfans
Smolov is an absolutely cold-hearted ***** of a program. If you attempt it, be prepared to pretty much drop everything else so you can give it 100% of your focus.

I ran Smolov Jr. for bench a few years ago when I hurt my back and couldn't squat/deadlift. By the end, I was doing 10 triples with my previous 3 rep max.

Yeah, that's why I haven't attempted it yet. Maybe sometime this year, assuming I am healthy enough for it. I want to say I at least tried it.

Mudfrog

Addicted to Softballfans

I do stretches every night, I don't foam roll, but I do use the traction table at the chiropractor from time to time. It looks to do the same thing.

wcoastsoftball

A book I suggest is Ready to Run by Kelly Starrett. It is a cheaper version of his Supple Leopard, better layout and not just for runners. Great info in there.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
A book I suggest is Ready to Run by Kelly Starrett. It is a cheaper version of his Supple Leopard, better layout and not just for runners. Great info in there.

I haven't seen that book, but I own Supple Leopard and I agree that the info and layout can be overwhelming.