Quirkiest Field you have Played on?

lakeyale13

Manager
The field I play regularly is an odd duck. It is 295' all the way around but has a fence that is 20' tall that goes all the way around. Thus, you can hit a line drive that would be a 325' home run on a normal field that now turns into a double, or you can hit a 296' pop up that becomes a home run. So what's yours?

Redsfan

Our main league back in the day played at a park where the 2 diamonds shared an outfield. No fences. It was fine until the big hitters came up to bat and you had to be standing right beside the other diamonds outfielders. Also you had to dodge the light poles. Made for some interesting LC/RC moves.

lakeyale13

Manager
Our main league back in the day played at a park where the 2 diamonds shared an outfield. No fences. It was fine until the big hitters came up to bat and you had to be standing right beside the other diamonds outfielders. Also you had to dodge the light poles. Made for some interesting LC/RC moves.

That is CRAZY! LOL. Can't imagine playing on something like that.

Hagen49

There are fields in Silverthorne Colorado at the base of the Dillon Dam. There are no fences in the outfield of the 2 fields (the 2 facing the dam) so you can mash a ball out to the dam if you really smack the ball. It's also at like 9000 feet elevation so.

mreedjr14

My weeknight league field here in NJ is 300 feet to the poles, 320 to straight left and straight right, then 270 to dead center.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Municipally-owned field that shares a space with a midget baseball field and a soccer field. The road to get to the baseball field goes between the LF fence of the softball field and a steep embankment. So the softball fence had to be cut way short, ie. 230', in LF. Anything hit well to LF goes over some trees and down the embankment and into someone's yard. And buddy has a pair of 100+ lb Rottweilers in an enclosed area with about a 3' high fence that they can easily jump over. The homeowner is pretty pissed off that the municipality built a small field next to his house so he stockpiles HR balls and gives them to his dogs for chew toys.

defos

Back in high school I once played on a field with no fences and the track cut through LC and center. Outfielders had to deal with the track, light poles, and the football goalposts. The home team's star player hit an "inside the park" homerun that crossed the track in LC, went across most of the football field, and stopped near the track on far side of the football field. It was on the ground the entire time. As I recall, the outfielders nearly ran into the goalposts and light poles or they would have cut it off.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
^^^ We have a similar field but we don't play on it. It has a fence but there's a running track that cuts through the outfield like your field. When there's a track and field event going on, they open 2 big sliding gates, one down the LF foul line and one in RC to complete the oval.

TRaj2327

There is a field here that is lined with a bridge along the 3B line that makes for some weird echoes, train tracks in LF beyond the 295' fence, and then RC goes from about 305' to 270' down the RF line with a 25-30' tall warehouse just beyond it. Balls end up on the warehouse all the time and then roll off the side. It's actually a pretty cool spot to play. Somewhat reminds you of pickup ball as a kid. A 375' shot will clear a train on the first track with ease. Get close to 400' and you can clear the second track.

MaStEr IrOc

One field we play on has an elementary school playground in left field. Fly ball in it is a home run, ground ball is a ground rule double. Meanwhile, right field has no fence whatsoever, and connects to another field. a fly ball and rolling ball is live, unless the umpire calls it otherwise.

We played our championship game there and the umpire would not call anything to right a home run, regardless if it went further than a ball in left, to the playground. With our 1 up rule, that was absolutely infuriating. Just had to keep running in right center all the way to BFE

thegymteacher

Addicted to Softballfans
I grew up out in the country and we took what we could get. My dad baseball on a field that had a door in the backstop. The catcher could go through the door to catch a foul pop up that was on the other side of the fence. I played on a field that had a creek that ran from deep centerfield to right field. Everything was in play. I played little league on a field that had a steep hill in left field starting at about 150 feet. If the grass was mowed, the ball would roll back down. If the grass was long, you had to climb the hill to get the ball. Similar little league field that had a steep ditch behind left field. Ground rules were if the ball went over the ditch in the air it was a homer, if the ball rolled into the ditch it was a live ball. A couple baseball fields where the backstop was so far back that on a passed ball you could easily get 2 bases without a throw. Another field had a backstop that was made out of some cheap wire mesh. It was about 50/50 if a foul ball was going to go straight through the backstop. Another field any foul ball that went in between home and third was going in the Mississippi River. One field had 1st and 3rd base in foul territory. Claimed they have always done it like that. Field that had homeruns going into a corn field never to be seen again. Dog park behind outfield fence. Dogs would pick up home run balls or balls would land in poop. Field by the waste water treatment facility that smelled like crap. No fences and playgrounds and picnic areas at about 300 feet.

FLEET

bowling ball nut swanga
legend has it there's a field in new york where dudes wear leopard print bodysuits and high heels

milesej05

The Rookie
Gotta make sure the outfielders know where the field goal uprights are at all times

hRhxPH0h.jpg

milesej05

The Rookie
That’s not a real thing...wtf!?

Uprights in the middle of RF and LF! That’s ridiculous.

It's the middle school football field in the outfield. During the fall, they add bleachers towards the infield side of the field for the visitors team. It's crazy and the better teams that play there hit middle a LOT since that's the shortest part of the field.

r8dr_rider

Buddy does Turkey bowl sand lot games on a little league field. LF Fence is like 200” and bushes everyone hits homers but we lose the balls every time.

hitsone

Wow, I do not have anything like the ones above, like the suicide goal post but we do have power lines running across 2 side by side fields with no fences along the outside ditch. So we have bat studs just trying to go over the power lines instead of playing for the team and too often out fielders endingup with the frogs in the ditch (280 ish). I've never seen anyone dome the lines, tho it is legend.

ming01

DMVWinning
Used to be a fun camping tournament in middle of nowhere ND. Trees overhung the CF/RF fences. Left was deep/baseball distance. Pitchers mound was a literal baseball mound. There was usually a pond along the fence in RF. Old style bleachers and backstop. Amazing concessions with a cafe.

upload_2019-5-13_16-48-41.png

MPT23

Putting on the foil
In Powers, Oregon. Theres this kinda beat up field in a junk yard. Fences are about 290' with some housing about 30' feet beyond LC. Set up is as janky, but they hold one hell of a 4th of July tournament.

BigWhiffa

Underwear Researcher
i learned to go oppo by playing on a field that was 280 all around except the right field foul pole was 235...240ish. it followed a ravine to where it met back up with the 280' pretty symmetrical fence. this league, the first 3 people on your team to hit hr's could hit them all game. i could tail what would normally be foul balls all day long into HR's. lots of people tried it. lots of people could not do it.