Rawlings color most similar to Horween tan

logancowart_

Which Rawlings custom leather color would y’all say is most similar to the traditional Horween tan in terms of durability, feel.

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
Someone said it here before, when there’s a Horween and a non-Horween in the same glove model where there’s a choice.....always take the Horween! Pretty smart forum member here who stated that!

To try and answer your question, my new Tan Jtan NP6 custom with the firm option (that’s the kicker) is the closest to some of the newer exclusive Horween offerings although they’re a little lighter in color.

Now my older Morton’s dry Horween gloves, forget it, there’s nothing out there right now that’s similar!

That new custom Tan Jtan with the same shell leather liner is fantastic leather!! The firm break-in option is a must!

beeblebobble

Starting Player
Nothing feels as good as horween glove leather and nothing is as durable as horween glove leather. You basically have 3 choices leather wise on the HoH customizer. Japanese tanned leather, this is all the colored leathers. Timberglaze and Sandlot which are pull up leathers. No more oil tanned horween, no more oxblood, primo sherry or other pull up flavors. What's more durable of the 3? I don't know, I'm not a fan of pull up leathers, and I think J-tan sucks.

I use a PP custom and performance wise its the same as J tan, you catch enough balls, field enough grounders, sweat enough in it, the high contact spots will wear though the leather, the binding and the palm liner will crack and split. They just don't hold up compared to horween glove leather. Try and find a horween glove in a pattern you like. Preferably with a horween palm liner. Good Luck!

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
and I think J-tan sucks.
I'm not quite at that point, but I absolutely agree with you that Horween glove leather is superior in just about every way, especially durability! But one of my girls I put into a DM Pro1000 with the Horween liner.....the liner has developed several deep cracks which really shocked me!

I started the break-in for her and treated the liner with Obenauf's before I gave her the glove back, it's already out of warranty now. I'd say this glove gets twice the use if not more than anyone in here uses a glove.....travel ball, school ball, and pitching lessons, it gets very heavy use! Still the cracks really shocked me! The liner has been treated with Obenauf's twice that I know of?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
I'm not quite at that point, but I absolutely agree with you that Horween glove leather is superior in just about every way, especially durability! But one of my girls I put into a DM Pro1000 with the Horween liner.....the liner has developed several deep cracks which really shocked me!

I started the break-in for her and treated the liner with Obenauf's before I gave her the glove back, it's already out of warranty now. I'd say this glove gets twice the use if not more than anyone in here uses a glove.....travel ball, school ball, and pitching lessons, it gets very heavy use! Still the cracks really shocked me! The liner has been treated with Obenauf's twice that I know of?
Sweat is a killer. Not even Horween can hold up to it. Obenauf's is my favored preventive. Vaseline might work better (lasts longer), but I prefer the smell of Obenauf's.

beeblebobble

Starting Player

She uses her glove like a pro, it doesn't shock me the horween has the cracking, eventually all leather has its limits, its just way more resiliant than the Deer Tanned Cowhide or Pittards. I'm sure the retail PRO206-6 camel with the DTC got a lot worse a lot quicker under the same use. And yeah its a bit extreme to say Jtan sucks, plenty of people use it and love it. Its just all relative to using a horween leather glove.

Last edited:

ANNASDAD

The Veteran
She uses her glove like a pro, it doesn't shock me the horween has the cracking, eventually all leather has its limits, its just way more resiliant than the Deer Tanned Cowhide or Pittards. I'm sure the retail PRO206-6 camel with the DTC got a lot worse a lot quicker under the same use. And yeah its a bit extreme to say Jtan sucks, plenty of people use it and love it. Its just all relative to using a horween leather glove.
This girl must have really acidic sweat, Anna’s old retail Pro206-6CB has seen way more use than this girls Horween Pro1000 and her liner is in much better shape!

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
This girl must have really acidic sweat, Anna’s old retail Pro206-6CB has seen way more use than this girls Horween Pro1000 and her liner is in much better shape!
Its the salt content (AFAIK). The more salt gets in the leather, the more moisture the leather holds and the more bacteria can eat at the leather. I have relaced 20 year old gloves from Minnesota with no interior damage and couple from central Florida or Georgia where the lining is shot in 3 years. I don't doubt that body chemistry matters too, but the onlt thing you can do in a hot/humid climate is clean the lining every month and refresh the Obenauf's every three months.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
I have a 10ish year old A2000 with interior leather that looks as good as a new glove. A buddy of mine completely destroys the liners in his gloves every 2-3 years and he can turn white batting gloves completely black in under a month. Body chemistry definitely plays a part.

I used to play guitar a lot and I'd get a few months out of a set of strings while other guys would have red, flaky rust on theirs within a week.

MaverickAH

Its the salt content (AFAIK). The more salt gets in the leather, the more moisture the leather holds and the more bacteria can eat at the leather. I have relaced 20 year old gloves from Minnesota with no interior damage and couple from central Florida or Georgia where the lining is shot in 3 years. I don't doubt that body chemistry matters too, but the onlt thing you can do in a hot/humid climate is clean the lining every month and refresh the Obenauf's every three months.

There are other things you can do as well like not putting your glove up wet. When you put your glove up wet in an equipment bag or the trunk of a car or any other enclosed space with high humidity, you're actively participating in shortening your glove's life. Whenever my glove got wet or saturated with sweat, I would always attach it to a strap on the outside of my bag to air dry. if you have to put in inside your bag, at least put it into a compartment that is vented. Get your glove dried as quickly as possible. The longer you let it stew in its own juices, the less life you'll get out of it.