Rawlings Webs

So many choices on the web list!!!

The pro H has long been the gold standard for outfielders... but damn if I don't like the way that Y Post looks. Good objective information has been hard to come by on the Y post, and what I do have is thanks to none other than the man himself Rous! The Y post attaches to the glove higher than the H web, and with 2 more holes. Does 16 points of contact make it significantly more rigid than 14..? Maybe. Maybe not.

It looks to me to be just a hybrid I web, developed so there would be more structure and rigidity at the end to counter the longer length of the glove.

My question is, ultimately, how does this affect pocket depth and overall performance assuming that the two webs (H and Y) are of equal width.

I do have someone checking the actual widths on them at the factory for comparison which will be forthcoming next week at some point.

Real world usage? I wanted a 12.5 glove strictly for utility. I have always primarily played in the infield, specifically at SS, but I have found myself in the outfield when asked.

I just want to make the best choice ladies and gents. I appreciate your input.

Discuss... Lord have mercy and grace on my soul.

Last edited:

Wally Gator

Starting Player
When a pro Y web showed up on Rawlingsgear, I read as much as I could about it and every comment pointed to a narrower pocket. Sounded like it would be the same as a 435/Markakis and that ended it for me. Local shop had a 435 in navy, which I like, but not the pattern.

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Random web thoughts.

As for Rawlings, the dual hinge will be the widest, followed by the basket. Then the Pro-H and Basket connector are next. The single post and mod trap are narrowest.

If you want a glove that stays as stiff as possible, look to a more solid web. Dual hinge, basket and basket connector as well as the two piece. Think of a box without a top that you want to be fairly solid. Just put a piece of tape connecting two sides with a couple running across and it won't add much structure, but 20 pieces of tape running in every direction and it will be stiffer.

If you want a glove to play wider, get a wider web. To get it to play substantially deeper, and you need to add a little length too. For a web swap, if you take out a 4.5" wide H-web and put in a 5" web, add 1/4" to the length so that it bows out in both directions. This is especially true with a mod trap. You can loosen the laces, but it will not play nearly as deep as it could as the top bar is anchored to the top of the index finger and thumb. To get a mod trap to play deeper, you need to make that post longer, but 1/4" will go a long way. An extra 1/2" might be ridiculous.

fuzzai

Starting Player
Sir Salty,

Check my 504 in my signature for some pics.
I also had a 303 H web, to which i changed the web on it...I can tell you that the Y web on my 504, is .25" wider to almost .5" wider, then the H Web removed from a 303.

The top of my Y web, measures 4.75"...Same as mid...bottom is about 4.25 at the lace on each side.

It took a bit to make it deep, just because of the amount of leather in the Y its self. but not that long...i love it, its great, and 100% happy i went Y web (i like the rawlings logo on it)..

I would not hesitate to order another Y web.

Sir Salty,

Check my 504 in my signature for some pics.
I also had a 303 H web, to which i changed the web on it...I can tell you that the Y web on my 504, is .25" wider to almost .5" wider, then the H Web removed from a 303.

The top of my Y web, measures 4.75"...Same as mid...bottom is about 4.25 at the lace on each side.

It took a bit to make it deep, just because of the amount of leather in the Y its self. but not that long...i love it, its great, and 100% happy i went Y web (i like the rawlings logo on it)..

I would not hesitate to order another Y web.

Right on man! Beautiful glove there BTW!!!

Like that 1781! When you going to sell that to me?!?

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
Just more Rawlings info. The H on my 302 is 4.75" wide at the top bar and 4 5/8" at the middle. I also have a basket connector off a 504 and it is 4.75" at both the top and across the middle of the web. I had a 504 with a dual hinge and it was 5.25" wide across the widest point, but it bowed out quite a bit. The 504 web is 5/8" shorter than the 302 web, so they must have different dyes for the Y on each glove.

thanks,

and unfortunately, with that avatar, NEVER! :p

JSggEjn_zpsbkpmoklq.jpg

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
My pitcher got Salty's avatar pic on 18"x24" canvas for his living room... although, I gotta say I am embarrassed about the "USA, USA, USA" chants from the stands.

fuzzai

Starting Player
My pitcher got Salty's avatar pic on 18"x24" canvas for his living room... although, I gotta say I am embarrassed about the "USA, USA, USA" chants from the stands.

LOL nice, its all good tho..

Rangers are using his bat flip to ignore the 3 errors in the inning...Its ok, we understand, and we apologize for the errors :p

But back to your original post, someone else here, Sully, i think it was got a black Y web. I haven't seen him post in a while.
I personally think there's not much difference between both, mine has deepened pretty good but not too much to where i can't get the ball out of the glove playing infield.

Cheers,

Rous

Addicted to Softballfans
The second most painful inning in Rangers history. I can't even talk about the first.

It amazes me just how little information is to be found on the Y Post. I remember you saying that it was new Jeff, but damn. I'm going to have to get one just so I can do a review on it and/or some youtube videos.

I sitting here watching the Reds game... they went from an early 5-0 lead, to the Nationals catching up in the top of the 4th, to now losing 5-10... Jesus H. Christ in heaven.

LOL nice, its all good tho..

Rangers are using his bat flip to ignore the 3 errors in the inning...Its ok, we understand, and we apologize for the errors :p

But back to your original post, someone else here, Sully, i think it was got a black Y web. I haven't seen him post in a while.
I personally think there's not much difference between both, mine has deepened pretty good but not too much to where i can't get the ball out of the glove playing infield.

Cheers,

oGzEfoq_zpsodsowsxz.jpg

fuzzai

Starting Player
It amazes me just how little information is to be found on the Y Post. I remember you saying that it was new Jeff, but damn. I'm going to have to get one just so I can do a review on it and/or some youtube videos.

I sitting here watching the Reds game... they went from an early 5-0 lead, to the Nationals catching up in the top of the 4th, to now losing 5-10... Jesus H. Christ in heaven.

Ive often thought of doing youtube videos, as many MANY of them are from 16 year old or younger brats going on about their day then the glove then their life, then the glove, then complaining about instagram lol

Dude, do it, you want the Y web, its so nice looking ;)

Felks32

Addicted to Softballfans
Every time I see the Y web it makes me think of the YP66...I owned one of the new grey/blue ones for about a week and although I loved the size of the handstall, the glove was just too big for softball IF use, compared to say a 303/302 it just felt bigger.

I like the single post web too...I'm an h-web guy but I could get used to it...after all the much loved DCT is a single post.

Ive often thought of doing youtube videos, as many MANY of them are from 16 year old or younger brats going on about their day then the glove then their life, then the glove, then complaining about instagram lol

Dude, do it, you want the Y web, its so nice looking ;)

I know right!?! Hell, most of them are even younger than that, sitting on a filthy bedroom floor showing off multiple $300+ gloves and complaining how their mommy wouldn't buy them another.

Just another day in 'Murica.

I have really enjoyed Dirty's videos, but he kinda fell off the planet. Glove Room is another, and he makes very good videos... but no Y post.

5 1/2 weeks and counting.

Swinging Bunt

Addicted to Softballfans
I can check later but I'm pretty sure the H-web on the 504 is wider (but obviously shorter) than the 303 H-web.

Straight from Rawlings Ladies and Gentlemen:

I did hear back about the web. Here is the information;

The Pro H Web and the Y Post Web have the same function. Based on a 504 pattern, they have the same height from top to base web however, the top and horizontal bar of the Pro H Web is wider by 5mm than on a Y Post Web. As for the base of a Pro H web, the width is narrower by 8mm and the height is smaller by 6mm than on a Y Post. These two webs are both durable based on their design, however the Pro H Web is more popular since more players are choosing this web as their preference.

Basically if you are wanting a more narrow pocket you should go with the Y post. If you would like a wider pocket you should go with the Pro H.

That pretty much lays it out there folks.