Any re-entry rule

hurdler52

Addicted to Softballfans
The player in question comes back into the game, he is given an intentional walk and then the opposing team notifies the ump that the manager nor the player told the ump of the re-entry. The player was called out, but stayed in the game. To me he becomes an illegal player and should have been ejected also. Is this the right call?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
The player in question comes back into the game, he is given an intentional walk and then the opposing team notifies the ump that the manager nor the player told the ump of the re-entry. The player was called out, but stayed in the game. To me he becomes an illegal player and should have been ejected also. Is this the right call?

Again, which association? ASA? NSA? USSSA?

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

This is considered an Illegal Player which calls for that player to be DQd and replaced by a legal substitute. I think the umpire confused this with an Illegal Substitute

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
Did this player have a re-entry left and did he re-enter in his proper position in the batting order? If the answer to either one of those questions is "no", then he would be an Illegal Player.

But if he had a re-entry and entered in his proper spot in the order, isn't he treated as an Unreported Substitute? When an Unreported Sub has completed his at-bat, and is discovered before the next pitch, he is called out and now officially in the game- exactly the penalty that this umpire seems to have applied.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Did this player have a re-entry left and did he re-enter in his proper position in the batting order? If the answer to either one of those questions is "no", then he would be an Illegal Player.

But if he had a re-entry and entered in his proper spot in the order, isn't he treated as an Unreported Substitute? When an Unreported Sub has completed his at-bat, and is discovered before the next pitch, he is called out and now officially in the game- exactly the penalty that this umpire seems to have applied.

No, there was no change to the reentry/illegal player violations when they adjusted the unreported substitute effect.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
This is considered an Illegal Player which calls for that player to be DQd and replaced by a legal substitute. I think the umpire confused this with an Illegal Substitute

I don't see how this could be anything other than 4-6-C-3 (ie., BretMan's response).

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
No, there was no change to the reentry/illegal player violations when they adjusted the unreported substitute effect.

I'm not seeing anything in this scenario that leads me to believe this was either an Illegal Re-Entry or an Illegal Player. :confused:

Chubby_43

But correct me if I am wrong you only have to report in when your batting.. You can go out to play D without reporting in..

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
But correct me if I am wrong you only have to report in when your batting.. You can go out to play D without reporting in..

Consider yourself corrected. Yes, you are wrong. :)

Anytime you are "in the game," whether it's on offense or defense, you MUST report in.

I don't know why players think that there's a difference. There is none. You're either in the game, or you aren't. And when your status in the game changes, you must report it.

BretMan

Addicted to Softballfans
I don't know why players think that there's a difference...

Perhaps from playing in so many local leagues where the substitution rules are so lax that they're never enforced. Or maybe from all the leagues that use the "continuous batting order" (bat the entire roster) and allow free substitution in the field.

oppo

Coach
Perhaps from playing in so many local leagues where the substitution rules are so lax that they're never enforced. Or maybe from all the leagues that use the "continuous batting order" (bat the entire roster) and allow free substitution in the field.

There is a lot of truth to this.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
Consider yourself corrected. Yes, you are wrong. :)

Anytime you are "in the game," whether it's on offense or defense, you MUST report in.

I don't know why players think that there's a difference. There is none. You're either in the game, or you aren't. And when your status in the game changes, you must report it.

And if it is a shorthanded situation, if an available sub does not report immediatedly, they are no long eligible to play that game.:D