Rotator Cuff

This thread freaks me out but is exactly what I needed to read. I pitched a lot of innings in high school and played a lot of 3rd and SS coming out of HS into softball. I moved to first base 4 years ago because I was having SEVERE shoulder pain. I cannot even play catch before games now. I tried throwing someone out from 1st to 3rd last week and the ball barely made it to the pitchers mound and I was in tears. I have broken bones, sprained my ankles multiple times and had a couple teeth knocked out but this is by far the worst pain I have ever encountered. I am assuming a trip to the Dr is in my near future.

shifletd

Addicted to Softballfans
I'd say you've almost certainly got something torn in there, labrum, rotator curff, etc. May have some bone spurs too. Doc, MRI, surgery. Good luck in getting your diagnosis, hope it's not as bad as it sounds. In any case, it'll probably be expensive to find out :(

dychen

Phoenix SuperDraft
This thread freaks me out but is exactly what I needed to read. I pitched a lot of innings in high school and played a lot of 3rd and SS coming out of HS into softball. I moved to first base 4 years ago because I was having SEVERE shoulder pain. I cannot even play catch before games now. I tried throwing someone out from 1st to 3rd last week and the ball barely made it to the pitchers mound and I was in tears. I have broken bones, sprained my ankles multiple times and had a couple teeth knocked out but this is by far the worst pain I have ever encountered. I am assuming a trip to the Dr is in my near future.

I'm on week 4 of PT now and have movement to the front but barely to the side and almost nothing to the rear. The worst part is the 6 weeks in the sling has left me with basically no strength in the right arm. I am doing a 3lb ball right now and my arm trembles to lift it. Doc said flexibility then strength, I will not be back to normal strength for at least a year is his guess. I would definitely go and get yours checked, just to get it off your mind. If you can avoid surgery by getting in PT sooner it's worth it. Don't wait like me till the arm is destroyed and I was left with no other option.