Rowans Log

Rowandj

Addicted to Softballfans
Well, with my first controversial thread out of the way I guess I'll start a log to track my progress as well as get some help and pointers from other meatheads.

Today is Shoulders/Delts --> Gym time in T-Minus 1 hour :cool:

Current weight 210
Height 6'3

Last edited:

Rowandj

Addicted to Softballfans
Shoulders/Delts

Reverse DB Fly
4x15 15lbs

Smith Machine Shoulder Press
2x20 135lbs <--w/u
2x10 225lbs
2x6 275lbs

Behind the Head Smith Press
3x12 135lbs

DB Lat Raise
1x15 30lbs
2x12 45lbs ---> 1x15 20lbs dropset

Machine Shoulder Press (1Arm)
Really dont know the weight for this, was 14 plates x 12 for 4 sets.

Face Pulls (on seated row w/ lat pull down bar)
4x15 12 plates

Front Raises
3x10 40 lbs ----> last set drop set of 20lbs for 10 reps

Cable Reverse Fly (On knees)
3x12 50lbs

DB Shrugs (2 second hold)
4x12 70lbs

45lb Plate Alt Shrug
1 arm 5/Other arm 5/ 20 together x3
I usually end with a 7 set 10 rep movement with low weight, 30 second break in between. Today I did seated lat raise/front raise with 15lb DB's.

Finished the day with some Ab work, overall a good day for all the ****ty food I ate over the weekend.

Dirt27

Cage Bomb Hero
Well, with my first controversial thread out of the way I guess I'll start a log to track my progress as well as get some help and pointers from other meatheads.

Today is Shoulders/Delts --> Gym time in T-Minus 1 hour :cool:

Atta boy Rowan! Not so much controversial, as much as it caused an uproar!

Rowandj

Addicted to Softballfans
Legs

Back Squats
2x20 135lbs
2x12 225lbs
2x8 315 --> 1x8 225lbs --> 1x15 135lbs

Stationary DB Lunges SS w/ stationary calf raises
4x10 60lbs (each leg)

Leg Extensions SS w/ standing Leg Curl
1x20 45 lb -- 25lb x 12 x 4
2x15 90 lb
1x12 135 lb ---> 1x12 90lb ---> 1x12 1 leg at a time, then both (no weight)

Donkey Calf Raises
4x15 225lbs

Leg Press SS w/Calf Raises
1x15 6 plates -- Same sets for calfs
2x12 8 plates

Laying Leg Curl
3x8 140lbs

SLDL
2x20 135lbs
2x10 225
1x8 315 --> 225x5 --> 135x10

ABS AND DONE

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
IMO You're doing WAY too much. I counted roughly 550 reps for your shoulder workout, 486 reps for legs, then 292 on chest. All in a period of three days and that's not counting the ab training that you did. Most the shoulder day stuff can be eliminated since you're training those muscles on chest and back day.

grubd

Banned User
IMO You're doing WAY too much. I counted roughly 550 reps for your shoulder workout, 486 reps for legs, then 292 on chest. All in a period of three days and that's not counting the ab training that you did. Most the shoulder day stuff can be eliminated since you're training those muscles on chest and back day.

Right, there is a point where you get no more benefit from training that muscle. Over training can delay your growth and lead to injuries. I follow this basic chart, not as a bible but as a good reference point. Sometimes I do a bit more or less but always keep it back of mind to keep from overdoing it:

Chest: 60-120 reps per week.
Back: 60-120 reps per week.
Quadriceps: 60-120 reps per week.
Hamstrings: 60-120 reps per week.
Shoulders: 30-60 reps per week.
Biceps: 30-60 reps per week.
Triceps: 30-60 reps per week.
Calves: 30-60 reps per week.
Abs: 30-60 reps per week.

Rowandj

Addicted to Softballfans

Thanks for the advice. However this is how I've trained for the past 3 years, no injuries and have went from 188-220 in the process. Eeryones body is different and I like the mass amount of volume.

Rowandj

Addicted to Softballfans
Right, there is a point where you get no more benefit from training that muscle. Over training can delay your growth and lead to injuries. I follow this basic chart, not as a bible but as a good reference point. Sometimes I do a bit more or less but always keep it back of mind to keep from overdoing it:

Chest: 60-120 reps per week.
Back: 60-120 reps per week.
Quadriceps: 60-120 reps per week.
Hamstrings: 60-120 reps per week.
Shoulders: 30-60 reps per week.
Biceps: 30-60 reps per week.
Triceps: 30-60 reps per week.
Calves: 30-60 reps per week.
Abs: 30-60 reps per week.

No way I'd be able to follow this. I mentally would feel like I did nothing.

wcoastsoftball

More than likely would have seen better results with a lower rep scheme, not sure on you overall goals, but either way, Thibaudeau-Waterbury-Wendler and the like all have programs based around 24-40 reps. There is no way you are using optimal weights for any goal with that many reps in a workout. Recovery is where gains are made, no way the body can recover with this volume.

tap2284

Watching baseball somewhere
Thanks for the advice. However this is how I've trained for the past 3 years, no injuries and have went from 188-220 in the process. Eeryones body is different and I like the mass amount of volume.

I understand your feeling about not feeling like you did anything in the gym with less volume...

I agree with the others though that you might see more gains if you do less. If you have been training this way for 3 years and have gone from 188 to 220, maybe a change would be good.

Could probably see those gains in a lot shorter time period.

Rowandj

Addicted to Softballfans
More than likely would have seen better results with a lower rep scheme, not sure on you overall goals, but either way, Thibaudeau-Waterbury-Wendler and the like all have programs based around 24-40 reps. There is no way you are using optimal weights for any goal with that many reps in a workout. Recovery is where gains are made, no way the body can recover with this volume.

How is there no way? How have I done it for 3 years with no injury an continuous gains? I also trained my friend this way on an 8 week plan leading up to the Arnold and he won the amateur bench and deadlift competition for his weight (220). I could probably drop it a bit, it's just how I train and I see changes daily. My overall lifts are high for my weight and height while keeping my bf% below 10.

Fro Joe

Snowden is a hero.
You said in the opening post that you're 210 lbs. and 6'3''.

How is there no way? How have I done it for 3 years with no injury an continuous gains? I also trained my friend this way on an 8 week plan leading up to the Arnold and he won the amateur bench and deadlift competition for his weight (220). I could probably drop it a bit, it's just how I train and I see changes daily. My overall lifts are high for my weight and height while keeping my bf% below 10.

I'm just taking a wild guess here, but I'm going to say that you're in your early twenties based on your posts. Overuse injuries take years to set in. Also adding 22 lbs.(188-210) is not that hard over 3 years given your age. Your body will never produce more testosterone and GH than it does now. Even a crappy program will produce results due to this if you have enough calories.

Also 210 lbs. spread out over a 6'3'' frame isn't the mass monster that you make yourself out to be. I don't even lift for mass and I'm 213 lbs. at 5'10'' as of this afternoon.

Rowandj

Addicted to Softballfans
You said in the opening post that you're 210 lbs. and 6'3''.

I'm just taking a wild guess here, but I'm going to say that you're in your early twenties based on your posts. Overuse injuries take years to set in. Also adding 22 lbs.(188-210) is not that hard over 3 years given your age. Your body will never produce more testosterone and GH than it does now. Even a crappy program will produce results due to this if you have enough calories.

Also 210 lbs. spread out over a 6'3'' frame isn't the mass monster that you make yourself out to be. I don't even lift for mass and I'm 213 lbs. at 5'10'' as of this afternoon.

I got up too 220, now 210, don't make myself out to be a mass monster, I'm aesthetic.

Jake 99

Living the dream!

Curious what your friend numbers were before your 8 week plan and what there were at the meet.

Rowandj

Addicted to Softballfans
Curious what your friend numbers were before your 8 week plan and what there were at the meet.

Don't really remember the numbers off hand before the 8 weeks.
At the meet he benched 400+ and deadlifted 600+

grubd

Banned User
Don't really remember the numbers off hand before the 8 weeks.
At the meet he benched 400+ and deadlifted 600+

The prework out with you numbers are important to know. With those meet numbers he is a strong kid. The plan you follow is far from that a powerlifter would use to train. I would easily venture to say a different plan would have been more beneficial for his goals in training.

Rowandj

Addicted to Softballfans
The prework out with you numbers are important to know. With those meet numbers he is a strong kid. The plan you follow is far from that a powerlifter would use to train. I would easily venture to say a different plan would have been more beneficial for his goals in training.

Yet he won his division, at the Arnold :eek:. He works out with me 5 times a week and has won 2 powerlifting meets since. His numbers dont matter before the 8 weeks because if my training was "overtraining" or any of the countless negative terms used there is no way he'd of won, or pulled the weight he did. If he overtrained for 8 weeks im sure he would have been burned out :p