Any Ruling

msw4indy

Addicted to Softballfans
Had a play last night. Senior league but was curious what the actual rule is by association. Batter hits line drive that hits the pitcher, then hit the runner that was a step off of 2B before hitting the ground. Ump called dead ball, runner that was hit out and batter to 1B. Or SS thought it should be treated as a live ball because it hit the pitcher first before the base runner? I know league rules may be different but was curious if this were to happen in a sanctioned tournament what the correct call would be, even in Senior ball. Thanks fellas!

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Did it happen fast, or did the runner have a ton of time to avoid the ball? Was the contact intentional?

Country469

EFFECT Sec. 5.
C. When a base runner is struck by a fair batted ball on fair ground while off his
base and before it touches a fielder or passes a fielder.

In utrip, if it hits the pitcher and comes off hard and can't be avoided, this is play ball.

If it was slow, and could easily have been avoided, I call him out.

ureout

The Veteran
you said this was a senior league.. if you are using SSUSA senior rules then the pitcher for that purpose is not considered a fielder and if the ball goes off him or his glove and then hits a runner while off the base it is a dead ball the runner is out and batter is awarded 1st base and all runners advance that are forced to advance

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans
you said this was a senior league.. if you are using SSUSA senior rules then the pitcher for that purpose is not considered a fielder and if the ball goes off him or his glove and then hits a runner while off the base it is a dead ball the runner is out and batter is awarded 1st base and all runners advance that are forced to advance

And people think the older guys are smarter. That's one of the dumbest rules I've ever heard involving be hit by a batter ball

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?

Are you sure about this? Maybe I'm reading the rule wrong.

9.2 • THE BALL IS IN PLAY
A. At the start of each half inning, when the pitcher has the ballin the pitchingposition and the umpire has called "play ball".
B. When the infield fly rule is enforced.
C. When a thrown ball goes past a fielder and remains in playable territory.
D. When a fair ball strikes an umpire or base runner on fair ground aftertouching an infielder, including the pitcher. (See also §9.1 X)

9.1 is DEAD BALL
X.When a fair batted ballstrikes an umpire or baserunner on fair groundbefore passing or touching an infielder,excluding the pitcher.EXCEPTION: Afair batted ballthat deflects offthe pitcher's gloveremains a live ball. EFFECT: The batter is awarded firstbase, andrunners advance one base onlyif forcedwith the exception thata runnerstruck while off base is out. (See also §8.2 C.)

If I read that correctly, a ball that touches the pitcher (or his glove) is a live ball. A ball that strikes the runner before it passes or touches a fielder is a dead ball and runners advance if forced.

ureout

The Veteran
Are you sure about this? Maybe I'm reading the rule wrong.

9.2 • THE BALL IS IN PLAY
A. At the start of each half inning, when the pitcher has the ballin the pitchingposition and the umpire has called "play ball".
B. When the infield fly rule is enforced.
C. When a thrown ball goes past a fielder and remains in playable territory.
D. When a fair ball strikes an umpire or base runner on fair ground aftertouching an infielder, including the pitcher. (See also §9.1 X)

9.1 is DEAD BALL
X.When a fair batted ballstrikes an umpire or baserunner on fair groundbefore passing or touching an infielder,excluding the pitcher.EXCEPTION: Afair batted ballthat deflects offthe pitcher's gloveremains a live ball. EFFECT: The batter is awarded firstbase, andrunners advance one base onlyif forcedwith the exception thata runnerstruck while off base is out. (See also §8.2 C.)

If I read that correctly, a ball that touches the pitcher (or his glove) is a live ball. A ball that strikes the runner before it passes or touches a fielder is a dead ball and runners advance if forced.

Sully.. yes you are correct I mistakenly wrote dead ball but the runner is still called out even though the ball went off the pitchers glove

Sully

Wanna buy jerseys/rings?
EXCEPTION: A fair batted ball that deflects off the pitcher's glove remains a live ball

msw4indy

Addicted to Softballfans
Did it happen fast, or did the runner have a ton of time to avoid the ball? Was the contact intentional?

Sorry, hadn't been back on in a few days.

It was a hard line drive that glanced off the pitchers thigh/hip area, so the runner really didn't have time to react. To be honest, it is a Senior league but I'm not sure which/if any Senior rules are in effect other than the run limit per inning, mat, and commitment/scoring lines.

From what I read above, I think the right call was made as the runner was a step off of 2nd.

Appreciate the feedback!

ureout

The Veteran
JUST FOR INFO:

I brought it back up with SSUSA about the ruling that they gave in June on their rules web-site that the runner is out on a batted ball that went off the pitchers glove and then hit the runner... They have changed the ruling to a live ball play on