ASA Runner accidentally kicks balls

cimber

Addicted to Softballfans
Bases loaded. 2 outs. Batter hits the ball with tons of back spin. It lands just to the right of second base and both the pitcher and second basement are running to catch the ball. Neither catch it and the ball darts up and towards first base. The runner running to 2nd base accidentally kicks the ball mid air. he tried to avoid the ball by trying to jump over it. But kicked it instead. He was ruled out. Right call?

KontrolledKaos2

Softball Guy
Ya I think if the runner makes contact with the ball before a fielder does he's out no matter what. Just one of those things I guess

ureout

The Veteran
Bases loaded. 2 outs. Batter hits the ball with tons of back spin. It lands just to the right of second base and both the pitcher and second basement are running to catch the ball. Neither catch it and the ball darts up and towards first base. The runner running to 2nd base accidentally kicks the ball mid air. he tried to avoid the ball by trying to jump over it. But kicked it instead. He was ruled out. Right call?

the pitcher is usually not considered as a defensive player in many scenarios of a runner being hit by a batted ball....but if the 2nd baseman made a play on the ball and missed it and then it hits the runner you have a live ball... play on

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
Sounds like the ball landed to the right and behind second base. The question you have to ask now is, did the second basemen have a play on the ball before the runner touched the batted ball, or after. If the runner touched the ball before the second baseman had a play on it, and I don't care if you think the out could have been made as that has no bearing on this play, then the ball is dead, runner is out, batter is placed on first with other runners being placed back on the bag last touched, and the runners only moving forward if forced.

If the the 2b already had a play on the ball, missed it, regardless if he touched the ball or not, then you have a live ball and runner is free to move forward as the ball has passed a fielder. The only way that the runner could be called out in this scenario is if the umpire determined that the runner did something intentional to touch the ball.

Live and dead ball, along with the out or safe call, is dependent on if the ball has passed a fielder before touching the runner.

Last edited:

EdFred

every day I'm shovelin'
The only way that the runner could be called out in this scenario is if the umpire determined that the fielder did something intentional to touch the ball.

I would hope the fielder is intentionally trying to touch the ball while making a play. ;)

I know you meant runner.

irishmafia

Addicted to Softballfans

The answer is yes. The fair batted ball contacted the runner prior to passing an infielder other than the pitcher. Whether F4 had the opportunity to make a play is irrelevant, it is the runner's responsibility to avoid being hit with the ball (8.7.K)

Joker

OP does not say if the ball passed the fielder or not. there is not enough information to answer this question

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I had a totally different scenario running through my head when I read the title of the thread...

ureout

The Veteran
The answer is yes. The fair batted ball contacted the runner prior to passing an infielder other than the pitcher. Whether F4 had the opportunity to make a play is irrelevant, it is the runner's responsibility to avoid being hit with the ball (8.7.K)

I disagree the OP says the 2nd baseman made a play on the ball but missed it.... for F4 to attempt a play in this scenario of a ball landing just right of 2b he must have charged the ball so the runner must have been behind the fielder when it hit him... therefore live ball...play on

fitzpats

AKA - The Anti Ringer
Here's how I read it and determine it. Please correct me if I am wrong. The ball must pass a fielder for the the play to continue as live. There is no factor in the ruling saying the runner must be behind the fielder for this to happen. The way the OP says this play went, the ball hit near second base, F4 was coming from the first base side, and (here's where some information is missing) missed the ball. The fact that F4 was in position to make a play but missed it means the ball passed a fielder and hit the runner. IMHO, had the ball not skipped beyond F4 and up the first base line, then yes, the runner would be out and the play declared dead. Given how I described above, the runner could be "in front" of the fielder from home plate, but the ball would have passed a fielder making a play on the ball. Now, had the runner between between F4 and the ball, and the ball hit the runner, then runner is out and play is declared dead.

ureout

The Veteran
fitz....yes as long as it as passed a fielder ....here is the rule

K. When a runner is struck with a fair untouched batted ball while not in contact

with a base and before it passes another infielder excluding the pitcher, or
if it passes an infielder and another fielder has an opportunity to make an

out.
EFFECT: The ball is dead and the runner is out. All other runners must return
to the last base legally touched at the time of the interference.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
OP does not say if the ball passed the fielder or not. there is not enough information to answer this question

I disagree the OP says the 2nd baseman made a play on the ball but missed it.... for F4 to attempt a play in this scenario of a ball landing just right of 2b he must have charged the ball so the runner must have been behind the fielder when it hit him... therefore live ball...play on

The OP never said that the second baseman made a play on the ball, he says he was "running to catch the ball". Nowhere did he say where the second baseman was at the time the runner contacted the ball either. He could have overrun the ball and ended up inside the baseline, he could've been playing in the grass and came up 20' short of making a catch. Joker's right, not enough info.

I had a totally different scenario running through my head when I read the title of the thread...

I thought the same thing. I saw (and heard) an old guy sit on his one time. I felt bad but I still laughed.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
I thought the same thing. I saw (and heard) an old guy sit on his one time. I felt bad but I still laughed.

I keep wanting to shout, "Chopper! Kick balls!" but figure only people above the age of 35 would get the joke.