ASA Runner hit with ball

smokeum99ta

Addicted to Softballfans
USA softball league. Need clarification on this please. Bases loaded, one out. Ball hit down the 3rd base line. Hits runner on 3rd (which was on the bag) in fair territory and redirects the balls so the 3rd baseman misses the play. Is it a dead ball, runner on 3rd is out and all runners move up or is it a live ball.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
Since the runner is on the base, he is not out (assuming he didn’t interfere intentionally). It sounds to me that it had not yet passed the nearest infielder, which would make it a dead ball, and the batter-runner would be awarded first base. Since bases were loaded, all runners advance to the next base.

smokeum99ta

Addicted to Softballfans
Since the runner is on the base, he is not out (assuming he didn’t interfere intentionally). It sounds to me that it had not yet passed the nearest infielder, which would make it a dead ball, and the batter-runner would be awarded first base. Since bases were loaded, all runners advance to the next base.

So everyone is safe and moves up to the next bag but not a live ball. I was under the assumption that if a dead ball was called someone was out.

eddieq

The Great and Powerful Q
So everyone is safe and moves up to the next bag but not a live ball. I was under the assumption that if a dead ball was called someone was out.

Not always. In fact, a runner hit with a batted ball is not always a dead ball (in USA Softball that is). If your situation here was one where the ball had already passed a fielder (F5 playing up in front of the bag for example), then the ball remains live and play it out.