USSSA Runner rule

itm23

Addicted to Softballfans
A courtesy runner on first the walk 2 batters to get the the player that us runnings spot in the order. Which out should be recorded the batter or the runner who should be able

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
Under national rule the player that the courtesy runner is running for can resume their place on the bases with no penalty to allow the courtesy runner to hit. Most leagues use a different rule because their courtesy runner rule predates the national rule that was put into the book this year.

ureout

The Veteran
Under national rule the player that the courtesy runner is running for can resume their place on the bases with no penalty to allow the courtesy runner to hit. Most leagues use a different rule because their courtesy runner rule predates the national rule that was put into the book this year.

EA...In USSSA I thougt if a courtesy runner was on base when his turn at bat came up he just missed his turn at bat with no penalty and whoever followed him in the line up came to bat

EA...In USSSA I thougt if a courtesy runner was on base when his turn at bat came up he just missed his turn at bat with no penalty and whoever followed him in the line up came to bat

Rule 7 EFFECT Sec 1. A-E Batting out of order is an appeal play by the defense. #3 If the mistake was not discovered until a pitch is made to the next batter, the turn at bat of the incorrect batter is then legal. All bases advanced or runs scored are counted, the next following batter shall be the one whose name follows that of the incorrect batter who just finished a time at bat. No one is called out for failure to bat and players missing their turn at bat have lost that turn and do not bat again until reached in the regular batter rotation.

That's the only place where I saw "missing turn at bat".

Rule 8 Sec. 13: COURTESY RUNNERS:....If the courtesy runner is still on base when his/her turn to bat comes up, the original baserunner can take the place on base with no penalty....

ureout

The Veteran
Rule 7 EFFECT Sec 1. A-E Batting out of order is an appeal play by the defense. #3 If the mistake was not discovered until a pitch is made to the next batter, the turn at bat of the incorrect batter is then legal. All bases advanced or runs scored are counted, the next following batter shall be the one whose name follows that of the incorrect batter who just finished a time at bat. No one is called out for failure to bat and players missing their turn at bat have lost that turn and do not bat again until reached in the regular batter rotation.

That's the only place where I saw "missing turn at bat".

Rule 8 Sec. 13: COURTESY RUNNERS:....If the courtesy runner is still on base when his/her turn to bat comes up, the original baserunner can take the place on base with no penalty....

mactruck....I see that rule thx....what I don't understand is in the batting out of order... RULE 7 SEC 1....4 it still says no runner shall be removed from the base he is occupying to bat in his proper place. He just misses his turn at bat with no penalty. The batter following him in the batting order becomes the legal batter. why else would he be on base if he wasn't a courtesy runner? I believe Rule 8 Sec 13 is new this year...do they have 2 rules saying different things or am I reding it wrong

mactruck....I see that rule thx....what I don't understand is in the batting out of order... RULE 7 SEC 1....4 it still says no runner shall be removed from the base he is occupying to bat in his proper place. He just misses his turn at bat with no penalty. The batter following him in the batting order becomes the legal batter. why else would he be on base if he wasn't a courtesy runner? I believe Rule 8 Sec 13 is new this year...do they have 2 rules saying different things or am I reding it wrong

As Bretman said, Rule 7 covers batting out of order. If you bat out of order, you could have a runner who is suppose to be up on base because of the batting out of order.

The OP's question and Rule 8 all deal with courtesy runners. Courtesy runners may be replaced by the original runner to fulfill their turn at bat.

They have 2 rules that say different things, but are covering different situations.

EAJuggalo

Addicted to Softballfans
They also have a brand new courtesy runner rule and probably didn't go over the rule book with a fine tooth comb to see what else could be affected. There is in the rule the statement that a courtesy runner may not be used in the first inning until an out is recorded. I worked a Mixed World Qualifier where a team was not allowed a courtesy runner for a male in the second inning because no male had made an out yet. This was the interpretation I got from the State UIC.