Safety Practices When Pitching

kiss_of_death

Extra Hitter
Good advice and points. I pitched for a few years and took one off my shin that was gruesome. The thought of that happening to my face was unnerving. I miss it but I don't trust my reflexes at my age. Nothing but respect for the guys who do it, especially the crafty ones who do it well.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
This reminds me --- Although I generally don't wear sunglasses ('cause I want a clean vision of the hit)....

10) ALWAYS WEAR SUNGLASSES WHEN PITCHING INTO THE LOW SUN ... even though it reduces your vision of the hit, it will at least allow you to track the ball as it rises off the bat --- Without sunglasses, the sun will totally blind you to being able to track the ball...

%%%

I use Amber or Bronze, and High Intensity Yellow works well for lower light conditions. I actually pick the ball up better with my Persimmon (Bronze) Oakleys. I started wearing them instead of a mask/helmet, but kept wearing them once I started wearing one because grounders will sometimes kick up the sandy soil we play on down here. It never caused me to miss a ball, but it made my eyes watery for the next several batters.

RT Addict

\m/NEED MORE COWBELL\m/
I use Amber or Bronze, and High Intensity Yellow works well for lower light conditions. I actually pick the ball up better with my Persimmon (Bronze) Oakleys. I started wearing them instead of a mask/helmet, but kept wearing them once I started wearing one because grounders will sometimes kick up the sandy soil we play on down here. It never caused me to miss a ball, but it made my eyes watery for the next several batters.

I use the persimmon Oakleys all the time now. Easier to see the ball for sure.

sungus77

Addicted to Softballfans
didn't see any mention in the protective equipment part, but a protective cup is a MUST. it's saved me 2 trips to the emergency room on 2 lasers to my misters. one of those times, i almost didn't wear it but turned around to go get it.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
So this is a revival of my thread from 2014 - It's the link in my signature.

Why?

First, we're headed for the beginning of a new season - So there are likely some new pitchers who need a run-down on keeping safe. It's also good for the veterans to review some of these good suggestions as well.

The second reason is that I was required to use a pitching helmet to pitch in one of my leagues for fall ball. They would have supplied a communal one, but I bought the Worth Legit Helmet. It does diminish my vision and moves around a bit. It took about 5 games to get somewhat used to it. It also happened that a different league I play had players hitting middle more often than normal.

I admit, last season proved that my reactions are slowing down a bit - Not a lot, but enough to make those laser hits at me more difficult to capture. I took a few hits last year, which should have been a warning - but I tried to ignore them. Eventually, I had a shot at my head on which I only got a piece of with my glove. It ricocheted into my eyebrow. No damage to the eye. It swelled up, but I pitched two more games (playoffs) that day, wearing my helmet.

So, now I'm committed to wear the helmet this year for all my games. I'm sure you can find some of my old posts where I personally resisted wearing one - although I've never discouraged others from doing so. I still had the reactions and played in divisions where I could make that work.

But when you get the warnings about your reaction time, pay attention. Make the decision before you suffer some catastrophic injury.

I'm looking forward to the new season.

%%%

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
If I had a normal-sized head, I'd be wearing one of the Worth pitching helmets. Fortunately I found a catcher's hockey-style helmet that fits, so I wear that while pitching. Haven't had a close call yet, though I stick to the inside corner as much as I possibly can--that really seems to help.

blakcherry329

I never tell my teammates to hit middle. If that's their natural swing then go for it. But hitting middle just for spite is just letting the other team know that they're in your head. Like someone said, never let them see you sweat. I don't hit middle out of professional courtesy, even if the other pitcher does. It's part of the field and you shouldn't be pissed if they use it.

I wear a LAX helmet with the bar cut out, and sunglasses. Perfect vision, not sure about people saying you lose some vision wearing sunglasses, but whatever. I wear shin guards in tournaments.
I don't wear any protection in my Clincher leagues. The exit speed is way lower and I can get my glove on anything hit in those leagues, even with all the shaved bats. lol
I really don't understand why I still see people pitching without a mask of some kind. smh

D-ROCK13

After taking a few different shin shots and close calls in worse areas, (from classic m gold dots, in the cold) i realized my reaction time was down. I Wear a face mask and shin guards now if there is no safety net, my normal league mandated the net. Even with the net I've seen dozens of pitchers get smoked, because they refuse to get behind it, and it actually hinders vision, and makes you more likely to get hit, when you don't.

I think though, the BIGGEST thing that can be done by a pitcher, is shut your mouth if you get hit at. Like said before it is part of the game. Another position on the field. It is going to happen. Instead of fueling the fire with your mouth, have your teammates fire right back. When the other team knows you can hit the middle as well, either it is going to stop or they are going to hammer you more. Just depends on how well you field it.
tbipitch -- Have you ever heard the expression, "Don't be THAT guy?" You're that guy. What a big, brave man to instruct your teammates to intentionally hit at an opponent only 46 -50 feet away, a softball traveling possibly 100 mph. What a ****head

D-ROCK13

I've never asked my team to shoot middle after being hit at, or even hit. It's part of the game, and when I've had a teammate ask if they should retaliate i always explain that...

I've absolutely had opposing pitchers intentionally try and hit me and verbally make it known, and at that point it may, or may not, become a competition, for me personally 😂

I've never asked my team to shoot middle after being hit at, or even hit. It's part of the game, and when I've had a teammate ask if they should retaliate i always explain that...

I've absolutely had opposing pitchers intentionally try and hit me and verbally make it known, and at that point it may, or may not, become a competition, for me personally 😂
Pitcher on pitcher violence is 100% acceptable.

Most of the stuff on here, for pitching, is good stuff. It's beginner, fundamental, but good. But also, let's be honest about the position.

The position is either because you think you're a badass or you act like you're a badass. Lots of glory, lots of blame, lots of pain. Depends on the player. You don't adjust yourself to the position, you are who you are and you own that position.

Roll the ball to first? Situational. Blast middle as a pitcher? Situational. Talk **** to the DHH or every batter? Situational. Threaten to throw hands after middle shot? Situational.

Like it or leave it, different personalities occupy the mound. 8 other guys are behind him to follow his lead, right or wrong, as the game is being played. That's part of what makes slow pitch softball dynamic and not just another Thursday night of playing bridge.

What I'm getting at is this: don't like the way someone does something? Suck it up and do it your way. Be better.
Don't like someone's answer? Provide a better one. Don't like someone blasting middle? Get a glove and play 5 man.
I'll pitch low and outside to a DHH. I'll pitch high and inside to the batter way off the box, I'll do whatever I can to have them deviate from what they want to do, because I am able to handle whatever they got and so are the teammates behind me.

Redsfan

Question for you pitchers. How many of you actually take grounders in practice? From what I've experienced pitchers that can field and not run their mouths will deter the majority of middle shots. I played with one guy that was incredible fielding his position. He was so good that got the reputation to not hit it at him. He also kept his mouth shut and just played the game. He always took grounders with the other infielders before games or when we had practice. As others have said, alot of pitchers just ask to be hit at. Being a jacka$$ on the mound will make you become a target.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Question for you pitchers. How many of you actually take grounders in practice?

Good points - Sometimes, when I get the chance, I'll field 3rd base in BP. You usually have a little more time to react than at pitcher, but if you get a pull hitter, they can be very hot shots. I'm no good playing 3B or SS in the game because my throw is poor to 1st base.

Yes - be sure to take practice. And this is also why I hate using a pitching screen in practice if you don't use one in your league games. It takes away the practice of fielding the hits. Of course, use your helmet. If you practice with the screen, it's easy to forget to defend in the game, even for the ones hit right at you. Dangerous!

%%%

D-ROCK13

I usually pitch half of bp and get practice that way. Then the other half I fill in for whoever is hitting or ill play ss or 3rd if possible.
I'm more of the calm and quiet type pitcher, rarely say a word besides directing my team. I'll let my skills or lack there of do the talking

WiLD53

i recommend honing your reflexes and improving your hand speed... i did that by playing a game called slapsies when i was younger... and i don't mean the one with palms up and down... i mean the one where you stand with your hands out in front of you palm to palm and your opponent stands across from you with their hands on their hips... and then they try to smack you and you try to avoid being smacked... this game improved both hand speed and reaction time... nothing like a little pain to learn from... at least this kind of pain is better than taking one of your body with nothing gained from it... you know you're there when no one wants to play a 2nd round with you... in fact, many people wouldn't even finish the first round with me because it hurt too much... i may have been a bit sadistic back then... :cool:

blakcherry329

Question for you pitchers. How many of you actually take grounders in practice? From what I've experienced pitchers that can field and not run their mouths will deter the majority of middle shots. I played with one guy that was incredible fielding his position. He was so good that got the reputation to not hit it at him. He also kept his mouth shut and just played the game. He always took grounders with the other infielders before games or when we had practice. As others have said, alot of pitchers just ask to be hit at. Being a jacka$$ on the mound will make you become a target.
I'll take grounders at other positions, sometimes. When I used to play 3rd or 1st, way back in the day, I never took grounder during BP. A bad hop will ruin your game. ;-)
Now I'll take grounders in BP cuz all the bases are way farther from the plate than the mound is, so it seems way easier. lol

I don't talk **** but I don't mind the **** talkers. They can't get in my head but it's amusing when they try.

ImminentDanger

Up and Over
Haven't had a close call yet, though I stick to the inside corner as much as I possibly can--that really seems to help.
I agree with this philosophy ---- BUT...

Since the umpires don't enforce the Batter's Box on the batters, even though they enforce the Pitching Box on the pitchers, it is almost impossible to throw a true inside pitch on a batter. They simply stand or step back out of the box and it becomes an outside pitch!

Fair is fair - If you're an ump, ENFORCE THE BATTER'S BOX!!!
(That's one of my pet peeves!)

%%%

blakcherry329

There's only batter's boxes on turf fields around these parts. All other fields in NJ and NY are hardly ever lined and batter's boxes are basically nonexistent. Definitely #1 on my list of frustrating things in slow pitch.
In modified, if you want to stand way off the plate, have at it. I can usually exploit that nonsense. ;)