Saw this at a game tonight

eHall

Base burglar
No problem if you want to pray before the game but don't try to slip me a Jesus trading card in the reception line after the game.

I know the book he was the main character in, if I'm interested I will look there for his stats, ok?

Lord7

Banned User
When we lined up to pray, a guy laid a bat on the ground, and three of the teammates put their hats on the barrel of the bat. Never seen it before and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light.

That is what Jesus did in the legendary 3rd game of the 0032 series against Bethlehem. Sampson was pitching and Jesus and Luke got the idea to lay hands on a bat, thinking it would help them comeback like Lazarus did. They actually ended up losing because Jobe had an insane night at the plate with 9 rbi, but they kept up the tradition right up until the day Jesus left us.

AL CATRAZ

sbc86s' boy toy
That is what Jesus did in the legendary 3rd game of the 0032 series against Bethlehem. Sampson was pitching and Jesus and Luke got the idea to lay hands on a bat, thinking it would help them comeback like Lazarus did. They actually ended up losing because Jobe had an insane night at the plate with 9 rbi, but they kept up the tradition right up until the day Jesus left us.

i let out a heathen chuckle :)

Gamble

Addicted to Softballfans
Prayer never hurts anyone..Without god none of us would be out there...We start all of our games with prayer.church league or not!!!!You should try it!!!

My team is 9 atheists and 1 'agnostic'.

I totally agree. I would rather live a good life believing and have a great future in heaven than to not believe and be wrong.:eek:

Either way , we all will have to make that choice ourselves.

I would rather live a good life because I choose to, not because I fear some cloud man in a golden city will punish me with eternal fire if I don't. I don't steal, not because some guy talked to a burning bush that inscribed it on a stone tablet, but because stealing is kind of a turd thing to do.

Now that I've been baited into a philosophical argument in a "I don't want to start a flamewar" thread, I'll get back to the original question. I'd agree with the guess that they're paying tribute to three teammates (or friends, whatever) who have passed.

eHall

Base burglar
I have no problem with religious guys playing softball or praying on the field, my team has quite a few. My problem is with the aggressive "hey come to church with me" guy. Or jesus trading card guy.

AveregeJay

Banned User

I'm not in any way a religious man, but after reading this I understand it all now. I wonder who their SS was?

Lord7

Banned User
Ezekiel sounds like an amazing shortstop. He was probably Dominican or Cuban.

Exactly! His full name was Ezekiel Gonzalez, but you rarely hear anyone call him anything other than Ezekiel or occasionally Zeke...

Waggs

Addicted to Softballfans
They were asking forgiveness for there shaved bat. You can do anything you want as long as you ask forgiveness.

xxomegawpnxx

Addicted to Softballfans

I thought maybe Judas threw the game.....

JPritch

Addicted to Softballfans
I never take part in post-game prayers when asked. Prayer time is between me and God. I feel that some do it for appearances rather than truly meaning it.

pirates33

Addicted to Softballfans

I would rather live a good life because I choose to, not because I fear some cloud man in a golden city will punish me with eternal fire if I don't. I don't steal, not because some guy talked to a burning bush that inscribed it on a stone tablet, but because stealing is kind of a turd thing to do.

This is one of the best statements yet

blakcherry329

Why is it that people that don't believe think that they are so smart and act like a DB with sarcasms and jokes? And the ones that believe are somehow not as intelligent because they chose to believe in "fairy tales" about a higher being.

The "dumbasses" that believe are more tolerant of atheists/agnostics, but not the other way around.

Last edited:
I totally agree. I would rather live a good life believing and have a great future in heaven than to not believe and be wrong.:eek:

Either way , we all will have to make that choice ourselves.

I would rather take the chance of being right, and be rewarded with eternal life. Like Freaky said If I'm wrong so be it.

So you only believe in God cause you're skeered:confused: That makes sense:rolleyes:

eHall

Base burglar
Why is it that people that don't believe think that they are so smart and act like a DB with sarcasms and jokes? And the ones that believe are somehow not as intelligent because they chose to believe in "fairy tales" about a higher being.

The "dumbasses" that believe are more tolerant of atheists/agnostics, but not the other way around.

I find it works both ways. There are "militants" on both sides.

I find it most telling that religion still flourishes amongst the most uneducated. Religion has also caused most of the wars in history.