ASA Scoring Dispute

SouthernSwing

Off the bench...for now..
We are the visiting team, it is bottom of the 5th ( i think) and the score is 3-2 my team. The home team starts singling us to death and before we know it the game is called by run rule. Our score keeper and the home team's score keeper compared books with the "official" score keeper when the game was called. Both the teams agree that the score is 3-11 home team still batting with 2 outs. But the lady keeping the score for the league says it's 3-14. Ump behind the plates says "sorry that's official" and walks off the field.

Is protesting the game after the fact the only thing that could have been done in this situation?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
By rule, the scorekeeper's book is official.

However, it would have been nice to have a scorekeeper who was willing to verify things if it appears that a mistake was made.

SouthernSwing

By rule, the scorekeeper's book is official.

However, it would have been nice to have a scorekeeper who was willing to verify things if it appears that a mistake was made.

I agree. The umpire who was in the field disagreed with how it was handled and let us know it after the game. He called the 2nd game for us and assured us that he'd call it right.

We didn't kick up a big fuss or anything. Even if we had a stance for an arguement, arguing with the ump never has positive results.

So to the question. Is putting the game under protest the only action that could be taken by a team after the game is officially ended with a scoring dispute? Our team scorekeeper has been keeping books in ASA for more than 20 years, so she has about 19 on the lady for the league and is very accurate.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
I think your best route would have been to ask the ump and official score keeper nicely if we can all get together and confirm. Compare all three books and do the math - i.e. "We've batted 14, 2 out, 2 on base, that's 10 runs."

SouthernSwing

I think your best route would have been to ask the ump and official score keeper nicely if we can all get together and confirm. Compare all three books and do the math - i.e. "We've batted 14, 2 out, 2 on base, that's 10 runs."

That is what happened. The two teams' score keepers brought their books to the official score keeper and compared...discussion lasted about 10 minutes or so. At 1 point they put the defense back on the field to continue playing. But the ump was set on the official score book being undisputed so they called the game a 2nd time and that was it.

This was upsetting to take a chance for us to bat away....18 minutes were left on the board. But all in all not a HUGE deal. I just wanted opinions for the way to handle this in the future should it happen again.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
That sucks. Usually someone with "Official" in front of their title has some knowledge. Umped dropped the ball by not admitting a mistake had been made.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
That sucks. Usually someone with "Official" in front of their title has some knowledge. Umped dropped the ball by not admitting a mistake had been made.

Why do you even remotely think this is the umpire's fault? The scorekeeper's book is official, and it's not the umpire's job to periodically "verify" the score with the scorekeeper.

If there's any discrepancy, it is the responsibility of the TEAMS to resolve any and all scoring issues with the scorekeeper. The ump has zero part in this.

MrEye

Addicted to Softballfans
Why do you even remotely think this is the umpire's fault? The scorekeeper's book is official, and it's not the umpire's job to periodically "verify" the score with the scorekeeper.

If there's any discrepancy, it is the responsibility of the TEAMS to resolve any and all scoring issues with the scorekeeper. The ump has zero part in this.

I'll admit, I haven't umped with an "official" score keeper. The Home team is the official book around here.

My comment came from his last post that seemed to say the scorekeeper agreed (They put the defense back on the field), but the ump was stubborn and said the original score was official and couldn't be corrected. I may have read too much into it. Sorry for the misunderstanding.