Shipping to Canada and Shipping to an APO/FPO (Updated 8/24/2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCharcoal

True Beaut
So after reading a NGTG post between an American and a Canadian, it kinda set me off. I've made multiple GTG deals with Americans, yet alot of you refuse to ship international citing "extra time and money".

We all know you can't trust Canada Post, USPS, UPS or anyone else. So lets think logically.

1) Extra Time: As I had stated in my reply to that post, what is worse? Would you rather spend an extra 5-10 minutes filling out the proper forms (In country or International) and insuring the bat? Or would you rather bicker on the boards for WEEKS over whose fault it is that the bat didn't show up? And then, there is no REAL guarentee that either party will be reimbursed.

2) Extra money: This falls into the extra time category as well. Shipping bats Internationally should never cost more than $25 (excluding packaging costs). I've done it multiple times as have many of you. The real pain in the arse is the customs issues that come COD.

EDIT: (8/24/2014)- It has been reported that shipping to Canada will now cost $35.

So Here it is!!
This message was stolen from SPO (borrowed without permission by user
'wanna-b-fanboy')

==============================================

Proper Shipping To Canada
Hey all, for those that deal with our South of the Boarder Brothers, here's a little snippet for those a little shy in shipping northwards.

USPS Priority is fairly inexpensive 17-25 bucks and will arrive in 7-10 business days.
The only the only thing you need to do extra is fill out a declaration form - which is super easy.

The form looks like this:
usps.jpg

Fill it out and mention these key facts:

1) "Commercial Sample" box checked
2) Include "used bat" with "no commercial value" in the description
3) Mark it as "Made in USA and Canada".
4) Declare it as $0 value, but you can still insure it for the full amount.

I hope this helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------
LAST BUT NOT LEAST

For the love of god man! I know you're excited that your OG FLEX has arrived, but shake the freaking box! If the above steps were followed, refuse to accept it. No matter what company delivers the box, you have to sign saying you are receiving it. IF YOU ARE NOT RECEIVING IT, DO NOT SIGN!

There are more national sales than international, this is for BOTH.
Instead of fighting on here that the bat was not shipped, or that the buyer received it but is trying to screw the seller, EVERYONE CAN AGREE IT WAS THE SHIPPING COMPANY.

That's why the extra forms and insurance AND TIME were put in.
-----------------------

Remember that this forum is to get reviews, information, and used bats/items to all of it's members. Lets do things right and keep the trust!

Last edited by a moderator:

RyanLap

The Rookie
Ive seen this before and agree it really helps in explaining how simple it is to ship to Canada.

Not sure if this is the right section but good info none the less.

:D

toxdog

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks for the tips about shaking it. Wish it had been earlier. I shipped a NIW bat north on 5/21. It arrived today and rattled like cowbell. We are now in the process of claiming insurance. If you receive a bat international and shake it and it rattles, it may be easier to refuse it and let the seller fight with their postal service. If you open it and it has been damaged, you need to take the bat and the shipping box to the local post office and get them to put on record that it arrived damaged. Evidently that is the way the postal services from different countries talk. My bat and shipping container will go to the post office in Canada and they will record that it arrived damaged. I had to call the postal service to start the claim. They will check with the Canadian postal service and determine that there is a record of delivered damaged. Supposedly, they will send me a form and I can claim insurance. They said it may take up to 21 days to get it processed but as long as both seller and buyer are patient, we will get our money back. As MrCharcoal said, it is the shipping company that screwed up. Support your softball brothers up north.

jgray95903

GDC SILVER STATUS MEMBER
Shipping to an APO/FPO

I decided to start this thread after I was asked numerous times to add cash for shipping to an APO address. There is absolutely no extra charge for shipping to an APO/FPO AP or AE address. When you ship to an APO AP address the item is ship to San Francisco port. When you ship to an APO AE address the item is shipped to New York port. The military has centers in both locations that handle the mail from that point. When you pay the cost for shipping it is for these locations, no further. The military covers the cost to ship overseas. That’s why an APO address is considered to be a state side address.

The best methods to ship are First Class, Priority and Express mail. If your package is very small and weighs less than 13oz. you can use First Class. Softball bats are usually shipped Priority Mail. This is the most cost effective and preferred method to use. Items are shipped and receive usually between 6-10 days. Express mail is expensive, but the item will usually be delivered in 3-4 days. DO NOT SHIP SAM or PARCEL POST. It will take 30-45 days for the item to be shipped to an APO address using these methods.

The only difference when shipping overseas is that you have to fill out a customs declaration form that the post office will attach to the package. There are two types of forms that can be used; I will provide examples of both forms so that there is no further confusion for these forms. If you mail something that can fit in a regular envelope you do not need to add a customs form, just regular postage. I hope this information helps ease the minds of some of the board members that think it is going to cost them an arm and a leg to ship. You will notice that the PS Form 2976 is very easy to fill out and doesn’t require much information.

Customsformbig001.jpg

I added the info below from the Canada thread. It might save you some money on insurance. You can use the small form as long as the value of the item doesn’t exceed $400. You could always put $0 as the value and just insure it for whatever value.
Fill it out and mention these key facts:

1) "Commercial Sample" box checked
2) Include "used bat" with "no commercial value" in the description
3) Mark it as "Made in USA and Canada".
4) Declare it as $0 value, but you can still insure it for the full amount.

smallcustoms001.jpg

I hope this helps. I will modify if anything needs to be changed.

Big Dog

Last edited:

milocoman

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on zip for us. If we ship to a 9**** zip for APO and insuring it can cost almost $15 to ship. If we are shipping to an 09*** zip code it is about $4 cheaper. We ship online and have never been able to ship APO using express mail....so we ship everything priority.

Hammerin' Hank

Addicted to Softballfans
this is cool, i just agreed to a deal with someone stationed in Japan, at first i thought i was shipping to japan, and i was skeptical, but he gave me his addy, and it had a us zip code, and looked like a us address, i went to USPS.com, and you can get an estimated shipping charge for any address you put in, i put it in and the est. was like 13 bucks priority mail!! add on insurance and DC should be around 15 bucks!

jgray95903

GDC SILVER STATUS MEMBER
I noticed a lot of different prices ranging from $9 to $15 on the customs forms. I was told that the size and weight of the package matter when shipping.

cbohrman44

Earnstaf tribute
have spent over half my AF career overseas, and i PROMISE, we appreciate all the fellas that are willing to ship....1 year was at good ol Osan!!! best year of my career!

Status
Not open for further replies.