Shortstop switching to 2nd Base

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
How long did it take to not feel like you were doing everything backwards? Played SS for years, switched to outfield in juco and early softball and competitive softball days, ate myself into a 1st and 3rd base type roll over last few years, now giving it a go at 2nd. As far as field the ball throw the ball its no big deal, but taking throws from outfield at the bag and turning double plays feels backwards.

side note.....personally i feel it would be easier to talk to the other infielders about preferences. Tournament teams communicate better. League teams look at me like im an ass for asking to throw to me not the bag

Helton17

The Mouse is in the House
I haven't played extensively at 2b at any point in my life, but I have filled in for tournaments at times. The only difference that I feel there is the same as when I went out to RF for two games when my shoulder was bad. For me, its just the tail on some of the balls on that side. I think if you were fundamentally sound at SS in terms of taking cuts and so on, that should translate quickly on the right side of the IF.

This might be a silly question, but is there a reason why you would ask them to throw the ball to you and not the bag on double plays? I would still think the bag would give you the best vantage point in determining if you need to step forward or step backward on a double play.

kingbenny

Addicted to Softballfans
Hi, I play second on my tournament team, But I am also a utility player and pitcher. In softball second get alot of action, Really you control alot. taking and lining yourself up with the bag for a relay throw. Covering second, for aforce a dbl play is exciting. Backing up first.I think it may be the most pivotal in the infield if you are an active position player. Good luck and watch out for the second hitter with a man on first.

rhound50

Rec Coed Superstar
The only thing that was weird for me was the double play turn. Other than that I have always said a good SS should be able to play anywhere else on the infield rather easily.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
I play 3b ss and 2B, should be able to switch anytime. Also play some outfield. Shouldn't take any time to switch

Not as much looking at not being able to switch or do it causing poor performance. Mainly looking at main question of how long did it take to feel natural and not like doing everything backwards?

I haven't played extensively at 2b at any point in my life, but I have filled in for tournaments at times. The only difference that I feel there is the same as when I went out to RF for two games when my shoulder was bad. For me, its just the tail on some of the balls on that side. I think if you were fundamentally sound at SS in terms of taking cuts and so on, that should translate quickly on the right side of the IF.

This might be a silly question, but is there a reason why you would ask them to throw the ball to you and not the bag on double plays? I would still think the bag would give you the best vantage point in determining if you need to step forward or step backward on a double play.

I played 2nd extensively for one year when I was a 6th grader on the middle school team and there was an 8th grader at SS, then at 3rd my freshman year, but other than that pitcher and SS til JUCO.

As far wanting the ball early. Its just my personal preferance and makes me feel more comfortable at 2nd. As a SS throwing to bag is easy and you can make adjustments as you are moving towards 1st and react to bad throws with the runners in view. At 2nd your back is to/quartering away from the runners coming to second and going up the line. Its just more comfortable for me to get the ball and be able to move feet or arm angle instead of the throw deciding my positioning.

The only thing that was weird for me was the double play turn. Other than that I have always said a good SS should be able to play anywhere else on the infield rather easily.

Its not a huge change but enough to feel unnatural. I could turn a double play from SS with my eyes closed because it feels natural and fluid. At 2nd feels slow and forced

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Hi, I play second on my tournament team, But I am also a utility player and pitcher. In softball second get alot of action, Really you control alot. taking and lining yourself up with the bag for a relay throw. Covering second, for aforce a dbl play is exciting. Backing up first.I think it may be the most pivotal in the infield if you are an active position player. Good luck and watch out for the second hitter with a man on first.

Does your tournament team play 5 man or standard?

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
I find myself constantly cheating towards second with runners on. Wish I had a 5 man or was the 5 man lol

zuke 37

Star Player
simple rules of thumb: follow the ball, if you can see second base looking at a hit to left, cover the bag, if the hit is to right you can not see second, follow the ball and get out there for the relay. hopefully someone in the infield will be telling you where to throw the ball, just as i'm sure you will be telling the shortstop where to throw his relay.

if you have a middle infielder make them cover, when he doesn't yell at him "hey, cover second" remember when any of your infielders has their back to the play you are his eyes. they wont have to look for the play, if you talk he will already know.

another tip: with a man on first, a grounder to your left, follow your glove around till your back is to home, your throw will be easier, stronger and more accurate.

the double play relay: the throw is all arm, you don't have to be Conan the make a 60ft throw. just do it fast (like ***)

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Thanks guys and no offense, but I know the fundamentals of the game and all the little tips. It is helpful to hear them a few times. the question i'm getting at like in the OP is how long til it feels normal and not like a baby giraffe on new legs. Going from short to second is like putting a sprinter on ice. Know how to and what to do but feel like its all backwards

zuke 37

Star Player
your right it is backwards, just keep playing, everything will become second nature. put a little practice time in your ball transfer time at second and throw the ball like you have a pair. practice creates muscle memory, let nature take it's course.

OldguyinHavasu

Addicted to Softballfans
AW...the trick is to quit thinking like a shortstop. Then it won't seem backward. I've played every where, and just focused on the position I was at, not compare it to where I was, or where I might be going...it seemed pretty easy for me to make the switch from ss to 2nd, from outfield to catcher, pitcher to third (mostly cuz I suck at pitching)...

ATL Rookie

Manager
The biggest difference I see between right side and left side of the IF is the way a ball slices on line drives and hard grounders. It doesn't take too long to get used to though.

Charja

Banned User
A lot of tourney teams play 5 man so a lot just have to be able field a grounder. But 2B has always felt easier for me. A lot more time than at SS and there is time for bobbles. As far as it being the most important position in the IF, no way. Catcher always is in baseball but 1B in softball. A good 1B will get you out of innings and save runs and a really good one is vocal since he can see the entire field as far as balls that get into the OF.

I would take some DP feeds from your SS though. That's what's different. SS's can adjust to the ball while receiving feeds from 2B but 2B's have to make the pivot based on where the SS feeds it. Whether coming across the bag, no pivot, or drop step. If you have a blazing OF I would try 5 man.

andy-rockstar

Living for the Cit-ay
Although it may feel vastly different at 2B, the only real difference is in turning the double play. You get some new footwork to learn around the bag.

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
A lot of tourney teams play 5 man so a lot just have to be able field a grounder. But 2B has always felt easier for me. A lot more time than at SS and there is time for bobbles. As far as it being the most important position in the IF, no way. Catcher always is in baseball but 1B in softball. A good 1B will get you out of innings and save runs and a really good one is vocal since he can see the entire field as far as balls that get into the OF.

I would take some DP feeds from your SS though. That's what's different. SS's can adjust to the ball while receiving feeds from 2B but 2B's have to make the pivot based on where the SS feeds it. Whether coming across the bag, no pivot, or drop step. If you have a blazing OF I would try 5 man.

Our blazing outfielder got fat and broken down and is now on a softball forum trying to figure out how the hell to play 2nd :(

Although it may feel vastly different at 2B, the only real difference is in turning the double play. You get some new footwork to learn around the bag.

Is it similar to any dance step. I'm a helluva dancer:confused:

Jomatty

Starting Player
Throughout my youth I played second base (had a beast of a shortstop I played with on competitive teams and high school) and now I play shortstop a fair amount. Only thing that feels weird sometimes is double plays. It is still more natural for me to take throw with left foot on the bag step back and throw rather than come across tagging the bag with my right foot from shortstop. At game speed I don't notice it as much but when practicing it still feels weird sometimes...

AWall13

Addicted to Softballfans
Throughout my youth I played second base (had a beast of a shortstop I played with on competitive teams and high school) and now I play shortstop a fair amount. Only thing that feels weird sometimes is double plays. It is still more natural for me to take throw with left foot on the bag step back and throw rather than come across tagging the bag with my right foot from shortstop. At game speed I don't notice it as much but when practicing it still feels weird sometimes...

Im at the stage where its probably not pretty but effective. I get to the bag. Catch the ball and throw from whatever position I catch it, and hope for the best

Isn't 2B where all the bad players play?

Yessir. That Roberto Alomar was a sack of ****

Softball101tc

Addicted to Softballfans
Im at the stage where its probably not pretty but effective. I get to the bag. Catch the ball and throw from whatever position I catch it, and hope for the best

Yessir. That Roberto Alomar was a sack of ****

Riiiiiiiiiiight...and Roberto Alomar would play 2B in your league :rolleyes: No really, we understand.