Should I only use balanced/end-loaded or have a mixture

CrashDavus

Reason I ask is I'm current swinging an Easton Salvo - balanced and I'm thinking of picking up an end loaded bat. I'm in the middle of where I can hit for base hits, but also can hit for power. Trying to figure if I should have a mix to use based on situations or stick with one or the other.

Dan411

Star Player
I personally wouldn't advise anyone to subscribe to the "situational" bat philosophy. Maybe keeping a log in your bag when your team is out of home runs and you have poor bat control...then maybe, but overall stick with the bat you're comfortable with. However, you should try an end loaded bat if you have the means (i.e. a teammates).

CrashDavus

Thanks for the advice Dan.

I personally wouldn't advise anyone to subscribe to the "situational" bat philosophy. Maybe keeping a log in your bag when your team is out of home runs and you have poor bat control...then maybe, but overall stick with the bat you're comfortable with. However, you should try an end loaded bat if you have the means (i.e. a teammates).

JN137

I just went through this, as I have swung a balanced bat for the past 4 seasons. I ended up switching to an end-loaded bat this season (new Freak30 but same oz. as my balanced bats) and honestly didn't notice much of a difference at all as far as control or swing speed goes

CrashDavus

I don't know why, but I'm really thinking I am going to be in the same boat. I appreciate the honesty.

I just went through this, as I have swung a balanced bat for the past 4 seasons. I ended up switching to an end-loaded bat this season (new Freak30 but same oz. as my balanced bats) and honestly didn't notice much of a difference at all as far as control or swing speed goes

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
One of the best things someone can do to make themselves a better hitter is show up to the ball park with one bat in their bag. The more variables you keep the same, the more consistent you'll be.

Jusrah99

Outstanding Bad Mudasuka!
One of the best things someone can do to make themselves a better hitter is show up to the ball park with one bat in their bag. The more variables you keep the same, the more consistent you'll be.

I've been doing it wrong!

scottydoesnt

Extra Hitter
Don't overthink it. I think choosing a weight that you are comfortable with is more important than your bats balance or endload.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
Don't overthink it. I think choosing a weight that you are comfortable with is more important than your bats balance or endload.

Some people are very finicky about bat weight and how that weight is distributed. Try as many different bats as you can and make note of what feels best, then stick with something similar. I have teammates that bat .700 with their bat, but when they try someone else's bat in BP they suck. I'm not as picky; I can swing 26-28 endload or 27-30 balanced and suck equally with all of them.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can switch between endload and balanced, but there is normally an adjustment period for most people. You don't want to be doing that during the game.

However, if you've never owned an endloaded bat I would try one as you may prefer it and may want to buy endloaded from here on.

Some people will go down an ounce in weight when trying an endload. I've never felt it made enough difference to negate that adjustment period. I just use the same weight all around, but I also only have endloads.

Hiltz

Built for comfort
The #2 hitter on my team used a 26oz Demarini One.12 for years. Lightest-swinging, most balanced bat I've ever felt, scaled it at 25.5oz. I call it his "Harry Potter wand". He got a 26oz L1 two years ago and he kills with it, and he can switch back and forth with zero adjustment. Hand him a 27oz and he can't do anything.

jbo911

Super Moderator
Staff member
People are weird and I think baseball softball people are the weirdest. I've seen a really good player get bumped into making him step on the foul line freak out and proceed to have a terrible game and blame it on that.

WarHorse

Star Player
Figure out what your team is expecting of you this year. If you can hit both bats reliably for home runs and line drives, then good on you. But if you start sacrificing your reliability for power while trying to adjust to an endload, take a step back and re-evaluate. It's a team sport, keep the surprises for the bedroom.

Nothing ever hurts giving it a college try, but don't do it when the game is on the line and your team is relying on you to perform the same as you always have.

Unless you suck. Then make a dramatic change.

Jerrshoe

I used to swing a Kirby 28oz with a 3oz end load. I've progressively gone to lighter bats and have recently started swinging the 17 Freak 30. The 30 feels absolutely perfect right now with the half oz endload. My point is, if you are going to switch, don't do it dramatically at the same time. Going from balanced to end load is one thing if it's a half oz, or 1oz end load. It's something different entirely if you go to a progressive end load bat with 2oz or 3oz, from a balanced.

Dars

Addicted to Softballfans
I would stick to one bat, or an ASA and a Utrip that weigh the same, with same EL. I swing a 27 DC41 for ASA, and will be swinging a 27 EST XL for Utrip. I swing one bat, while I watch teammates switch bats almost every AB.

4xtra

Player/Coach
The #2 hitter on my team used a 26oz Demarini One.12 for years. Lightest-swinging, most balanced bat I've ever felt, scaled it at 25.5oz. I call it his "Harry Potter wand". He got a 26oz L1 two years ago and he kills with it, and he can switch back and forth with zero adjustment. Hand him a 27oz and he can't do anything.

that Demarini The One test 375 out the wrapper
Durable as hell but I'LL PASS

chrometip78

The Hungarian Barbarian
All for trying new things in BP to see what you like or what may work surprisingly well for you, but I like to stick to one bat for games and the majority of BP work.

IMO, timing and quality of contact are the two most important aspects of hitting, for hitting bombs or gaps. For me to nail those two aspects I need to be relatively consistent in swing weight. Switching bats during the game is kinda like gambling, you may go big but most of the time it doesn't end well. Batter controls how and where the ball is hit, not the bat.

Found I need about 100 hits with a new to me bat before I feel consistent enough to judge it, you may be different.

-Six-

Weiner

haha, I always think about this. I swing 26-28oz end load and balanced. I find I like a sledgehammer when I want to pull the ball and a lighter faster bat so I can let the ball get deeper on me to go right field. but im ****ing weird.

The BP Hero

Addicted to Softballfans
haha, I always think about this. I swing 26-28oz end load and balanced. I find I like a sledgehammer when I want to pull the ball and a lighter faster bat so I can let the ball get deeper on me to go right field. but im ****ing weird.

Probably that way for most people. If I want to cut the absolute crap out of something I can do it really well with a balanced bat. But if I want to hit something hard through someone or hit a home run, heavy and endload always works best. Just have to find the happy medium of it all with one bat and roll out.