Shoulder pain- Need exercises to help..

Big Erv 2010

The Veteran
I have had reoccuring pain in my throwing shoulder throughout the year. I am fine unless I have to throw really hard or over a long distance. The pain is in the deltoid right at the joint and just burns after making one of these throws.

Our season is just about done and I am looking for some exercises to strengthen the shoulder for next year without doing any further damage.

any thoughts?

Zigawhat22

Addicted to Softballfans
Good luck. Do lots of stretching and band workouts. Sounds like you have some small tearing in the rotator cuff. Really hard for it to heal on its own since little blood gets in there.

BigWheels25

Officially unretired
Well I am a veteran of two shoulder surgery procedures. I had the same burning sensation you do. Feels like a hit poker stuck in your shoulder right? Could be the rotator cuff or the labrum. Get it self some therapybands or some 5 pound wieghts. If there is damage, it might require repair. Therapy will sttenghthen the muscles in your shoulder but its up to u on how much u want to deal with the pain. Hope this helps bro.

oakleydude44

Geaux Time!
Best thing you can do first is see a doctor. I am also a vet to 2 shoulder surgeries for a torn labrum. If you have a tear and do not know it, then you will not be able to fix it.

single wally

Professional Amateur
Agree with the bros telling you to see a doc. You might actually make it worse trying to rehab it without knowing how bad the damage is.

Scoop21

Addicted to Softballfans
I had an MRI in January and was told I was as close to tearing a labrum without it being torn. Rehabbed for 6 months. I was also told I wouldn't play this year. My rehab went well and am still playing. Haven't felt the shoulder once. As a personal trainer I can give you exercises for your shoulder but rotator rehab exercises and labrum rehab exercises would be different. I know it may be pricey but get an MRI, figure out where the pain is coming from, then we can help you fix it. Without that, you may hurt yourself further.

Big Erv 2010

The Veteran
Thanks for the input guys- I guess its off to the Doc for me. Once I find out I will be back for the exercises you spoke of.

Swilldog

Everyone loves bombs!
also in the gym.. when ever something hurts as far a motion DON'T do that motion.. like if your knee hurts doing a leg lift threw the full movement... stop right before you reach the pain.

lOOkatme

Addicted to Softballfans
I rehabbed my shoulder myself.......I strengthened the muscles around the joint and eliminated my shoulder pain.....it took me about 3-4 weeks to get rid of the pain....maybe a little longer...forget when I started rehabbing. shoulder feels great and my throwing accuracy is better now........

cebarnold

Addicted to Softballfans
Agree w/ the others in here to see the doc first. It can be a pain and all but it's best to get some trained eyes on it.

I also like the resistance band therapy. I had that for my rptured achilles and now I use bands more than free weights - they're safer and I don't have a latex allergy so I'm good to go.

There's some really cool commercial grade resistance band vendors out there - from 5lb to 100lbs resistence per cable...

tkr18

Addicted to Softballfans
Sounds like you might also have some biceps tendon inflammation. Whatever the proper diagnosis, proper form and technique in doing the exercises is crucial after you see a doctor and/or therapist. Don't overdo weights thinking you have to build up to Michelin man proportions. The infraspinatus and supraspinatus are small muscles but are very important. Also, scapular retraction work may assist. The small muscles of the back are often overlooked, but really do provide well-rounded assistance.

Runk

The Veteran
Had the same pain. For me it was not that serious. Turned out my shoulders slumped forward slightly. For me to fix it and rid myself of the pain I had to do a lot of back exercises.

Rows, Pull downs, pull ups those sort of things. As long as I stay on top of them im fine. Stretch your chest as often as you can as well.

Good luck.

zbop

Addicted to Softballfans
Shoulder workout

Google throwers 10 and it will come up with a website result that has 10 exercises and illustration for proper form for just the shoulders. Had rotator repaired and most of these exercises were what i did in rehab...