Any Signal a call?

D0ubleZer0

The Aging Veteran...
Plate/Mat type league. Mat not live for scoring. Runner comes in and touches mat. Does umpire signal a call? If the runner leaves the field, and the other team appeals the run, what should be the call?

notafan/aplayer

Addicted to Softballfans
it depends on how far the base runner gets if he goes and sits down in the dug out he's out for leaving the field of play. i did this once when i played baseball and the umpire didn't say a word. he just called me out when i went to the dugout.

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
When a runner misses a base and no play is being made upon him, the umpire gives no signal whatsoever. S/he pretends nothing ever happened, as it is up to the defense to appeal the missed base. No signal, no call, nothing at all until the defense properly appeals.

Home plate is no different. If the runner misses home plate, the defense needs to make the appeal. If no appeal is made before the next pitch or before the defense leaves fair territory, then it's too late.

johnsonrod

Starting Player
When a runner misses a base and no play is being made upon him, the umpire gives no signal whatsoever. S/he pretends nothing ever happened, as it is up to the defense to appeal the missed base. No signal, no call, nothing at all until the defense properly appeals.

Home plate is no different. If the runner misses home plate, the defense needs to make the appeal. If no appeal is made before the next pitch or before the defense leaves fair territory, then it's too late.

whats the procedure for a play at the plate but the runner never touches home? do you still give no signal? or do you call the runner safe?

NCASAUmp

Un-Retired
whats the procedure for a play at the plate but the runner never touches home? do you still give no signal? or do you call the runner safe?

This is a tricky one. A good umpire does not want to tip off the offense OR the defense that the plate was missed. You should give a slight hesitation to allow for any continuation of the play, then signal safe like you normally would. If the defense then appeals that the runner missed the plate and tag the runner or plate, then make the call.

Look to Rules Supplement #1, article I. It pretty much repeats what I said above.